Manchester United 2018-19 Thread

77,114 Views | 1304 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by planoaggie123
ryan_m
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I personally am a huge fan of Leonardo Jardim. Acomplishing what he did at Monaco was tremendous, and he happens to be out of work at the moment
Aston94
AG
Looks like Ole will be caretaker manager until summer.

planoaggie123
AG
Just came here to post about this. Saw Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is being inquired for the interim role. That seems like a decent little upheaval for an interim role considering he has been with Molde. To take this I would assume he feels he would have a good shot at a long term stint or he is ready to move along anyways and this will be a nice little transition to a larger club.

I am too "new" of a fan to remember him as a player but I have seen many highlights and he is one of many players that make me wish I had been able to follow Manu in the late 90s....
Dre_00
Seems like more of a nostalgic hire that puts a smile on fans' faces rather than a strategic hire. He could come in and do just as well/poorly as Mourinho and the fans would still love him and not care.

And I'm OK with that to be honest. I've already come to terms with not finishing in the top 4 so if we finish 6th while playing some semblance of attacking, attractive football while I sing "Who put the ball in the German's net?" every game till the end of the season, I'm happy.
ryan_m
Perhaps the attitude the players need at the moment?
Aston94
AG
First, I am shocked there wasn't a caretaker manager in place before they let Mourinho go (assuming there was not one in place). This had to be in the works for at least a few weeks, so plenty of time to vet someone and to get an understanding in place.

I think the move for Ole is a good one, even if he is just the caretaker, assuming that he wants to coach at a high level again. He is lost over at Molde, this puts his resume out for all to see. Have success with United and he can claim another EPL or Big Euro job easy this summer, or maybe have a dream run at United and get the permanent position.

Ole is a competent manager that will be a "player's manager" and will have the support of the supporters. If he has player and fan support then it should work out well for a half season.
planoaggie123
AG
Thanks for the clip, Ryan. Good to hear such a novel concept and someone with an attacking mindset.

Dre - I think you are 100% right. This move is as close to a no-lose situation for Manu. I honestly think as long as he ensure he has the right # of players on the field with the talent on the squad, he likely wont drop them further than 6 spot. On the flip side, maybe he does a great job and he gets considered as a full time. Outside of the question mark of Zidane (how would he do creating a squad from scratch?) i am not 100% sure i am overly excited about any other projects so why not try a somewhat proven Manu "legend"
ja86
AG
wow, didn't think they had the balls to let him go before December.

Now we get to see how much has been manager and how much has been unproductive players. Though, I think the big problem has been the laissez faire attitude that has engulfed the entire organization for the past several years. A general house cleaning may be in order.
planoaggie123
AG
The rumors now linking him to Real seem laughable....surely not....
Aston94
AG
Ole is official.

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/Ole-Gunnar-Solskjaer-appointed-caretaker-manager?utm_content=5bbce36634d845f7bc921472be8e8936-7724542745&utm_campaign=manutd&utm_medium=post&utm_source=facebook
Skitch05
AG
Mike Phelan back to help Solksjaer out as well. Maybe we will at least see some more entertaining play the rest of the season.

Best Reddit quote: "Even as a manager Solksjaer comes in as a replacement."
ScottishFire
AG
At least our attacking DNA will be back.
Dre_00
A really great article that breaks down Ole's tactics at Molde and how it might fit at United with the players they have.

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/head-coach-analysis/ole-gunnar-solskjaer-manchester-united-tactical-analysis

Long story short, Molde has overachieved in Norway under Ole even if he did struggle with Cardiff. He likes to play like Pep and Pogba should flourish under him if he uses similar tactics at United.
Skitch05
AG
What hypothetical results would Ole need to achieve to be considered for the full time manager? I know he is under contract with Molde for a few more years and he is a caretaker, but it's fun to think about such a beloved former player coming back and becoming full time manager.

If he happens to beat Bayern in the CL final this year, is that enough?
Mathguy64
AG
If you want to think about a former player coming back you have to look at Giggs. I wonder though if you can pry him from Wales.
Skitch05
AG
Well... Maybe in the future. I was more trying to put a positive spin on the rest of this season. I'm not entirely sure how I would feel about Giggs as a manager after his.....off the field issues.

