***Official 2022 - 2023 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

144,859 Views | 1911 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Zachary Klement
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If we get fined for standing during playoff games, I wonder if NY will get fined for tampering.
zgolfz85
AG
27.5 per, yeah no thanks
Iowaggie
AG
It would put him at 23rd highest paid guard (per Spotrac) assuming nobody passes him this off-season.

Among PGs, it puts him 14th among PGs which does not include a couple PGs that will surpass him after their rookie contract is up.

So that is going to be the price to get an average PG.

fightinags2013
AG
Worst case scenario is happening- letting him walk for nothing
Sign and trade would have been a little better.

I get not wanting to pay him so much, but their alternative is going to be some bum/washed get for the MLE. Just a gut punch. Will be interesting to see the Cuban spin.
mavsfan4ever
AG
MW03 said:

Texas Ag 15 said:

i've read some of that as well, specifically, Brunson's camp feeling that he will be limited in development here with Luka since he is so ball dominant. It's definitely a larger risk for him to go to the Knicks where you have to prove you can be THE guy vs you can just follow Luka.

My question would be, what is the backup plan for the Mavs if Brunson doesn't resign? You have to spend that money somehow, and not sure who would even be available for the Mavs to get

There's nobody besides Brunson. From @CBAMavs

Quote:

The Mavericks wouldn't gain any mechanism this offseason if Brunson leaves into the Knicks cap space. Dallas is way over the cap. It could help the Mavericks to avoid the tax apron. They would still need to shed more salary but getting below would be easier when you minus what would have been Brunson's $20 million or more salary. That could open the door for receiving a free agent in a sign-and-trade but the Mavericks would have to send out assets to shed the extra money and it might prevent them from being able to use their MLE.

Dallas will also not be a cap space team in 2023 so the benefit of Brunson leaving wouldn't be anything substantial. It could allow the Mavericks to have the Full MLE rather than the Taxpayer MLE depending on who they re-sign out of Maxi Kleber, Christian Wood, Dwight Powell, or Frank Ntilikina.

The Mavericks project to potentially have $45 million in cap space, right! However, that's with only 4 salaries. They will surely add salaries in the future that push them past the point of having usable cap space. The point is, if you have a supermax guy like Luka Doncic and want to remain competitive, you generally won't have cap space.

This is the year where it IS possible the Mavericks could have cap space because their books are pretty clear now. The new TV deal kicks in that year and the Mavericks have a few contracts expiring that summer: Davis Bertans, Tim Hardaway, and maybe an opt-out Dorian Finney-Smith. So signing Brunson COULD block our potential cap space then EXCEPT he'd be 28 and with the cap going up would likely opt out himself!

- - -

Brunson signing for an uncomfortably high amount would not impair the Mavericks in any way. However not re-signing him would yield very little in terms of helping Dallas with team building while also making the Mavericks substantially worse for Luka's young prime.

It would be a huge mistake to let Brunson walk to save a potential $5 million and would be dumb according to their cap sheet and the CBA. Even if you gauge his initial value at $18 million, paying an $18 million dollar player $25 million (or even $27 million) would be a better outcome than hunting for his replacement using the same $6.392 million taxpayer MLE we already have.

If Brunson comes out at his hypothetical Knicks press conference and says something like "The Mavericks offered me more money but I wanted to be with my dad and Leon in the Big Apple" then we would reasonably blame Donnie Nelson for signing him to a non-guaranteed 4th year instead of a team option AND Nico Harrison for not signing Brunson to an extension when it was possible.

It's true that the Luxury Tax is a real threat this season and I have pegged their tax being over $80 million if they re-sign Brunson and use the Taxpayer MLE. They might get some relief next year with Powell and Wood expiring, but having a supermax top five player means Dallas will be in the tax if they want to complete for a championship. Since Luka has stated his goal and Cuban has said keeping Luka is job number one… I don't see letting Brunson walk as a possibility.

All of you posting you don't want him at those numbers need to read this. We can get no one with that money. No one. So this is worst case scenario.
Infection_Ag11
AG
fightinags2013 said:

Worst case scenario is happening- letting him walk for nothing
Sign and trade would have been a little better.

I get not wanting to pay him so much, but their alternative is going to be some bum/washed get for the MLE. Just a gut punch. Will be interesting to see the Cuban spin.

I'm not sure why people keep saying we're "letting him walk".

At this point there is no evidence that Brunson is leaving Dallas for more money. The exact opposite is actually more likely the truth.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Proposition Joe
And the time in which we could have made him an offer he couldn't refuse he was a sub 0.5-PPM type guard.

He didn't really become a "oh crap we have to lock this guy up he's a key piece" until April/May.
Trucker 96
Yeah, I don't think the Mavs are going to have much choice in the matter. He's gonna take that 4 year deal that pays him not far from the max, allows him to be lead dog to help set up the next big deal, and plays in an organization with people close to him.
NoahAg
Does it make sense to say the Knicks are dumb for wanting to pay him this much, but at the same time the Mavs would be dumb not to pay him as much as possible?

