The 2021 Omaha Scoreboard

186,450 Views | 2294 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by swimmerbabe11
Buck Turgidson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jkag89 said:

Championship Series (Monday June 28th - Wednesday June 30th)
Final: (7) Mississippi St. 8 - (4) Vandy 2 Box Score
6:00 PM {4) Vandy vs (7) Mississippi St. (ESPN)
6:00 PM (7) Mississippi St. vs (4) Vandy (if necessary - ESPN2)

OP, I think you reversed the 6/28 score...
aginlakeway
AG
GoldenGun00 said:

I doubt the VandyBoys will care much about an asterisk in your record book if they lift a trophy.

They won't. We wouldn't if we were them.
HossAg
AG
They won't care. There will still be an asterisk.
Goose06
AG
GoldenGun00 said:

I doubt the VandyBoys will care much about an asterisk in your record book if they lift a trophy.

I agree and disagree. It will 100% bother a number of them, maybe all of them, that so many people will discredit them. Might even drive that team throughout the off season to work hard to win another one to prove all the haters wrong.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Within 10 days of the conclusion of the CWS, no one will remember the screwing NCSU took or the advantage Vanderbilt gained. All anyone will remember is who hoisted the trophy at the end of the tournament.

OK...maybe the NCSU players and fans will remember, but history will have long forgotten the "no contest" game in no time flat.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
aginlakeway
AG
Goose06 said:

GoldenGun00 said:

I agree and disagree. It will 100% bother a number of them, maybe all of them, that so many people will discredit them. Might even drive that team throughout the off season to work hard to win another one to prove all the haters wrong.

I understand what you're saying. But people forget over time. Record books are what matters over time. And trurhfully not many people follow college baseball. So there aren't many haters.

We would be dancing in the streets if we were Vandy and won it. And we wouldn't put an asterisk next to the banner at Olson Field. But I do understand your point.
aginlakeway
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Within 10 days of the conclusion of the CWS, no one will remember the screwing NCSU took or the advantage Vanderbilt gained. All anyone will remember is who hoisted the trophy at the end of the tournament.

OK...maybe the NCSU players and fans will remember, but history will have long forgotten the "no contest" game in no time flat.

Yep. History tends to forget who finished second. Or who didn't finish.
Sticks&Stones
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Catching up on the last few pages, I was about to post this sentiment.

No one but an extreme fan or hater of one of these three teams will give a crap
Goose06
AG
aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

GoldenGun00 said:

I understand what you're saying. But people forget over time. Record books are what matters over time. And trurhfully not many people follow college baseball. So there aren't many haters.

We would be dancing in the streets if we were Vandy and won it. And we wouldn't put an asterisk next to the banner at Olson Field. But I do understand your point.

I agree with you years down the road. This will definitely be a topic discussed throughout next season, particularly if Vandy (or NC State) makes a run for another title. If Vandy comes to Olsen, we will try to use it to get under Vandys skin. I'm sure other schools fans will too to some degree.

5 years from now though, or even 2 years from now most likely, it will certainly be a thing of the past. If it weren't for the ncaa sanctioning the whole thing, I do think there would be an asterisk in the official record book, but the ncaa can't admit their own complicity in creating the asterisk so I highly doubt that would happen.
histag10
AG
Sticks&Stones said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Vandy does have a LOT of haters....
hillcountryag86
AG
histag10 said:

Sticks&Stones said:

Luke The Drifter said:

Vandy does have a LOT of haters....
They certainly do. And they may use that hate to fuel a championship.
aginlakeway
AG
Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

GoldenGun00 said:

I agree with you years down the road. This will definitely be a topic discussed throughout next season, particularly if Vandy (or NC State) makes a run for another title. If Vandy comes to Olsen, we will try to use it to get under Vandys skin. I'm sure other schools fans will too to some degree.

5 years from now though, or even 2 years from now most likely, it will certainly be a thing of the past. If it weren't for the ncaa sanctioning the whole thing, I do think there would be an asterisk in the official record book, but the ncaa can't admit their own complicity in creating the asterisk so I highly doubt that would happen.

