Manchester United 2020-21 Thread

38,321 Views | 912 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Oddly, Shaw has been much better as a LCB in a 5-3-2 than as a LB in a 4 man backline. Which is nice in that the 5-3-2 is the preferred set up against big clubs but a bit of a problem in 90% of the league matches when a 4 man backline is preferred/needed.

Tuanzebe was extremely good as well. If he stays healthy, he needs to see more starts.
byfLuger41
AG
Just watched the Barstool video on AWB sex triangle.

He might be my new favorite RB!
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Dre_00 said:

Oddly, Shaw has been much better as a LCB in a 5-3-2 than as a LB in a 4 man backline. Which is nice in that the 5-3-2 is the preferred set up against big clubs but a bit of a problem in 90% of the league matches when a 4 man backline is preferred/needed.

Tuanzebe was extremely good as well. If he stays healthy, he needs to see more starts.

Tuanzebe was fantastic. He's great on the ball and plays calm, but aggressive. If the kid can stay healthy he might be a great pairing with Lindelof or Maguire
AG
byfLuger41 said:

Just watched the Barstool video on AWB sex triangle.

He might be my new favorite RB!

It's no multiple year affair with your brother's wife, but it's living up to the United standard
gougler08
AG
Definitely some classy women he's hanging out with
Dre_00
Only caught the last 30 minutes but I refuse to believe that a team with 7 points in 5 games can't find a starting spot for Pogba or Van der Beek. Absurd.
AG
Dre_00 said:

Only caught the last 30 minutes but I refuse to believe that a team with 7 points in 5 games can't find a starting spot for Pogba or Van der Beek. Absurd.
i dont quite get it either. can DVB not go out in place of James? or slide Bruno out to where Mata started and put Pogs in the middle? A midfield 4 of Bruno/Pogba/DVB/Fred would seemingly be my ideal lineup, with Rashford or Martial up top (back 5 of Wan-Bissak/Lindelof/Maguire/Shaw/Telles). But maybe OGS is worried about the defensive liabilities. Thats the only thing i can think of. (despite playing for years myself, i am hardly an expert. Hell, i would consider myself barely intelligible when it comes to high level strategy)

Thunder18
AG
Rashford with an immediate impact, 2 goals in the last 5 minutes
Thunder18
AG
Marcus Rashford, MBE with the hatty
planoaggie123
AG
What is going on....5 goals? Did RBL just give up?
deadbq03
AG
planoaggie123 said:

What is going on....5 goals? Did RBL just give up?
Probably a bit, but really our defense has been out of sorts all game. Starting RCB and RWB out today and starting 6 (Tyler Adams) out as well. I felt like for the first half, our aggressive play upfield masked this weakness, but in the second half y'all seemed to get better with each attack. Rashford was the nail in the coffin, but I think y'all would've gotten more points even without that change.

Congrats on the win.
Dre_00
I was shocked at how easily United were able to find space in between RBL's center backs. It's one thing to score on a quick counter against a team who presses high (like United's 2nd) but goals 3,4, and 5 seemed to come largely from the center backs being miles apart from one another.
deadbq03
AG
It was shocking. Leipzig usually have a pretty stingy defense.

Honestly, I think this game shows how important Tyler Adams is to Leipzig. I mentioned it in the summer here when y'all showed interest in Upamecano... since he loves to move up into the midfield, it's important to have a DM who's good at moving back to cover. Adams does that splendidly for us. Without that cover, Upamecano becomes a liability.

I have to give a lot of credit to United. The discipline as a whole on defense was very good, and I credit your coaches for exploiting our weakness... we are notoriously good at controlling the ball and moving forward, only to have attacks fizzle in the final third due to lack of creativity. This was true even last year when we had Timo Werner. Our scoring chances almost exclusively come in transition, so a disciplined defense will hold us even if it looks like we're making inroads in the middle of the pitch. I was particularly impressed with Wan-Bissaka. Angelino is our little motor who makes things happen in transition and he was completely shut down.
Mathguy64
AG
This team is just not designed to play in the EPL. It's incapable of breaking anyone down.
Thunder18
AG
Just sell Pogba already
Thunder18
AG
Utterly pathetic performance
Thunder18
AG
Ole's gotta go, bring in Poch and try to salvage this season while there's still time
Mathguy64
AG
How do you beat PSG, RB Leipzig and lose to freaking Istanbul B^&&%&$ ? What a **** show.
Onceaggie2.0
Mathguy64 said:

How do you beat PSG, RB Leipzig and lose to freaking Istanbul B^&&%&$ ? What a **** show.

Ole
Mathguy64
AG
Make or break game today.
Thunder18
AG
Maguire just got kicked across the midsection by 2 Everton players in the box
Thunder18
AG
Rashford should've buried that
ScottishFire
AG
Bruno gives up his hat trick, so Cavani can score his first goal in Red.

Selfless.

Love that guy.
Mathguy64
AG
40 minutes in and we have hardly put 3 passes together. In fact a fair number of passes have gone right to a WBA player.
Mathguy64
AG
What a sequence. WBA gets a PK that gets wiped out by VAR. then we get a PK for handling that is sketchy and the take is saved. Except the goalie is off his line by a good yard. So he gets caught by VAR and the retake is made.
Dre_00
I didn't have a problem with United's PK. Defender's arm wasn't in a natural position and it clearly hit his hand. It's harsh but it's often given these days.

I did have a problem with United's performance. The only time they looked dangerous was on the break and/or if West Brom gave them an assist. Rashford should've buried a chance after a West Brom defender slid past an attempted clearance but other than that...I can't remember anything clear cut that United created. A Rashford shot from distance (it was hit well but Johnstone wasn't that bothered by it)? Maguire off a corner?

Anyway, we're about 1/5 of the way through the season and this team doesn't seem to be any better at anything now than at week 1. Still look poor against teams who cede possession to them. Still getting underwhelming performances from too many players. Still not much reason to think this team can do much beyond a top 6 finish and perhaps a QF run in a cup.
Mathguy64
AG
I watched this match and thought afterwards "I have no earthly idea what system or formation they are running." And that's frustrating because during Operation Restart the play and system was clear, well defined and well run.
Mathguy64
AG
Contrast our random play for what Leeds does. Watching them this morning you can see the clear plan. They don't quite have the technical skills to pull it off but they stick to it. The players know where to go, who to expect to be where on the pitch and each pass has a purpose. And their work rate is very high.
jeffk
AG
So y'all are going to hire Bielsa then?
Mathguy64
AG
Leeds is fun to watch. And unlucky as hell. They have hit everything but the inside of the net.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I joked in our season opener that Leeds would be my favorite team to watch other than the days we were playing them.
Dre_00
After watching the Basaksehir game, I continue to be flabbergasted by why Van de Beek doesn't play more especially if Pogba isn't going to start/play. Play him as a number 8 and be done with it. He's by far the best box-to-box mid we have and we really need a good box-to-box mid seeing as how none of our defensive mid options are stellar.
Furlock Bones
AG
Why is it that as soon as I saw Ward-Prowse was taking a corner I knew it would be a goal against United? How have we still not learned to defend his corners?
Mathguy64
AG
Furlock Bones said:

Why is it that as soon as I saw Ward-Prowse was taking a corner I knew it would be a goal against United? How have we still not learned to defend his corners?

Or his free kicks.
byfLuger41

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.