Manchester United 2020-21 Thread

37,916 Views | 912 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is time anyway? It's an illusion, that's what it is. I guess the new season has started and the old one has ended or perhaps time has been moved backwards and forwards without meaning or consequence.

Alright, so we finished 3rd and made the semis of 3 different cups. Of course we finished a distant 3rd and didn't make the finals of any of those cups. Will the team strengthen during this "off-season"? Will Sancho arrive on a golden carpet and save us all? Will Harry Maguire every be allowed back into Greece? Let's find out.
Mathguy64
AG
Might as well start with some UCL info. The UCL draw is Oct 1. We are in pot 2. I don't know how we have enough points to get there but we are. Pot 1 is set. Bayern, Real Madrid, Liverpool, Juve, Sevilla (EL winner), Porto, Zenit St. Petersburg and PSG. Obviously it's anyone but Liverpool, so 4 big boys and 3 gifts if you get lucky. The other pots still have to be filled out and arranged as their are qualification matches going on now.

Maybe we will draw Olympiakos. That would be adventurous.
Dre_00
Mathguy64 said:

We are in pot 2. I don't know how we have enough points to get there but we are.
If there's one thing that FM has taught me (and it may just be this one thing), it's that an EL semis and finals appearance gets you more points than a CL round of 16 exit.

In the last 5 years, we've won the EL, reached the semis of the EL, reached the quarters of the CL and the round of 16 of the CL twice.

Fun fact. Our UEFA coefficient is actually better than Liverpool's as they didn't earn any points in 2016-17. Our EL semi appearance last season earned us more points than their CL round of 16 exit.
ScottishFire
AG
In again.

Let's do this!
"No one cuts me with impunity."
Mathguy64
AG
Wow. We are actually 9th overall in points.
boogieman
AG
Im in!
Can we sign somebody this transfer window?!?
bagger05
AG
New year, lads. GGMU!
Dre_00
Somewhat out of nowhere, Donny Van de Beek is being strongly linked to United. Koeman has interest in bringing him to Barca but this might be the one two week period in history where Unites might be a more attractive destination than Barca.
Dre_00
Latest is Van de Beek has told his teammates he's joining United and is going next week to finalize the deal.

File that firmly under "mindless gossip" especially with Mr. Woodward in charge of things. But he would be a good signing.
Thunder18
AG
I'd be happy signing Van de Beek...hell I'd be happy signing anyone at this point!
Mathguy64
AG
I just don't get the lack of signings. To me they really need depth more than front line upgrades. You don't need a super star. Depth is a lot easier to find and sign.

Having said that, last week there was a subtle massive signing. Bringing Henderson back from loan and signing him long term to stay at the club was a clear signal that DDG will not be here. You don't spend that much money to have two starting GKs and have one sit on the bench.
ScottishFire
AG
How long until Henderson is between the sticks and De Gea is out?
Mathguy64
AG
I would not be surprised to see Henderson win the "open competition" and start day 1. And that is a massive piece in DDG to move and he could be swapped for a super star.
ScottishFire
AG
What's is the new transfer deadline due to the late start?
Mathguy64
AG
I think it's Oct 1.
Dre_00
I was out of pocket for a lot of last week and I completely missed Henderson re-signing. I still think there are multiple scenarios where De Gea is United's #1 this season but it, at the least, tells De Gea that if you don't sort your **** out, I have a young, talented option who is ready.
Mathguy64
AG
I just can't see carrying both. De Gea will be moved.

Maybe he can be sent to Chelsea for the right player. They seem to have a penchant for overpaying for GKs.
ScottishFire
AG
He's been itching to go to Real Madrid for a while.
I could see that becoming his destination.
ja86
AG
should be interesting to watch how this new season goes....
Thunder18
AG
That's what bugs me the most about the way transfers have been handled, it seems like they spent the entire first few weeks of the window focused solely on trying to get Sancho while our competition have all been linked to or actually signing multiple quality players
Dre_00
Report is that van de Beek is a done deal with only the contract and medical to be sorted out. 45 million Euros.

https://www.telegraaf.nl/sport/937745689/donny-van-de-beek-rond-met-manchester-united
Dre_00
You could very well be right but I think there are a lot of reasons why it won't be this year. Or at the very least they'll wait a season before doing it. Who's going to pay for him in this market? Real has Courtois. I could be wrong but I don't think they're displeased with him. I don't think PSG is looking to replace Navas and they are probably focusing all of their energy on trying to lure Messi. If you sell him now, you get 50 cents on the dollar for him especially given his form.

