Chelsea 2013/14 Season Thread - Part Two

68,356 Views | 2458 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by Kampfers
byfLuger41
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FYI:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2601145/Thibaut-Courtois-not-play-against-Chelsea-Atletico-Madrid.html
byfLuger41
AG
Atletico it is!
byfLuger41
AG
Told ya Kampa Troopa!
Gigem Trevas
Gigem Trevas
Looks like The Chelsea has the return leg as well.
byfLuger41
AG
Yep, I'd rather play the other teams once anyways.

I'm sure everyone and their mom will be wanting an all La Flop final.
gougler08
AG
I feel like every time UEFA has a draw, amazingly enough, the biggest possible story line plays out. What a mess of an organization

Congrats on the draw though, best you could hope for
Scriffer
AG
I'll take it
Gigem Trevas
Yeah they will. Even though when they played this year Real Madrid went 2-1-1 against them.
Mike Elko
AG
Atleti is going to embarrass Chelsea... Sorry to burst your bubble.

All Madrid final.
Gigem Trevas
Really? I think it will be an extremely close tie and have no idea who will come away with the win.
byfLuger41
AG
quote:
Atleti is going to embarrass Chelsea... Sorry to burst your bubble.

All Madrid final

I don't think so Tim!

This time RDM isn't involved, but TSO is! Huge grudge/redemption match from 31 AUG 2012.

Send ya postcard from the final...
byfLuger41
AG
I wonder if they're really not going to start Thibaut.

If not, they got this guy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Aranzubia

He's listed at 6ft and has one appearance, ever!

[This message has been edited by Smith&Co1970 (edited 4/11/2014 8:59a).]
gambochaman
AG
UEFA has nullified the clause preventing courtois from playing
byfLuger41
AG
http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1781710/uefa-says-clause-barring-thibaut-courtois-playing-atletico-madrid-vs-chelsea-unenforceable?cc=5901

Well that's gay as AIDS. Why even have a loan agreement in the first place?
Kampfers
AG
Funny how when Celtic had a similar situation a while back with IF Elfsborg, this was what UEFA had to say: "Any agreement between the two clubs that this player wouldn’t play against Celtic should Elfsborg be drawn against them is purely between the clubs."

But now that Chelsea has an agreement with Atletico, all of a sudden it isn't kosher?

If Chelsea took this to the CAS, they would win. I doubt they want to go that far though.

Gourlay issued a statement saying something to the degree of "of course Courtois can play" but refrained from mentioning anything regarding a payment so it's still unknown whether Chelsea will seek that payment.
Serotonin
AG
Full statement from 2013 regarding Celtic loan:
quote:
"As we, in line with the FIFA regulations on status and transfer of players, consider a loan to be a transfer, we do not have any regulations regarding players not playing against their parent club whilst on loan to another club. If a player is duly registered on the player list of IF Elfsborg then he can play against any team that Elfsborg are drawn against.

Any agreement between the two clubs that this player wouldn’t play against Celtic should Elfsborg be drawn against them is purely between the clubs. UEFA would not have any involvement or consideration of this agreement, it would be neither endorsed or enforceable by UEFA."

UEFA statement on Chelsea loan:
quote:
"In response to media reports referring to the situation of Club Atlético de Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, UEFA would like to reiterate its position.

“The integrity of sporting competition is a fundamental principle for UEFA.

“Both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match.

“It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as UEFA is concerned.

“Furthermore, any attempt to enforce such a provision would be a clear violation of both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations and would therefore be sanctioned accordingly.”

[This message has been edited by Gator03 (edited 4/11/2014 11:36a).]
byfLuger41
AG
I call BS on UEFA. What's the point of signing a legal document if they can just change it at their leisure?

How this plays out is going to be rather interesting. I don't see Chelsea just folding over.

Calling the SBA elders, Dre and Aston. Has this ever happened before? Thoughts?

We are seeking your council.

gougler08
AG
Seems like something UEFA would do, piece of **** organization
tremble
AG
The correct decision for the game but a poor legal one based on UEFA precedent.
Alan Johnson
AG
At least mourinho has a built-in excuse
Serotonin
AG
quote:
“Both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match.
I totally get these regulations...you wouldn't want Big Club A telling Small Club B, "Hey, if you leave your star player out of this important match, then we'll give you favorable treatment in future dealings."

But this:
quote:
“It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as UEFA is concerned.

“Furthermore, any attempt to enforce such a provision would be a clear violation of both the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations and would therefore be sanctioned accordingly.”
does not follow at all. The hands-off statement given last year to Celtic does make sense.

So I think Chelsea's approach will be to let AM play Courtois and expect to receive payment per his loan contract. If they don't pay then the ball will be back in Chelsea's court...
Gigem Trevas
The Chelsea team to face Swansea City (4-2-3-1).
Cech; Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry (c), Azpilicueta; Ramires, Matic; Salah, Willian, Schurrle; Ba
Subs: Schwarzer, Cole, David Luiz, Mikel, Oscar, £50M , Eto’o.

[This message has been edited by Gigem Trevas (edited 4/13/2014 9:39a).]
Kampfers
AG
Overall I think the Liverpool result suits us. We needed city to drop points if we were to have a chance, and id rather be chasing pool who are shakey at the back.

and if we win at anfield, that would put us over them.

must win today though.

[This message has been edited by kampfers (edited 4/13/2014 10:08a).]
Gigem Trevas
Salah just missed a sitter grazed the post.
Dre_00
For the love of all that is holy, please win the rest of your games. Please. I beg you.
Gigem Trevas
I agree. City still need to drop points from one game as well.
Gigem Trevas
Should be off. That is a yellow card offense.
Gigem Trevas
Yup. There it is.
Kampfers
AG
He is off
Alan Johnson
AG
ask, and you shall receive
gougler08
AG
Seemed harsh to me, but can see it being given as well
Kampfers
AG
Instead of trying to control that flick from Ba, Ramieres probably should have put his head down and tried to direct it on target. Would have been hard to get a lot of power on it.
Gigem Trevas
Nothing doing in the first half so far. The Chelsea always struggle against tight defenses. Gotta leave now so I will not be able to watch the second half.
Kampfers
AG
Salah needs to do better. His touch and finishing are off. Ba's touch is superb. Glad to see him getting a chance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.