Manchester United 2018-19 Thread

75,639 Views | 1304 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by planoaggie123
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So question for everyone...

Ole's on a 3 year contract. What % chance does he have to make it through the entire contract?
Mathguy64
AG
Dre_00 said:

So question for everyone...

Ole's on a 3 year contract. What % chance does he have to make it through the entire contract?

If you are asking that question then you might as well ask why Ole got the job in the first place.

I don't think Woodward and the Board brought Ole in expecting him to turn out to be a viable candidate much less have the team do this remarkable and immediate turn around. No one did. I think part of what happened was a very natural "thank you baby Jesus it's not Mou" reaction in the locker room. Any one was going to get that bump. But this seems to be more. The players genuinely want to play for him.

I do wonder about his tactical acumen. That's why it's so important that Phelan stayed.

I also think they are rolling the dice a bit. Get blitzed by Barca and get knocked back and finish 6th and everyone in the world will ask why he got the job in the first place. But waiting also has downsides. The summer transfer window has already started in the sense that teams are talking and planning now for their moves. If you wait to sign him, you are waiting to decide who he (or any new manager) wants and that means basically losing the window.

To me, the downside of waiting is way worse than rolling the dice now. The team played so well (the have the most points of anyone since he took over) and the PSG win made not hiring Ole impossible. So given that do it now.
jeffk
AG
I give him 60% odds he lasts all three years.
ScottishFire
AG
At this point, Ole's really had one bad match: FA Cup vs Wolves (PSG being a close second)

I'm interested to see how he and the team respond this week after the Arsenal loss and the international break.

Edit: thanks for the heads up, Thunder
"No one cuts me with impunity."
Thunder18
AG
Wolves not Watford, we play Watford tomorrow
Dre_00
Caught about 60 minutes of the game in total (last 30 minutes of each half). It's got to be better if Ole wants to see out his contract (for the record, I give him a 30% chance of seeing it out and I say that as someone who thinks he should have been offered the full time job). Allowing 20 shots to Watford is outrageous even if not many were on target let along threatening De Gea. I also think that United didn't play as badly as the stats suggest. There were at least 3-4 occasions in the first half where a United player had a clear shot on goal inside the box and instead chose a pass which came to nothing.

Still, Watford will feel they at least deserved a draw out of that. It's gotta be better if United want to finish top 4.
ryan_m
I agree that stats were bad, but an ugly win is still a win. The "honeymoon" period is over, and it's all about picking up the dirty points to finish top 4.

Also, giving him a percentage of getting sacked is premature. Give the man a transfer window to build his team, then let's evaluate the situation. He's got the personality, the tactical acumen, and the coaching staff to be successful.

A lot of people don't know that Sir Alex had several bad years to start his United career, and look what happened. If Ole is the man that players and coaches say he is, he could have a very long career at United
Dre_00
I hope he does. My guess is more a statement of how far the team has to go to meet expectations and a statement on the modern game. To your point, if SAF was hired in 2019, he never would have had been given 3 years to turn the club around.
Mathguy64
AG
A personality fit is a big deal today. I don't think anyone would say Ole is a better coach than LVG or Mou from a tactical standpoint. But it seems clear he's a better fit with the players and the brand.
Dre_00
Thought this was a good article about United's midfield struggles. I'm usually a big Pogba defender but he was pretty atrocious against Watford. With Zidane at RM and all the talk around Pogba moving there, I wouldn't be surprised to see him move there in the summer time for a bid of 100+ million.

https://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-solskjaer-shown-where-man-utds-transfer-priority-lies
ScottishFire
AG
Cardiff was absolutely robbed today, and Chelsea stole a point off a blatantly offsides header
Mathguy64
AG
Don't kid yourself. They stole 3 points. Two yards offside to score the tying goal and the blatant DOGSO on Rudiger that Pawson clearly asked for help on and he went yellow instead of red. Chelsea should have been losing 0-1 and down to 10 players. Instead they win 2-1. That's huge in both ends of the table.
ScottishFire
AG
And they stole 2 pts from us, when the 4th official announced 6 ridiculous minutes of stoppage time
Dre_00
After Lloris decided to give Liverpool 2 points, we're now level on points for 3rd...but only 1 point ahead of 6th. Hold on to your butts boys, it's going to be a crazy run in.
Dre_00
Big game tonight. Let's hope for a much better performance than last time at Wolves.
ja86
AG
hopefully the mid-field decides to start playing again. Its been **** that past few games...
Mathguy64
AG
Its a simple recipe from here out. Win every match against lower table teams. So far Ole has done that. Then you have Chelsea and City. I think it takes beating Chelsea and drawing City.

Mou left no margin for error. *******.
Dre_00

That's a lot of changes and a pretty 2nd string lineup considering the importance of the game and we don't have another game for 8 days. No Herrera or Rashford even on the bench.
Mathguy64
AG
Rashford is reportedly ill. I don't get Herrera. If he's fit he has to be there.

You watch. That lineup will score 4 and we will all be shaking our heads.
ryan_m
I wonder if Herrera is missing because of his rumoured link to PSG?
ryan_m
What a strike McTomminay! Get in lad!
planoaggie123
AG
Great shot.

I cannot believe that is his first goal....
Dre_00
mathguy86 said:

Rashford is reportedly ill. I don't get Herrera. If he's fit he has to be there.

You watch. That lineup will score 4 and we will all be shaking our heads.
They should have at least 2 already. No idea how Rui Patricio kept that Lingard header out.
Dre_00
ryan_m said:

That's the theory anyway though Ole officially said that he isn't fit.
ja86
AG
ryan_m said:

read on one of the message boards that he was injured but haven't seen anything anywhere else that would confirm that.
ja86
AG
Fred doing some work...
Dre_00
That was embarrassing from De Gea, Fred, and Young. Probably a couple others I didn't notice.
planoaggie123
AG
Terrible....deserve the goal against them for that run of play....
ryan_m
It's not like we haven't had chances. We could honestly be up 3-1 right now. Just settle in and continue to throw men in the box
planoaggie123
AG
De Gea does not make distributing out from the back ever look easy...ugh.
Dre_00
Young saved his ass on a second horrible pass from him. Completely different team last 15 minutes. We can't find the ball and we're defending like my club team in kindergarten.
Dre_00
My summary:

United were dominant then gave up a stupid goal and completely forgot how to soccer.
planoaggie123
AG
Some tweaks need to be made at half....
ryan_m
This keeper is Jesus Christ reincarnated
planoaggie123
AG
Wow...young....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.