1836 Texas Kitchen

177,877 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by J_Landes89
suprafly03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He's no dummy...
buy_dont_lease
AG
UncleDave said:

1.5 million dollar restaurant building permit issued for Broadway Square Mall. Any ideas? (per Tylerpaper.com)

I'll guess Longhorn steakhouse. This builder is listed as being on the project, and they have a Longhorn project listed on their website: https://bcibelisle.com/current-projects/
Dro07
AG
sweet another steak house! Need that as much as another Mexican restaurant.
AGC
AG
Culture ETX was tasty. Had about half the things on their menu.Nothing I'd had I'd complain about. Buns on the sliders could be better but still not bad.
Josepi
AG
I think that the pitmaster at Brisket Love in Lindale is the wife of the head chef at Culture ETX. Glad you liked it. I'm looking forward to trying it.
Dro07
AG
Heard the old Jules building is gonna be a Mexican restaurant... anyone else heading this? Wondering what it could be considering like we have all Mexican restaurant chains outside of panchos in Tyler
AsburyAg
AG
I've heard something similar, and the owner of FD's is putting it in.
UncleDave
What About Kabobs is relaunching as a food truck in the next several weeks - per their FB page.
RockOn
Best food news I've heard all year. That place with the original owners was one of my favorites.
Post removed:
by user
Dumpster Fire
buy_dont_lease
AG
RockOn said:

Best food news I've heard all year. That place with the original owners was one of my favorites.
It's a new owner. I met the guy at True Vine a few months back through a mutual friend. He's just someone who was a huge fan of the business, and decided he wanted to bring it back. I understand that he bought all the recipes from the folks who owned it when it closed. Hope it does well.
Stive
AG
Best tacos on the north side?!?
Post removed:
by user
tx.agg.96
AG
Stive said:

Best tacos on the north side?!?
I rotate between mi mexico lindo, mi ranchito, and los gueros. But its prob just because theyre most convenient for me. Ive heard great things about catalinas and king torta, though.
RockOn
The tacos de marisco done villa style (shrimp and octopus) at DJ Mariscos is my favorite at the moment. It's what I'm recommending to anyone that is coming from out of town.

Other greats would be BBQ Hernandez (aka Tacos y Mas) or Mi Mexico Lindo (Front and Chilton).

But a new one to put on your radar is Teodora's Enchiladas on Duncan St off 271 (the street that runs behind King Torta).
UncleDave
The Original Pancake House closing and reopening October 10th as Cork....with breakfast.
Stive
AG
Bummer but understandable.

I go there maybe once a month since it's across the street from my office but I don't think I've ever been in there when there was more than 2-3 tables occupied. Early, mid-morning, lunch, you name it...

Dro07
AG
reopening as Cork? Man that place just keeps picking crappy spots
Stive
AG
What's going in at the Juls location? I know they're remodeling but what's going in there?
J_Landes89
AG
They truly had the worst service in town. They failed because of employees, food was always great, just not interested in spending 2 hours to eat 2 pancakes and bacon
Dro07
AG
A mexican restaurant last I heard but no a chain.
RockOn
Went over to Los Gueros today. it had been a while. Not impressed with their food still. Too much like El Lugar which I also don't care for.

Their jamaica tea is great though.
TOM-M
Cox's Grill is closing this week. Bummer.
Stive
AG
Where is that?!?
TOM-M
SW corner of Vine and Front
J_Landes89
AG
Seriously?!?!? Dang
TOM-M
Yep. That's what I was told this morning.

Can't say I'm surprised. Didn't figure it'd last long after Linda died.
RockOn
I walked down to Culture ETX today for lunch. Not too impressed. Had the Big Pig sandwhich with chips. Probably not worth $14.

I did see a $50 wagyu strip steak that my lunch guest said was wonderful
RockOn
Had to the WAK Food Truck today. I tried not to compare to the original store, but I did.
* $10 for an OG
* Still tastes great and identical to the original store.
* The OG was slightly smaller than the original OG. If anyone remembers the mini-OG its more similar to that.
* Pita chips and hummus were great, $5 and exactly like the original store served.
* Kimchi fries were good.

Overall, I think they'll do well.
Owlagdad
Ate at shell shack on S Broadway. Food was meh and wait staff was disinterested and looked almost WT.
Dro07
AG
Right down the road for me and never really has appealed to me. Thanks for the heads up
Post removed:
by user
murse
AG
I'm pretty upset that none of y'all let us know that Bud Jones Bayou was closed.
J_Landes89
AG
Dang! Too pricey.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.