But more importantly, I don't think United and Ole are ready to give up on him. He's 29. In theory, his prime should be ahead of him, not behind him. And given his age and all he's been in the past, it's reasonable to think this is a blip and not a permanent state of craptitude. I think they want to hedge their bets. In the short term, I think they ultimately want to see a top goalie in their starting 11. They'll give De Gea one last chance to prove it can be him. If he can't, then Henderson is there. And perhaps Henderson pushes him to excel (When was the last time De Gea had competition for his staring spot? LIndegaard? Maybe?). Long term, Henderson is almost assuredly their goalie. But I don't think that necessarily starts this season.
Mathguy64
AG
Maybe. But that's a ton of cash tied up at the GK spot. Something like half a million a week in wages. And only one plays.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Mathguy64
AG
Precisely the type to load up on. He won't beat out Bruno or Pogba in midfield but could easily be better than McTominay or Fred. It's quality depth. Now go find someone to back up Shaw at LB and a replacement or upgrade for Matic.
Dre_00
A few articles on our soon to be new signing.

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/comparing-donny-van-de-beeks-19-20-stats-to-man-utds-current-midfielders/

https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/quotes-on-manchester-united-tottenham-real-madrid-target-donny-van-de-beek/

Obviously it's not apples to apples to compare the Eriedivisie to the EPL but he should get plenty of games even with Bruno and Pogba. He's a different player than both which is a good thing. Fred is the one that likely gets pushed out by this which is probably why rumors of him leaving for Galatasaray started around the time these van de Beek rumors heated up. If you assume Matic and McTominay as the center mids whose main responsibility is to defend, that leaves Bruno, Pogba, van de Beek and Fred as your options for the two center mid positions who have some varying degree of responsibility for both defending and attacking. That doesn't leave Fred with a lot of games outside of a long term injury or a League Cup match.
AG
the kid is going to play in and start a lot of games. he may not be first choice, at least not before Pogba and Bruno, but we all say how gassed Bruno was at the end of the season. with another truncated season, depth is going to be crucial. besides that, Pogba seems to get injured often, and this will allow him to heal and not have the starting XI suffer a massive drop in talent. if anything, this kids work rate looks off the charts. i think he'll be a fan favorite real quick. Fred is fine and really came along this past season, but i dont want to be relying on him for long stretches.

now bring in Sancho and a CB and this will be a successful window. i wouldnt mind replacing some of the JAGs with some young quality depth, but i'll take a 3 player transfer window.
Dre_00
Latest rumor is Upamecano.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/08/31/upamecano-to-manchester-united-transfer-news

I think I've seen him play all of one time but people that know a lot more about soccer than I do rate him quit highly. And a $71 million release clause for a 21 year old CB is not bad at all.
AG
Would be more than ok with this. Young, great size. Looks aggressive as hell and looks to have some great control/passing/dribbling out of the back third. 83 appearances in the bundesliga over the last few seasons and champions league experience. Dont **** this up, Ed.
deadbq03
AG
Dre_00 said:

Latest rumor is Upamecano.

https://soccer.nbcsports.com/2020/08/31/upamecano-to-manchester-united-transfer-news

I think I've seen him play all of one time but people that know a lot more about soccer than I do rate him quit highly. And a $71 million release clause for a 21 year old CB is not bad at all.
Leipzig have made 2 big transfer sales since I started following them: Keita and Werner. When Keita happened, I was glad the get the money. I'm very disappointed to see Werner leave but obviously understand. I'd be sad to see Upamecano leave as well, but not as much as with Werner.

We just gave him the same kind of contract extension that Werner got last summer, which is basically designed to prevent a free transfer next year, but has a vanishing release clause to easily let the player move on next year (I.e. it'll be more expensive to buy him this summer or winter than it will be next summer).

Physically he's amazingly gifted. If you can rewatch the Leipzig - Atletico game you'll see him at his best. But I've also seen him make some boneheaded choices. But given how young he is, it's not surprising. He got better for us as the year went on. In the fall he was a bit rough trying to learn our new coach's system.

You'll need good ball-winning midfielders or straight up DMs who are comfortable dropping back to cover because he loves to dribble and bring the ball forward when presented an opportunity. And he's really good at it, and it's both awesome yet frightening to behold. Maybe y'all would reign that in more but if he has freedom, he'll do it often. I enjoy watching the way he plays.

Overall, I'll be sad to see him go, but given the contract we gave him, his skill, and our lack of stature as a club, that's basically a foregone conclusion. I'd rate this deal as a win-win for both clubs if it happens this summer... we'll get extra cash that we really need to lock up some deals in positions we actually need more (we've got good CB depth), and you'll get first dibs on a great player who'll be highly coveted next year when the clause drops.
Dre_00
Good stuff
AG

Smalling out? Upamecano in? From what I've seen of both of them this past season, I'll make that trade in a heartbeat.
Thunder18
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Smalling out? Upamecano in? From what I've seen of both of them this past season, I'll make that trade in a heartbeat.

That would be a nice piece of business
Dre_00
Van de Beek is official
agdoc2001
AG
Dre_00 said:

Van de Beek is official
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.