Manchester United 2020-21 Thread

38,322 Views | 912 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As United throw everything forward to find an equalizer, Neymar counters and ices it.

We played well enough to win and missed some golden chances. Both teams had some large slices of luck. Ole's incompetence meant that we never had a realistic chance after Fred was sent off.
Thunder18
AG
We better beat Leipzig next week
Bmac04
AG
Hello Europa
Dre_00
Thunder18 said:

We better beat Leipzig next week

We only need a draw. And a win likely wouldn't be much better than a draw. That 3rd goal last night means PSG holds the tiebreaker with United. We can only potentially top the group if PSG doesn't beat Basaksehir.
deadbq03
AG
There have been zero draws in the group, so my twisted mind is predicting we'll see both games end in a draw next week and my team will get left out (and deservingly so if I'm honest with myself).

It'll be a fitting end to a group with 3 teams with loads of potential, but significant flaws that make it unlikely that any of the three would do well in the knockout without changes in the winter break.
Dre_00
I mostly agree. I could see PSG winning a couple of knockout games especially with a favorable draw but they aren't the primary contenders to win it. And neither United or RBL would be assured of getting past the Rof16 if they get there. As the 2nd place finisher, they'd likely be the underdog against whomever they played.
Thunder18
AG
Conceding goals off corners. Typical
Dre_00
So...Bruno Fernandes has to win every MVP, Player of the Month, etc. award for the rest of his United career, right?
Thunder18
AG
2 quick goals and we somehow lead
Thunder18
AG
Went from 16th in the table at half, to 4th
Dre_00
This team...they have these brief moments where you're like "OK, they could be something." 2nd half was one of those times. 2nd half against RBL was one of those times. They do it just enough to keep you hanging on even if 70% of the time you're like "This will never work."
Dre_00

I did not know that United had given up the first goal in all their away games and yet...won each one.
Furlock Bones
AG
This squad is impossible to figure out.
planoaggie123
AG
Agree. They are confusing.

Could this be a sign of less than ideal coaching? Or weak minded players? Obviously have the talent to toss in 3 away goals in second half but that same talent can easily get torched.

Fun game none-the-less.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Sounds like Pogs isn't signing that extension and wants out in the next Transfer Window. If true, get as much as you can and move on. The rocket goal this weekend aside, he's played like **** the limited time he's gotten.
Mathguy64
AG
Bye Felicia. Seriously.
Dre_00
Meh, I wouldn't do a thing. Let Raiola complain as much as he wants...nothing happens in January. United likely wouldn't be able to replace him with anything of reasonable cost or quality (mostly due to their own ineptness but still). No one is going to pay a reasonable fee for him with finances being what they are. Heck, there are maybe 1-2 clubs in the world who would even consider paying his salary at its current rate. His market at his salary is effectively Real Madrid...maybe PSG if they're interested. That's it.

Similar to last year, United also has the leverage of the Euros as well. You want to be fit and in form for France in 2021? Your best chance is to find your form at United in the spring. Even if United sold him to Real, there's a fair bit of risk in moving into a new team, new coach, etc. (and Real isn't exactly lighting it up...they may not even make the Europa League knockout stage let alone the CL knockouts).

Hold him...sell him in the summer when the financial state of football is better if he's still not performing and/or wants out. There's literally nothing to gain by selling him in the middle of a season where you're playing every 4 days for 8 months and you likely aren't going to get a replacement for him.
Dre_00
The return of Luke Shaw means the return of the 5-3-2 with Pogba moving to the bench. Countdown to expletive laden Raiola tweet in 3...2...1...
Skitch05
AG
I'd be OK if United never worked with another Raiola client after Pogba leaves at this point....
Mathguy64
AG
2:00" in and down 1-0
Thunder18
AG
That bald clown scored on us. Awful
lamivudine
Bye Bye Ole
Mathguy64
AG
2-0. What a joke.
Thunder18
AG
What an absolute joke
Furlock Bones
AG
United and Ole throwing away a the group is just incredible.
Mathguy64
AG
It should be 3-0. They just missed an open net from 10 yds out.
Mathguy64
AG
Now it's 3-0. But it's should come off for offside. And it does. Still 2-0
Thunder18
AG
Can we opt to not play in Europa
Dre_00
We paid 80 million pounds for an average defender because he's English and Woodward is a moron.
Skitch05
AG
Wow, this just got interesting. Come on United!
Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

We paid 80 million pounds for an average defender because he's English and Woodward is a moron.

And he ended up costing us the game.*

* I know that's extremely simplistic to say but it makes me feel better so I'm going with it.
Thunder18
AG
Just imagine we played anything close to competent defense this match...or in Istanbul for that matter
Rudyjax
AG
Dre_00
OK that's funny.
Dre_00
I think that's what ultimately will doom Ole. He's gotten some very good results against some very good teams. But he also regularly has results like losing 2-1 to not good Turkish teams. The unfortunate part is because he gets good results against good teams he'll likely be given a lot of latitude and a lot of patience even though this is probably as good as he can be.

I hope I'm wrong. It would be really nice for Ole to become elite at United with an elite team that may stumble on very rare occasions but is more often dominating. And to be fair, the squad he' working with is far from perfect. It's imbalanced and it has gaps in talent. But I think this is his max with this team and one could argue that there are available coaches who could be more successful with this squad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.