Chelsea 2013/14 Season Thread - Part Two

72,624 Views | 2458 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Kampfers
Gigem Trevas
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Crazy ass lineup just posted by The Chelsea FC twitter. I have no idea what formation The Chelsea will be running.
The Chelsea team to face Atletico: Schwarzer, Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Cole, Ramires, David Luiz, Azpilicueta, Hazard, Willian, £50M.
Subs: Hilario, Kalas, Van Ginkel, Oscar, Schurrle, Ba, Eto'o.
byfLuger41
AG
Holy moly. Take about a head scratcher
Gigem Trevas
Supposed to line up as so.
Scwarzer
Ivanovic-Cahill-Terry-Cole
Ramires-Luiz
Willian-Hazard-Azpilicueta
£50M
I think Jose is playing it as so is if Terry needs to come of the defensive line just swap positions. Ivan to CB, Azpili to RB, and bring on the fresh player. Also, Hazard playing in the no. 10 role tonight.
Joe Cole
Leave it to TSO for a wrinkle in a big game

I fear we go up 1-0 and at 65-70min Jose goes ultra def, but this time it bites him and AM levels late.

have to watch game later. out

COME ON CHELSEA!

byfLuger41
AG
£50!!!
Scriffer
Scriffer
byfLuger41
AG
Crap.
Gigem Trevas
What a let off. Going into the half with a lead would have been huge.
byfLuger41
AG
Cole not marking his man.
byfLuger41
AG
Gotta get a goal soon!
byfLuger41
Scriffer
Gigem Trevas
Hit the bar and then shortly thereafter Atletico score off a rebound off the post. Just wasn't their night tonight I guess.
byfLuger41
AG
It was a good run, just wish we had a ST worth a crap.
Gigem Trevas
I don't think it was the strikers today Smith. The defending did The Chelsea in on all 3 goals. If Courtois is not starting next year for The Chelsea I will be surprised. He was a monster in goal for Atletico today.
Alan Johnson
AG
Good run.. Glad yall won't be taking away the 4th place trophy from arsenal though.
Serotonin
AG
I think it's safe to say that Athletico is the better team this year and one or two strikers are definitely needed for next season.

Also, I love Cech but it is time to sell him for some $$ since he's only 31 and still has value, and bring in Courtois. He is going to be a monster in goal for Chelsea for the next decade.
Alan Johnson
AG
Serotonin
AG
That's pretty funny.
tremble
AG
Marca referring to Mou as "The Semifinal One"
Dre_00
"Chelsea aren't set up to play football. Chelsea are set up to counter-attack."

3 guesses as to who said that.

Brendan Rodgers last week? Nope.
Bayern Munich after the 2012 CL Final? Wrong again.
Bitter TexAgs posters? Probably in a slightly different tone but no.

That sentence was uttered by no one other than Eden Hazard after yesterday's game...arguably Chelsea's most important and talented player. Yikes. Perhaps taken out of context but that sure does sound like a criticism to me.

[This message has been edited by Dre_00 (edited 5/1/2014 9:45a).]
Alan Johnson
AG
Its true though.. look what happened yesterday when they were forced to score. They conceded 2 more goals and were owned by atletico.
Gigem Trevas
I thought everyone realized this by now. Look at their record in the league against the top teams and then the bottom teams.
Dre_00
Technically, when they were forced to score, they didn't concede any goals and actually achieved their goal. It was only after scoring, when they were no longer forced to score, that Athletico scored.

My issue with the statement is that somehow counter attacking isn't football. It's all football. The holier than thou attitude from the "we play football correctly" camp is nauseating. Nothing wrong with having a preference as to what you want your football to be but people need to get off their high horse. Real Madrid had 36% possession against Bayern, scored on 3 set pieces and a counter attack, and it was beautiful to watch.
Dre_00
And the reason why I posted the quote was more a function of who said it, not of what was said.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
My issue with the statement is that somehow counter attacking isn't football. It's all football. The holier than thou attitude from the "we play football correctly" camp is nauseating. Nothing wrong with having a preference as to what you want your football to be but people need to get off their high horse. Real Madrid had 36% possession against Bayern, scored on 3 set pieces and a counter attack, and it was beautiful to watch.

this. Although it probably has more merit coming from someone who isn't a Chelsea/USMNT supporter.
jeffk
AG
quote:
The holier than thou attitude from the "we play football correctly" camp is nauseating. Nothing wrong with having a preference as to what you want your football to be but people need to get off their high horse. Real Madrid had 36% possession against Bayern, scored on 3 set pieces and a counter attack, and it was beautiful to watch.

I agree to a certain extent, but my main complaint is that defense-first, counter-attacking play is generally not very exciting to watch. (From a strictly entertainment standpoint.) There can be exceptions to that like the game Tuesday, but that's the exception, not the rule. Plus, if your rooting interest is in the team facing up against an opponent utilizing that type of strategy (as I was Sunday), it can be one of the most frustrating things to witness in all of sport - major possession, tons of contested looks at goal, no way in and then a quickly conceded goal on a counter seals the loss.

You are right, both styles of play are football, but one can be highly un-watchable sometimes. I've utilized both styles and will continue to do so, but from an entertainment standpoint, there is a potential difference there.
Dre_00
To that extent, I'd argue that there's a distinct difference between counter attacking football and defensive football. You need to defend properly to counter attack effectively and often...but just because you defend doesn't mean you are really playing counter attacking football.

United often employed counter attacking football when playing against Arsenal away during the Ronaldo era and it was deadly and glorious.

During the Moyes era, they often controlled possession and camped out in the opponent's half but it was the most boring, ineffective style of football imaginable because they were crap inside the 18 and never created chances.

[This message has been edited by Dre_00 (edited 5/1/2014 11:00a).]
jeffk
AG
I agree with that.
gig them
AG
That bus photo was legit

Serious question to the supporters - assuming Chelsea don't win the EPL, is this a successful season? Intrigued to hear it's silverware or nothing, or if the extended run in the CL helps
Gigem Trevas
I would say yes. If you told me The Chelsea would be within touching distance of the PL and a game away from the CL Final at the start of the year I would be happy. The only thing that is disappointing is how close it was and that both slipped away.
chunt75
I think it speaks volumes to Mourinho's ability as a manager that we're even in a position to be disappointed at the beginning of what was rightfully a transition season. Despite the Europa League, the team was in shambles following the Fat Spanish Waiter debacle, and rebuilding the confidence and belief to see out matches even without a striker, as well as to get this far doing so, is heartening.
Old School Rucking
AG
Everyone and especially Jose Mourinho knows that RA wants/demands not only winning football, but exciting, stylish football (just ask RDM). This year was about taking stock of the team and deciding who's back next season. I'm expecting a very active summer as Jose builds his team. Chelsea is going to be very, very good next season.
chunt75
News today that the deal is pretty much done for Costa

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.