***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

146,959 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by M.C. Swag
shack009
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
shack009 said:

Iowaggie said:

Need defensive perimeter help and is available via free agency?

There is a free agent that rhymes with Villain Books that is available and may be discounted.

Absolutely not. Dude thinks he's an all star level offensive player and he wants the ball all the time. Shot under 33% from 3 this year and less than 36% on catch and shoot 3s. Less than 50% TS% and less than 47% effective FG%.

He'll also want like $25 mil a year and a terrible team will give it to him. Dude is a losing player.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Talk about delusional. At most, he's entitled to something in the Dorian Finney Smith range (he's better at defense but worse at offense than DFS when you consider he wants to be more than a 3 and D guy). So maybe $9-12 million per year or something like that.

I'll be shocked if someone offers him $20+ per year. He's worth nowhere close to that even without considering the extra baggage he comes with.
shack009
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Talk about delusional. At most, he's entitled to something in the Dorian Finney Smith range (he's better at defense but worse at offense than DFS when you consider he wants to be more than a 3 and D guy). So maybe $9-12 million per year or something like that.

I'll be shocked if someone offers him $20+ per year. He's worth nowhere close to that even without considering the extra baggage he comes with.

I supposed the Brooks truthers could use DFS as an example of how brooks could be better in the Mavs offense, since DFS' 3P% absolutely tanked the second he left Dallas.

The problem is that DFS has a great role player mindset and Brooks thinks he's the second coming.
Guitarsoup
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I think he's maybe worth DFS money if he wasn't such a pita.
hph6203
AG
Coach Bud, future head coach of your Dallas Mavericks!
shack009
AG
hph6203 said:

Don't give me hope .gif
Iowaggie
AG
hph6203 said:

That would require a change in New Orleans as the rest of the SW division would have coaches from the Popovich tree. All but Willie Green would have been with Spurs from 2007-09.

Spurs - Pop
Mavs - Bud (w/ Spurs 1996-2013)
Grizzlies - T Jenkins (07-13 w/ Spurs; 13-19 with Bud teams)
Rockets - Ime Udoka (player 07-09; assistant 12-19)

South Platte
Every year I post the same confused post as we enter off-season. I don't understand why we can't simply put a team together through free agency and the draft. There seem to be all these restrictions and limitations for Dallas that other teams don't have.

There has never been more talent across the NBA and globally. We have to be able to find 7-8 good players. Let the bad players walk, sign better players, draft a starter this summer. Has the DMN put together a logical 3-5 step process for Dallas to improve the roster for next season and going forward? Get George Riba to interview Cuban on the exact steps he's going take.

Or does someone on here know the answers?
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

I don't understand why we can't simply put a team together through free agency and the draft. There seem to be all these restrictions and limitations for Dallas that other teams don't have.

All teams have the same restrictions.
This year Dallas went $23mm into the luxury tax, and that resulted in a luxury tax bill of over $56mm.
Dallas had a tax payer Mid-level Exception, which they split between Jalen Hardy and JaVale McGee. This exception is about half of what teams that do not pay luxury tax can afford.

Dallas traded their 2022 first round pick for Christian Wood. In general, Dallas has been good enough that their first round pick is not very good and it takes a great deal of luck to hit on a later first round pick.

Last summer, because of Dallas' salary cap situation, they were able to use the exception (Hardy/McGee) and then only allowed to bring in minimum-salary players. Obviously, the talent level is usually not that great for minimum level players, unless the players think that they are joining a team that will challenge for the title (like LeBron bringing in his buddies.)

Quote:

There has never been more talent across the NBA and globally. We have to be able to find 7-8 good players. Let the bad players walk, sign better players, draft a starter this summer.
Well, harder than it sounds there. Can't let bad players walk until their contracts are over. This summer some will walk. But because of overpaid players (Hardaway, Bertans, Kleiber) the Mavs still won't have a lot of room.

Mavs will have a good first rounder, depending on how the lottery falls.

Quote:

Has the DMN put together a logical 3-5 step process for Dallas to improve the roster for next season and going forward? Get George Riba to interview Cuban on the exact steps he's going take.

Why would the DMN know anything?

Quote:

Or does someone on here know the answers?

