Manchester United 2018-19 Thread

76,888 Views | 1304 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by planoaggie123
Griffle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Didn't get to watch the game, sounds like it was fantastic. I let out a little under-my-breath whoop when I saw the score. Amazing!

Confirmed last night that I'm taking my 12 year old son to see his first game in April. United v Chelsea. That place is going to be rocking!
Mathguy64
AG
This is amazing.

OregonAggie
AG
I really like that kid.

I found myself rooting for y'all yesterday due to my disdain for anything french, which damn well includes PSG. It's been a rough go for y'all for awhile and it looks like Ole has turned this thing around.

Helluva win boys!
Thunder18
AG
Apparently the complaints from Tuchel and PSG's chairman are that it shouldn't have been a penalty because the shot wasn't on target...I wasn't aware that in order for a penalty to be called for a handball in the box that it had to be during a shot attempt
Dre_00
Absolutely adored this from Daniel Storey on football365 in their Winners/Losers piece - CL edition

Quote:

Marcus Rashford
The absolute bottle of the kid. Prior to Wednesday, Rashford had not taken a single penalty in his senior career. The sum total of his competitive experience was two penalties during Manchester United's UEFA Youth League campaign in 2015/16 and for England Under-21s against Norway in September 2016. But when United were awarded a (ridiculous) spot kick in the dying embers of a pulsating game, it was Rashford who stepped up.

Just take a few moments and imagine how nervous you would feel. I'm writing this on the way to interviewing Tim Flowers and I'm incredibly anxious about getting that right. I'm 13 years older than Rashford and I'm not in a one-on-one situation against the greatest goalkeeper of the last decade (sorry, Tim). I'm also not being jeered by 60,000 people and watched by millions around the world. However good this interview is, I cannot claim to have the weight of a global fanbase on my shoulders. I think I'd probably cry or wet myself.

Not Rashford, a young man who has taken peak and trough in his majestic stride with the maturity of a veteran. Not Rashford, who sometimes seems immune to nerves and pressure. Not Rashford, who thrashed the ball high into the net and left the sprawling Gianluigi Buffon without hope. Not Rashford, who leads this team as a proud academy graduate and a proud Mancunian.
jeffk
AG
I know it's verboten for me, but I really like watching Rashford play. Happy to see him sink that PK.
TheMasterplan
Mason Greenwood is 17 years old and made his debut against PSG.

Crazy.

So awesome seeing all the old man utd fans and injured players cheering everybody on. It's like the boys are back. Man Utd have to win something this year!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Not a Man U supporter by any stretch. That said, when does Solskjaer stop being the caretaker and just get the damn job? He's got your team playing their best/best looking ball since Ferguson.
planoaggie123
AG
Nice to see the positive comments from Mourhino today on the ESPN article.

Maybe a mild jab saying it (Manu victory) was more about self-belief while Ajax victory was about tactics but I like that he is speaking positively about the club. I originally wanted Mourhino to succeed at Manu but it was/is clear that he will never be a long-term manager for any top club and that is disappointing. Will be interesting to see where he lands...
Dre_00
blindey said:

Not a Man U supporter by any stretch. That said, when does Solskjaer stop being the caretaker and just get the damn job? He's got your team playing their best/best looking ball since Ferguson.

What's the upside to announcing him now as the permanent manager? There's only three reasons I can come up with:

1) Ease the stress of fans and players who worry that it won't happen even though they really want it to happen

2) Not having a permanent manager is impeding results on the field

3) Not having a permanent manager is disrupting off field activities (transfers and the transfer season planning)

I think we can safely say that 2 isn't happening. As for 1, the stress of the fans has no tangible effect on the performance of the team. The players do but I doubt any of them are going to start performing worse just because he hasn't been announced as the permanent manager. 3 is the only reason why you'd announce a permanent manager. And while I think there will be a time in April/May when transfer season planning will probably pick up a notch, I don't think it's happening now. And besides, Ole has said he's talked with the club at a high level about who sees moving on in the summer and what type of players he thinks the club needs...which makes sense because you'd want to know that in any interview of a manager for a permanent position.

In short, I 100% think Ole should be given the job based on what he's done but I don't see any upside to doing it now. And by waiting another few weeks or month, you give yourself wiggle room in case it all goes wrong and United lose the rest of their games.
Furlock Bones
AG
Well tomorrow's game is even bigger now that Tottenham fumbled it at Southampton. Have a chance to go level on points with them. But even a draw is a great result.
Mathguy64
AG
This team was in 8th at one point with Mou. 8th.

When he got sacked they were in 6th, one point in front of Wolves, 8 back of Arsenal, 11 back of Chelsea and 13 back of Spurs.

That boys and girls, is hell of a turn around.
Dre_00
It's absolutely mind boggling and the fact that as successful as Ole has been, it's still going to be an uphill battle to finish 4th. We don't have to win out but we need to come pretty close.
Dre_00
Martial and Matic are fit for Arsenal.
Mathguy64
AG
Lineup is in. DDG; Young, Lindelof, Smalling, Shaw; Matic, Fred, Pogba; Dalot, Lukaku, Rashford.

Martial is available on the bench.
Dre_00
Fred instead of McTominay. He started out of necessity against PSG and to be fair had a really good game but a little surprised to see him start such a big game. Hope he puts in another good performance.
Mathguy64
AG
Chelsea gets a late equalizer against wolves but it still amounts to dropped points. A win today would put some measure of distance back to 5th and 6th.
Thunder18
AG
Dalot getting a start after a couple of really good substitute appearances the last week
Mathguy64
AG
Jon Moss with the whistle. Everyone hold on to your butts.
Mathguy64
AG
How did Lukaku miss that???
gougler08
AG
How did De Gea miss that?
Thunder18
AG
What a knuckler
boogieman
AG
gougler08 said:

How did De Gea miss that?
I was thinking the same thing.

Then the replay showed that ball just take a freakin left turn.
Thunder18
AG
Well we've hit 2 posts already...Lukaku's miss was really rough
Mathguy64
AG
The Fred and Matic show in the middle isn't working at all.

Edit: to be fair, Fred is a hot mess right now. He can't control a ball or make a pass to save his life.
ScottishFire
AG
There's a second corner the ref has missed. Fred's shot was deflected by GK and that cross to Rashford was deflected by Rahsfod's mark. Crap refereeing
ScottishFire
AG
...and a third corner.
Mathguy64
AG
Lindelof has had a rough half.
Mathguy64
AG
Snake bit. Lukaku had an open net and rushed it.
Mathguy64
AG
Jon Moss is lost. He's missing fouls everywhere.
gougler08
AG
Assistants aren't any better, it's just poor for both sides
Mathguy64
AG
Lukaku missed again. Grrrr
gougler08
AG
Not sure how he hasn't scored yet
Skitch05
AG
Geez Lukaku....
ryan_m
Big Rom should have 3 right now

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.