I disagree. There's never an asterisk when something anywhere like this happens. In any sport. The Memorial is a prime example of something very similar. The PGA Tour sanctions that event. No asterisk.

It sucks for NC State. But Vandy's the champs if they win game 2 or game 3.
Goose06
AG
aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

GoldenGun00 said:

I disagree. There's never an asterisk when something anywhere like this happens. In any sport. The Memorial is a prime example of something very similar. The PGA Tour sanctions that event. No asterisk.

It sucks for Ms State as well, they should not have had to face Leiter in game 1 (or at all). So whoever throws in game 2, should have thrown in game 1 so really all of these games have been affected.

Your example is just reinforcing my point. Of course the PGA isn't going to put an asterisk on it when they made the rule that resulted in a need for an asterisk! Here we are more than 10 days later and we all still know Rahm got screwed.
aginlakeway
AG
Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

GoldenGun00 said:

It sucks for Ms State as well, they should not have had to face Leiter in game 1 (or at all). So whoever throws in game 2, should have thrown in game 1 so really all of these games have been affected.

Your example is just reinforcing my point. Of course the PGA isn't going to put an asterisk on it when they made the rule that resulted in a need for an asterisk! Here we are more than 10 days later and we all still know Rahm got screwed.

Your said there should be an asterisk. There's never been an asterisk in any situation anywhere like this in the history of sports, team or individual. The team that wins is the winner. There are no "what ifs" in the record book next to the winners' name.

Vandy advanced based on the protocols in places, whether you agree or disagree with them. Vandy didn't break any rules. They benefitted from the rules, but they didn't break any rules.

The 1972 US Olympic basketball team comes to mind. Or Colorado's 5th down. Or any other team or individual that got hosed by a blatant bad call. But the Russians and Colorado are still listed as the winners. No asterisk.

I don't agree with what happened. Again, it sucked for NC State.
AgEng06
AG
aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

GoldenGun00 said:

Your said there should be an asterisk. There's never been an asterisk in any situation anywhere like this in the history of sports, team or individual. The team that wins is the winner. There are no "what ifs" in the record book next to the winners' name.

Vandy advanced based on the protocols in places, whether you agree or disagree with them. Vandy didn't break any rules. They benefitted from the rules, but they didn't break any rules.

The 1972 US Olympic basketball team comes to mind. Or Colorado's 5th down. Or any other team or individual that got hosed by a blatant bad call. But the Russians and Colorado are still listed as the winners. No asterisk.

aginlakeway
AG
AgEng06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

GoldenGun00 said:

What ridiculous school did that?
Goose06
AG
aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

GoldenGun00 said:

You are missing my point. I agree that no official asterisk will be placed and an asterisk is rarely placed. My point is fans (yes, probably only hardcore fans) will remember for at least 12 months and there will be a mental asterisk. Certainly NC State and possibly MS State fans will remember far far longer than 12 months and possibly forever and they will certainly place an asterisk on this season.
aginlakeway
AG
Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

GoldenGun00 said:

You are missing my point. I agree that no official asterisk will be placed and an asterisk is rarely placed. My point is fans (yes, probably only hardcore fans) will remember for at least 12 months and there will be a mental asterisk. Certainly NC State and possibly MS State fans will remember far far longer than 12 months and possibly forever and they will certainly place an asterisk on this season.

Agree. You stated that "If it weren't for the ncaa sanctioning the whole thing, I do think there would be an asterisk in the official record book." I don't think that would be the case.

Agree to disagree. And INSANE that this even happened.
cone
AG
NC state got screwed because of bull**** covid protocols

5th down still taints the Colorado title
Goose06
AG
aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

aginlakeway said:

Goose06 said:

GoldenGun00 said:

Agree. You stated that "If it weren't for the ncaa sanctioning the whole thing, I do think there would be an asterisk in the official record book." I don't think that would be the case.

Agree to disagree. And INSANE that this even happened.