Mavs situation:

The Lottery is next Tuesday. The lottery is for the first four picks only and all other picks fall in order of record.
Dallas odds:
1st: 3%
2nd: 3.3%
3rd: 3.6%
4th: 4.0%
10th: 65.9%
Pick going to NYK: 20.2%

League Salary Cap: 134mm
League Luxury Tax: 162mm

Dallas players under contract with Salaries:
Luka: 40.1mm
THJ: 17.9mm
Bertans: 17mm
Maxi: 11mm
Bullock: 10.5mm (only 5.5mm guaranteed)
JaVale: 5.7mm
Green: 4.8mm
Hardy 1.7mm
1st round pick: (1st=10mm, 10th=4.3mm)
Cap hold: 900k (have to have 12 players)
Cap hold: 900k
Cap hold: 900k
--------------------------------------------------
~115.7mm, using 10th pick salary.
About 18mm in cap space, if the Mavs waive all free agents

Free agents/cap holds:
Kyrie Irving
Christian Wood
DWight Powell
Nic Melli
McKinley Wright
Justin Holliday
Markieff Morris
Theo Pinson
Frank Ntilikina
Moses Wright

Either those players sign with the Mavs, sign with someone else, or the Mavs waive their right to those players to clear up the holds. Because of those holds, the Mavs will essentially operate as a team OVER the cap.

Free Agency Exceptions (what they can use to sign a player) since they are essentially over the cap, even though there is technically cap rom)
Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level: 12.2mm
Bi-Annual Exception: 4.5mm

Other things Mavs could do: Waive/stretch.
You can waive a player and stretch their remaining salary over twice the number of years plus one. So Bertans has two seasons left at 17mm and 16mm guaranteed. You waive Bertans and you still pay him that salary, but his salary only counts against you over 5 years rather than two. So instead of 17mm this year, it is 33/5 or 6.6mm per year for 5 years and Bertans is free to sign with any team he wants. That would save the Mavs 11mm this year on the cap and luxury tax, but Bertans' money wouldn't be over after next year.

If the Mavs decide to spent a lot on Kyrie+Wood, so much that they would go over the luxury tax, they would have only the tax-payer exception to use rather than the regular payer mid-level exception.

Current Depth (assuming Kyrie stays)

Maxi/McGee
Bullock/Bertans
THJ/Green
Luka/Hardy
Kyrie

Wood probably walks, but I don't think he has a huge market.
Mavs want to add defense and PF/C talent/depth.

Some options at 10th pick:
GG Jackson, South Carolina Stretch4. Will probably be a solid interior scorer right away.
Dereck Lively, Duke, Center. 7'1 with 7'7 wingspan. Had a disappointing year, but would probably be able to play a rim protecting role right away.
Gradey Dick, Kansas, wing. Going to be a defensive liability, but may be the best available. Come in and spread the floor.
Cason Wallace, Kentucky, Combo, Again, not a needed position, but may be the best available.
Cam Whitmore, Nova, SF/PF. Just 6'7, so not quite the size you would want, but is strong and athletic, and likes to play down low.
Kyle Flipowski, Duke, center. Would be a good team guy, but may not be as athletic as you want for a rim protector.

Options for PF/C with some defense that are FAs:
Naz Reid, Minn, center. Gotta be your first choice. Good offensive skills, and good rim protector. He may go for more than the 12mm.
Draymond Green is old and a free agent. Will GSW keep the band together after losing to LA?
Harrison Barnes. Bring him back? He would be a good fit for what Dallas needs, but may get more than the MLE.
Rui Hachimura, Lakers. I think LA matches any MLE, though.
Thomas Bryant, Center, Denver. Not exciting.
Mason Plumlee, center, Clippers.
Andre Drummond, center, bulls. Has a player option. Might be a good target at the BiAnnual. Put up 6/6 in 13mpg. Is still under 30.
Dewayne Dedmon - for vet min. Just a situational rim protector.
Nick Richards, Charlotte. Great offensive rebounder, rim protector, just 25.

I think with Luka/Kyrie and a complete and total lack of big man talent, these guys will know that they can get more PT than most other teams, which should be attractive.

Dallas also can gain assets by signing and trading Wood and/or other players that are free agents.

So there you go. Resign Kyrie, draft a guy like GG Jackson or Cam Whitmore, then use the MLE on Naz Reid and the BAE on Nick Richards or Thomas Bryant and you are back in business.
South Platte
I was being facetious with respect the restrictions. Other teams are able to build on the fly, we seem to let the restrictions prevent us from doing anything.

I think you should head up to the AAC this morning with this summary and ask for a meeting with the Bobs.