Just from a basketball perspective I don't think he raises the Knicks to the top of the Eastern Conference. But I also think the Mavs take a step back if he leaves.
Let's go, Brandon!
hph6203
AG
Yes. Knicks should be blowing up their team entirely. Not incrementally improving by overpaying an undersized guard.
Trucker 96
Pretty much. It boils down to the fact that the Knicks could use that $$$ elsewhere. The Mavs can basically only use it on Jalen. Big difference
Infection_Ag11
AG
NoahAg said:

Does it make sense to say the Knicks are dumb for wanting to pay him this much, but at the same time the Mavs would be dumb not to pay him as much as possible?

Just from a basketball perspective I don't think he raises the Knicks to the top of the Eastern Conference. But I also think the Mavs take a step back if he leaves.

The Knicks can spend that money on anyone, Dallas can ONLY spend it on Brunson. And Dallas knows what they have more or less in him, whereas New York will be putting him in a new offense without anyone close to Luka's ability to take the pressure off him.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fightinags2013
AG
That's fair. Probably not the best way to word it.

We should have locked him up when we (reportedly) had other chances.
hph6203
AG
Who expected Jalen Brunson to hold free agency meetings like he's Lebron or KD at the start of last season?
Spaceship
AG
With Brunson gone and Beal opting out, is he an option at all for Dallas?
Trucker 96
hph6203 said:

Who expected Jalen Brunson to hold free agency meetings like he's Lebron or KD at the start of last season?

Seriously. Dude was coming off a playoff series where he was basically useless.

Interesting conversation on the Ticket between Bob, Jake, and Brian Demaris about the situation.

1) Going back to Brunson being drafted, he and his dad are pissed he fell out of the 1st round. Mavs basically make good by guaranteeing his 3rd year and having a team option for year 4, which is what 1st rounders get. Where they screw up is they allowed Brunson's agent to squeeze them out of putting a qualifying offer stipulation for year 5 that could have kept him a restricted FA (which would typically be part of a 1st round deal). So big picture, Brunson ends up with a structure more favorable than a 1st round deal

2) Thinking is that Daddy Brunson has been setting this up since last offseason when they didn't get the deal he wanted coming off a playoff series where he was useless

3) they feel like the mid-season extension talk is a bunch of smoke being blown by Daddy Brunson. He's acting indignant about not getting an offer they would not have accepted anyway

Big picture, their feeling is basically that he was good as gone after last offseason, partly assisted by the Mavs playing nice about the 5th year in his rookie deal. Mavs are taking it in the shorts PR-wise for keeping their mouth shut while Daddy Brunson has crafted the narrative he's been spewing since the Jazz series was 2-2
Trucker 96
Btw, Brunson is now also going to meet with the Heat which is a move solely geared toward getting the stink of around a year Knicks tampering off this thing. As a reminder, the Knicks president since March 2020 has been Leon Rose, Brunson's agent who negotiated that rookie deal and is very close to both Brunsons. This whole thing has been cooking for a long time
PatAg
AG
Fore Left! said:

Btw, Brunson is now also going to meet with the Heat which is a move solely geared toward getting the stink of around a year Knicks tampering off this thing. As a reminder, the Knicks president since March 2020 has been Leon Rose, Brunson's agent who negotiated that rookie deal and is very close to both Brunsons. This whole thing has been cooking for a long time
One of Brunson's current agents is Sam Rose, son of Leon Rose
Iowaggie
AG
Fore Left! said:

Trucker 96
So the Heat aren't playing along and having their time wasted as anti-tampering camo. Picked up by YahooSports yesterday and widely reported. Maybe they pulled it out of thin air, or feels like a cover rumor from the Brunson camp
Texas Ag 15
AG
Definitely smells like tampering going on. I know there were a lot of Mavs executives pissed that the Knicks sent people to one of our playoff games. Very fine line not to be tampering when your Dad works for the team...
Trucker 96
Yeah, that was a pretty bold move. Once a deal is inked, I'm curious if the Mavs will raise the whole thing with the league office. Tampering in the NBA has been a joke, but they did amplify the fines a few years ago to try to get in front of it.
Trucker 96
PatAg said:

Fore Left! said:

One of Brunson's current agents is Sam Rose, son of Leon Rose

Yes. Rick Brunson was also Leon Rose's first player client. They are all TIGHT
True Anomaly
AG
It reassures me a little that this is not at all on the Mavs for losing Brunson. In retrospect, this was such a foregone conclusion that we should've known better
NoahAg
So you're telling me there's a chance!

Mavs and Brunson meeting in NY!
Let's go, Brandon!
HawthornAggie
AG
Durant requesting a trade per ESPN
Trucker 96
Durant wants to go to phoenix
NoahAg
Crazy. Is there anyone Durant gets along with?
Let's go, Brandon!
Ol Jock 99
AG
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Mavs willing to part with Luka? Lol.
hph6203
AG
If Kyrie comes to Dallas I'm going to become a card carrying member of the flat earth society, because the world has become too absurd to be round.
PatAg
AG
I don't want Kyrie
Zachary Klement
AG
Is Kevin Sumlin secretly working in the Nets' front office?
MW03
AG
You know, after watching the 2022 campaign, it occurred to me that all Dallas needed to win a championship was a ball-dominant defense-deficient point guard with an apparent attitude problem. If only we could could find someone to bring the ball up, we wouldn't have to worry about DEFENDING THE MFING RIM
NoahAg
Kyrie
Let's go, Brandon!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.