Looking forward to the Dec 26th game at Old Trafford for sure. Ole was one of my favorite players back in the day.
Dre_00
I know he's only the interim manager but surely Molde will be replacing him, right? They can't go on without a manager for the next 5 months even if their season doesn't start till late March.

But if Ole comes in and place attractive, attacking football, gains the trust of the players (all or most of them), takes United to the top 4 and makes a deep run in the CL (say to the semis)....I think he would have a strong case for being named the permanent manager.

I don't think either of those last two happen.
Dre_00
Welp, nevermind. It seems Molde feel as though they are "lending" Ole to Untied and they have appointed their own interim manager until he gets back. We'll see if that happens. Even if United don't offer him the permanent job, another club in England could based solely on his style of play and tactics at United.
Dre_00
What has Giggs done to make the case for being named United manager? He wasn't great in an albeit limited stint several years back. He just took the Wales job and other than that, he hasn't managed anywhere. Hard pass. If you're looking at former United players the only one that comes closest to being a decent candidate is Larurent Blanc.

Personally, I'd get a damn good director of football in place and then take a good look at Eddie Howe (because Pochettino is likely going to require stupid money).
Griffle
More reports of Pogba acting like a child. First you had the smirking Instagram post, now reports that he was yelling "you ****ed with the wrong footballer" in practice leading to Carrick giving him a good talking to.

I've really grown tired of his act. Love the player, but the off-the-field stuff is tiring.
Dre_00
He's no angel. The whole reason why he left United as a youngster to begin with was because he thought he should be getting more playing time and SAF thought otherwise. Of course he ended up becoming one of the best central midfielders in Serie A if not the world at Juventus and United had to convince a 40 year old Paul Scholes to come out of retirement to help their central midfield so maybe he was right...but I digress.
Griffle
It will be interesting to see how he performs under OGS. I think Jalen Ramsey with the Jaguars is a good example of how all is forgotten when things go well and is intensified when they don't. He's got the rest of this year to show some growth before I'd be ready to move on.
boogieman
AG
Well, it may just be Cardiff, but the futbol is better today.
3-1 forty minutes in.
Griffle
To some degree, but they are playing nice one and two touch ball as opposed to possession via the pass back. I'd say it's some of both.
Skitch05
AG
First two goals were a bit lucky, but the third one was pure class. Something still seems a bit off, but this is more entertaining to watch by miles than the rest of this season has been.
Skitch05
AG
Nevermind, this half has been phenomenal.
ryan_m
YOU ARE MY SOLSKJAER
ja86
Skitch05
AG
My Ole Solskjaer!
Thunder18
AG
Welcome back Ole!
Dre_00
5 goals for the first time since SAF. That's unbelievable. Not every game will go this well and many will go poorly but it's so nice to actually have hope at being entertained and happy watching United.
planoaggie123
AG
Positive game obviously but we have seen flashes from this team before when they seemed to be on the ropes or trying to prove something...sustaining this style and effort for weeks on end has been the problem. Let's see if his looser managerial style will propel them to 4/5 on the table or will they fall back to old habits and bad discipline and just tread water?
OregonAggie
AG
Dre_00 said:

5 goals for the first time since SAF. That's unbelievable. Not every game will go this well and many will go poorly but it's so nice to actually have hope at being entertained and happy watching United.

Someone just needed to unleash the talent at Man U and Jose wasn't the guy. Not saying Ole is but he's clearly going to want these guys to attack. Man U is going to be a tough team to play the rest of the year for sure.
Aggie_3
OregonAggie said:

Dre_00 said:

Someone just needed to unleash the talent at Man U and Jose wasn't the guy. Not saying Ole is but he's clearly going to want these guys to attack. Man U is going to be a tough team to play the rest of the year for sure.

From 2005 on I didn't miss a single televised game under Sir Alex but once he retired the 3 managers since have tried playing such ugly unwatchable football that I've missed more games than I can remember. Yesterday was the most attractive attacking football since Sir Alex was manager
Aston94
AG
Great start for Ole!

I will withhold any and all analysis on Ole and his likelihood for success until we get through the Christmas season. After the FA Cup game on January 5 you should have a pretty good idea of how the team has responded to him and his tactics.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.