Where did you get all of this?
Guitarsoup
AG
I wrote it. I've always been interested in NBA free agency and stuff, so have been writing these things out on Texags for a long time.

A problem for the Mavs has also been a blessing for the Mavs. Cuban has never been afraid to swing big. Sometimes that works out and sometimes you get stuck with a big contract or unmovable guy that hinders the ability to bring in more talent.
South Platte
It's great stuff, thanks. You need a greater forum for this than Texags. Get your own weekly radio slot with the Hardline.
jeffdjohnson
Tomorrow is pretty big for the Mavs' ability to recover from all of their mistakes over the last 4 years. I don't think the Mavs losing their pick tomorrow is necessarily the end of the world, but it would just keep shrinking their already small margin of error. I'm thinking the Mavs are going to trade 2 picks this summer to try to improve their team. It will either be #10 and 2027 or 2025 and 2027. I think the only way the Mavs don't trade their pick is if they jump to #1. In that case, I think they would take Wembyana.
hph6203
AG
I'm predicting doom.
Zachary Klement
AG
If the Mavs landed 1.01, would anyone else consider flipping it?
Guitarsoup
AG
Zachary Klement said:

You'd have to get a package of like Jokic, Michael Porter and multiple picks.
Zachary Klement
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

I just don't see any world he's as good as Jokic or Giannis. I feel like he's going to be a bust…I'd flip the 1.01 for Jaylen Brown and some role players.
Guitarsoup
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

I just don't see any world he's as good as Jokic or Giannis. I feel like he's going to be a bust…I'd flip the 1.01 for Jaylen Brown and some role players.
With the Mavs' team, you could make an argument that you trade Wemby for Brown+Smart+the Williams but I think both teams say no.

Wemby is supposed to be Durant on offense and JJJ on defense.
Zachary Klement
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

With the Mavs' team, you could make an argument that you trade Wemby for Brown+Smart+the Williams but I think both teams say no.

I just don't see it with his build…JJJ looks substantially more muscular, but who knows.
Ol Jock 99
AG
The athletic had an interesting article about Dallas trading to a lower protected pick if they get a reasonable high spot, especially if they can package some of their dead weight with it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

Guitarsoup said:

Zachary Klement said:

I just don't see it with his build…JJJ looks substantially more muscular, but who knows.

Are you comparing teenager jjj to teenager Wemby?

What about Teen Giannis?

I do think the likelihood of major injuries to Wemby is super high, but you still roll the dice on him unless someone wants to obliterate their team for him.

Guitarsoup
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

The athletic had an interesting article about Dallas trading to a lower protected pick if they get a reasonable high spot, especially if they can package some of their dead weight with it.
I could see it. The only team that can absorb significant salary without taking back before the next fiscal season starts is the Spurs with a little over 22mm. So that could be Bertans+JaVale or THJ by himself. Every other team would need to match salaries. Get #3 and Wemby is #1 and Miller is #2 and the Mavs are an awful place for Scoot, so trade Bertans+JaVale+#3 to the Spurs for #6 or 7 and a protected pick like the Charlotte Hornets pick the Spurs own next year.

Mavs are still guranteed a Thompson, Walker, or Whitmore, get an extra pick and dump 20mm in deadweight.
shack009
AG
People are posting like there isn't a larger chance we send the pick than get a top 4 pick.
J.P. 03
AG
So….anybody feel like taking one for the team and making an irresponsible promise to do something crazy if the Mavs land #1 tonight?
Jerry-Ag
Give me Victor or give me HIV
Get back or get Jerry’d
DannyDuberstein
AG
Jerry-Ag said:

Give me Victor or give me HIV

This called taking one for the team. Or taking one from the team if it's the 1991 Lakers
Spaceship
AG
Whew… #10
J.P. 03
AG
We did it! The tank worked!
zgolfz85
AG
**** San Antonio…enjoy the worst city in texas wemby
hph6203
AG
His brain is going to rot into a puddle on the floor being around Greg Popovich.
Guitarsoup
AG
zgolfz85 said:

He needs to add lots of weight, so all taco diet incoming
Spaceship
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Paris to San Antonio
hph6203
AG
Chuck says churros. So he can match your women.
South Platte
Can Gradey Dick play like Tyler Herro?
shack009
AG
South Platte said:

Can Gradey Dick play like Tyler Herro?

Heck no on him.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.