1836 Texas Kitchen

177,869 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by J_Landes89
AggieGunslinger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to 1836 for the dirat time last night. Poboy was meh, everything else was very good. That is the loudest restaurant I have ever been to.
RockOn
Went again yesterday with two other people. One ordered the BBQ shrimp plate. It came with 8 medium size shrimps, two pieces of bread, and a green chile sauce. No real sides to be filing yet it was the most expensive order of our table.

Some things are really good like the stacked enchiladas. But then some are serious disappointments and just don't make sense.
spud1910
AG
My wife and I went to 1836 for a late lunch a few weeks ago. We, and our guests, thought it was good. Visited with Carlos a bit. A good first impression. We will try it again.
AGC
AG
I'm sure everyone already knows but Reggie's (burger place at Kinsey and the loop) is gone.
Dro07
AG
So is Sake sushi... found that place too late apparently
RockOn
GoFish is actually really good! Just not as fancy of a venue which will probably do better in Tyler
AggieGunslinger
AG
The Boiling catch was closed at 730 tonight. Did it shut down?
Stive
AG
Supposedly moving over to Old Jacksonville somewhere .
RockOn
Cheng's is closing.
Stive
AG
RockOn said:

Cheng's is closing.
Is that the one next to Corner Bakery?
Dro07
AG
yup

From their FB page.
Quote:

To all my dear customers..I will like to inform you that sadly we are moving out of Tyler and going to Shreveport..I would love to see all of u guys before we leave at the end of this June 30.i will miss you my dear friends.
AGC
AG
Stive said:

Into the Soju building maybe? They're doing construction on it, presumably to add more H/C area and it would already have the necessary ff&e...
Stive
AG
It wasn't terrible for run of the mill Chinese food but the handful of times I've had lunch there it was never very crowded.
RockOn
Yea chengs was that huge building next to Firehouse subs and Corner Bakery. Their hot pot was pretty good, but market is probably Saturated especially with two Panda E's in town
AggieGunslinger
AG
Chiangs was our favorite Asian place. Since we moved to South Flint we don't get to eat there much anymore but it was never crowded no matter when I was in there
Josepi
AG
Chengs was always crowded at 5pm on Fridays. I never went, but apparently, they had a hell of a happy hour. I guess it wasn't enough to carry them through the rest of the week.
jickyjack1
AggieGunslinger said:

Chiangs was our favorite Asian place. Since we moved to South Flint we don't get to eat there much anymore but it was never crowded no matter when I was in there

SOUTH Flint?

I've lived longer than I ever thought I would, I guess.
AGC
AG
AGC said:

Stive said:

Into the Soju building maybe? They're doing construction on it, presumably to add more H/C area and it would already have the necessary ff&e...

I've been told the Soju building will be a Fuzzy's.
Stive
AG
So who owns the Excel ER in S Tyler? Just announced they're closing it down.
Dro07
AG
What the heck is up with steak and shake opening back up on S Broadway?
Stive
AG
Same location?
RockOn
Lol saw that. Yes same location. Signage and equipment never changed.
RockOn
All those free standing ERs are going bust. Dallas is worse than east Texas cities, but will be much of the same. Only a matter of time, maybe 1 or two will survive.
Dro07
AG
Ya same place. It's just been a weird thing I guess. Took forever to open then closed now open again.
UncleDave
Cork moving to the old (new) Seoul Kitchen building? Saw the alcohol sales notice in the Tyler classifieds this past week. 100 block of E. Grande.
Dro07
AG
And it begins...
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

And it begins...

Their demise? Or creepers getting away from the po at Times Square?
Stive
AG
Kind of wondering what he meant as well.

But I've heard that Cork has been struggling for a while. My guess is it's a last gasp at making it.
Dro07
AG
Sorry just work in that shopping center and wishing we had more places to pick from for lunch instead of just walking to Freebirds. I'm sure something better will replace it in the next year or so

Side note I did see that some stuff was going on where Three Z used to be when I was leaving the office so there maybe some hope
AGC
AG
Stive said:

Kind of wondering what he meant as well.

But I've heard that Cork has been struggling for a while. My guess is it's a last gasp at making it.

Lost my business when they ditched bogo sushi and $5 mules.
Dro07
AG
They lost my business when it went from cimmiron to cork and lost the smooch room
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

They lost my business when it went from cimmiron to cork and lost the smooch room

I didn't know about the smooch room! I did enjoy the Aggie happy hour we had there though.
Stive
AG
Smooch room?

Sounds like it's story time.
RockOn
AggieGunslinger
AG
Texas De Brazil's building now has a for lease sign.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.