Outdoors
Sponsored by

My Son's First Dog

1,197 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by aggiesundevil4
TommyGun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My oldest son, Reid, took ownership of his first dog earlier this week. Jackson came to us from Southeastern Guide Dogs out of Palmetto, FL. He is a 1.5 year old Goldador (Golden Retriever / Lab) and was bred and trained out of their school. Jackson is not quite a full-fledged guide dog as they pulled him a little early from training after some minor indications of elbow dysplasia showed up on his medical report. However, the school uses dogs who don't finish the program to still be placed in homes with young visually impaired children as young as 5. They do this to help young kids get used to owning and caring for a dog and to get them ready for a guide dog once they're teenagers. These dogs also offer companionship as a lot of kids with severe impairment can live life feeling isolated and sometimes struggle to develop close friends.

I think I've made a few comments before here about my son, but he was born legally blind with a condition called Leber's Congenital Amaurosis (LCA) and has always had limited central vision and some issues with peripheral. He found out about this program through Southeastern himself while listening to a podcast and immediately wanted to apply. If you flashback two years ago, he was deathly afraid of dogs and wanted no part of them since he struggled to track them while they played around. However, after he got his white cane and started learning about guide dogs for mobility, he set his mind to overcome his fears and on his own forced himself to start warming up to dogs. He knew one day he would want a guide dog and it's been an amazing turnaround to see him make a determined effort to become more comfortable around dogs and animals in general.

Jackson is the most well-mannered dog I have ever been around. Just incredible around the house and a gentle calmness around all three of my kids. They told us he would likely make a quick connection with Reid and that has been the case. On the leash or off he is patient, calm and reassuring to Reid. It has been very special to watch for my wife and me. Reid will likely deal with full vision loss at some point in his life and with the aggressive form of his condition that could come much sooner than later, however, he bears the burden so well and displays a full confidence to us and to those around him. He's had to handle a lot of stress in his short 5.5 years on Earth, but God has been faithful and kind to our family and He's led us through some rough points and helped us to manage the day to day struggles much better. We're excited to see how a little part of God's creation, like a dog, can be used to bring comfort and confidence to Reid.

Southeastern has some really cool programs if any of you guys are interested in reading about them. https://dogsinc.org/

cahoots
Not enough blue stars to go around for your son and his dog. All the best as they learn from one another every day!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
This is great! I'm sure this has all been tough to manage as a dad, but you're doing an incredible a job based on this post alone! I'm sure that would only be confirmed the more we knew about you.

God bless you guys!
Discovery77
AG
all the blue stars!
TX AG 88
OilManAg91
AG
Best post of the year! Thanks for sharing, and continued blessings for Reid, Jackson and your family.
water turkey
That is awesome! Congrats to Reid.
PacoPicoPiedra
AG
Love this for Reid and truly wish for him all the best life has to offer. Great looking dog, lucky boy, and great dad, keep up the amazing work. Prayers and blessings to you and your family.
Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Welp, I wasn't planning on cutting onions today but here we are..
Good for your boy tackling his fear head on. Shows a lot of character and foresight. Looks like he got a great pup.
Thanks & Gig 'Em
StinkyPinky
AG
What a beautiful picture and what a wonderful relationship being formed. This very much moved me. Helps keep our own lives' little annoyances in perspective. Well done dad.
88planoAg
AG
Goodness, so at 3 years old he set about conquering his fear, and at 5 took the initiative after listening to a podcast? That is quite some boy ya got there, dad. Wow.
mode67ag
AG
Gig 'em, Reid!
TH36
Well damn, the obligatory I'm not crying….you're crying.

What an amazing little man you've got there! He looks and sounds like he'll do fine in life and handle anything it will throw at him. I hope him and Jackson get a lot of quality time together and help each other along the way.
Hobbes01
CactusThomas
AG
Very cool. He will be a great dog.

We were able to adopt a 3-year-old black lab from the Seeing Eye in New Jersey after being on a wait list for several years. He had completed training and went to work but was sent back to the Seeing Eye after one or more road crossing incidents (allegedly crossed an intersection diagonally). During re-training they decided he would be better off as a pet so we got him.

We don't have any visual impairments in our family, but my wife is a certified O&M instructor and worked as such for several years. Thats how she knew to get on the wait list.

Our lab is so calm and well behaved. He was trained to sit at the feet of his owner for a full work shift every day. He still prefers to sit at our feet when one of us is on the couch. He is the only lab I've ever seen that won't go swimming.
DoitBest
aggiesundevil4
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.