Manchester United 2020-21 Thread

38,348 Views | 912 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Dre_00
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What a little feed by Cavani. And AWB may be hurt. He came up holding his high groin. Either tweaked something or got hit in the twig and berries.
Thunder18
AG
We better buy a badass CDM this summer cuz Fred and McTominay are actively hurting the team
jeffk
AG
'Preciate y'all!
Furlock Bones
AG
Liverpool are going to make champions league and it will be United's fault.
Thunder18
AG
That goal was pretty amazing tbh
Mathguy64
AG
Cavani with a 40 yard chip of the Fulham keeper.
Thunder18
AG
Glad he's staying another year. What an audacious goal
Mathguy64
AG
So frustrating. We have 18 million chances to score and can't. Of course they get one.
Thunder18
AG
AWB has the worst positional awareness
Dre_00
If you're a Twitter person, I suggest Carl Anka as a follow for United coverage. Not the first time AWB has been caught pinching in for no discernible reason.

Furlock Bones
AG
Oh I like this guy already.

gougler08
Furlock Bones
AG
I have never been an AWB fan. He's the equivalent of the high school super athlete that dominates on his athleticism. Then, he moves up to college and eventually plays guys that have similar athleticism but far more technical skill.
Dre_00
I like him. He has a role to play. An important one. We probably overpaid for him but he's young and English so that comes with the territory.

But we definitely need at least another option there. He's great defensively (or can be) but likely never going to be good going forward. And sometimes you need a right back who can offer more going forward. The problem for him is if he starts making defensive mistakes like that, he has nothing else to fall back on.
Furlock Bones
AG
Liverpool are getting into champions league and it's United's fault for playing like muppets to end the season.

Makes me sick.
Dre_00
Mathguy64
AG
Interesting question. Win EL and you are in pot 1 for CL. But that will include Atletico and possibly Lille. Pot 2 would have RM, Barca, likely Chelsea/Liverpool and PSG. This may be a weird year where it's better to be in pot 2
Dre_00
I mean...I think you have to root for winning a trophy regardless of what pot that gets you.
Furlock Bones
AG
Man United should not be a club that worries about what pot they are in for CL. We should be the club others worry about.
Furlock Bones
AG
So I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer. The season was better than we have had in awhile though we really need to win Europa even if that is not a trophy that truly matters to the club.

Right now based on the last 2 months of EPL. I'd say our odds of winning EPL next year actually went down. I would handicap it like this.

Man Dhabi favorites
Chelski close second
Liversuck 3rd favorites based on season ending form. But they need to keep some players and get Van Dyke back.

United.
Dre_00
Man City will undoubtedly be strong again. They aren't losing anyone of consequence and if they sign Kane, you might as well just go ahead and give them the trophy again. They are quickly becoming what United was back in the 90s and 00s.

Chelsea got a huge boost switching managers. They still have some roster issues though. I'm not sold they can mount a title challenge without an actual striker.

Liverpool and Man United are both in the same boat, IMO. They both have some requirements that need to be addressed in the transfer market. Getting Van Dijk would be a boost but wouldn't solve the fundamental problem of a squad lacking depth. And there are questions about Mane and Salah even staying with the club. United absolutely need at least 3 quality additions. They've got to get an elite center/holding mid so we can get rid of McFred once and for all. If they don't address that, then they won't be legitimate challengers...even if they sign Kane.
Dre_00
So today is the day. I'm not overly optimistic about the final given form and the fact Maguire likely won't play. We'll likely concede a number of chances some of which will turn into goals. I don't think we win this unless we score 3+...which is possible given our talent up front but also a lot to ask for in a final.
Dre_00
No Fred in the starting lineup. Ole goes uber offensive and pairs Pogba with McTominay. He's in full "Eff it" mode and determined to have a 10 goal game.
Mathguy64
AG
Lots of speculation that the non starter between DDG and Henderson would be leaving. I really thought that would be DeGea.
Mathguy64
AG
Also interesting in that we have been playing out of the back a lot. And that's not exactly a DDG strength.
Mathguy64
AG
Typical. They sit in a low block which is our kryptonite and we give up a goal on a free kick.
Thunder18
Dre_00
WE ARE SO BAD AT DEFENDING SET PIECES
Thunder18
AG
We set the line stupidly high and let them run onto the ball at full speed
Dre_00
Villarreal are literally playing a 6-2-2 when we have the ball in their half. They just clog the middle and bait us to go wide to AWB which is of no danger to them. It's simple **** and we act like they've revolutionized the game.

No confidence in an improved performance let alone a win.
Mathguy64
AG
A 34 year old striker that nobody wanted is our best goal scorer. That's pretty telling.
Dre_00
If we were going to score, it was always going to be a little ugly. And that was a little ugly.

Cavani has been fantastic even before the goal. His tracking back and defending has been better than most of our mids and defenders.
Mathguy64
AG
This second half has been better. But it's still too many AWB crosses.
planoaggie123
AG
i realize we may not have the greatest bench to go to for what we need but shocked no subs at all so far...
planoaggie123
AG
....and its Fred....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.