My perception (rightly or wrongly) is that the NBA or the NCAA or the PGA is the penholder for the official record books for each of those sports. And my opinion is they would never put an asterisk on a championship that was won without cheating in accordance with the rules they laid out. That was my point with that statement. Either way, we have beaten this horse beyond death...
TXAggie2011
AG
It's part of a much larger context (Covid-19 and a weird 18 months for sports) that I guarantee it'll persist in memory longer than it would if it was a weird quirky thing (like Colorado's 5th down play, since it was mentioned above.)
aginlakeway
AG
cone said:

NC state got screwed because of bull**** covid protocols

5th down still taints the Colorado title

100% agree. But the record books still say they won that game and the NC.

IMO ... that was a worse travesty. Vandy still could have won 2 games vs. NC State. The Colorado result should have been reversed somehow.
PhatMack19
AG
Vandy now playing the card

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Vanderbilt-baseball-parents-subjected-to-racist-slurs-at-College-World-Series-finals-Mississippi-State-Bulldogs-SEC-167163855/

Ag 11
AG
**** vanderbilt
W
AG
did Vandy hire a P.R. firm after N.C. State was disqualified?

classic technique to create another story (deflection) to paint yourself as the victim (sympathy)
BenFiasco14
AG
PhatMack19 said:

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Vanderbilt-baseball-parents-subjected-to-racist-slurs-at-College-World-Series-finals-Mississippi-State-Bulldogs-SEC-167163855/

Don't believe it. This crap is far too prevalent generally and convenient in this case for me to believe it. Sick and tired of the race card.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
jkag89
Buck Turgidson said:

jkag89 said:

Championship Series (Monday June 28th - Wednesday June 30th)
Final: (7) Mississippi St. 8 - (4) Vandy 2 Box Score
6:00 PM {4) Vandy vs (7) Mississippi St. (ESPN)
6:00 PM (7) Mississippi St. vs (4) Vandy (if necessary - ESPN2)

OP, I think you reversed the 6/28 score...
Yeah I did, I wasn't quite awake yet when I posted. Fixed.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
jkag89
7:15 CDT guesstimate just announced on ESPN.
Charlie 31
AG
As was stated before on this thread, you can always count on three things in life:
1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Rain in Omaha during the College World Series
Martin Cash
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

PhatMack19 said:

Don't believe it. This crap is far too prevalent generally and convenient in this case for me to believe it. Sick and tired of the race card.
Doesn't say what was said. Whatever it was, it wasn't near as bad as that damn whistler.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
BenFiasco14 said:

PhatMack19 said:

So ESPN reporter who works for the race hustling segment of ESPN (the undefeated) reports that some parents told him that they had been called racist slurs. Doesn't mention specifics at all. The AD responds to that article that once again didn't have any specifics without being a witness to a specific incidence and not mentioning any specifics.

Here's the thing. He was in the press box and he got his information second hand

So second hand information is enough "proof" to label an entire university and its fans a racist? That's ****ed up.
swimmerbabe11
uhhh they didn't say the entire fanbase was racist. Everything I've seen is them saying "hey racist behavior is unacceptable" which is true. I haven't seen any official response saying "The entire Miss St fanbase is racist"

No, the drunk guys who did that are out of line... the end.

RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

uhhh they didn't say the entire fanbase was racist. Everything I've seen is them saying "hey racist behavior is unacceptable" which is true. I haven't seen any official response saying "The entire Miss St fanbase is racist"

No, the drunk guys who did that are out of line... the end.

His next tweet literally says "Do better Mississippi State".

It's weird to me he says it happens all the time but this is the first report of it and he didn't even directly witness it.

I agree that the individuals need to be dealt who say this stuff with and that the people shouldn't have to put up with that talk and hate. I don't like the lumping of entire institutions or races into the faults of individuals
swimmerbabe11
And yet everyone blames the whole fanbase of Vandy for the Whistler.

I dunno. I find this whole thing boring.
Some drunk people said awful **** that shouldn't be said and they got kicked out of the game for it. Non-story.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.