1836 Texas Kitchen

178,065 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by J_Landes89
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AsburyAg said:

I heard today that Regency Shell at the corner of Broadway and Chimney Rock is closing at the end of the year. (That's Johnny Coffman's garage, if you know him.) That building, the Charmin sewing building, Robinson's Jewelers and the building with the golf store to the west of the Shell station have all been sold to Chick-fil-A.

They're going to tear all those down and build a bigger store.

RockOn
Finally had Brisket Love bbq out in Lindale. Holy hell that was some great stuff.
buy_dont_lease
AG
AsburyAg said:

I heard today that Regency Shell at the corner of Broadway and Chimney Rock is closing at the end of the year. (That's Johnny Coffman's garage, if you know him.) That building, the Charmin sewing building, Robinson's Jewelers and the building with the golf store to the west of the Shell station have all been sold to Chick-fil-A.

They're going to tear all those down and build a bigger store.

Curious where Susan Robinson ends up. I'm not certain of vacant space, but I could see it in the Dakotas shopping center on Old Bullard, or in the Fresh or Swann's shopping centers off either side of Old Jacksonville.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Does anyone know what is going in the white steel building south of the light in Gresham on the west side of Old Jacksonville? They have been building that place for a while but I haven't seen a sign advertising what is coming.
Owlagdad
Black bear diner coming to old Chilis. Anybody ever eat a one? Looks like breakfast place.
AggieGunslinger
AG
They are all over Houston and always crowded at breakfast.
AsburyAg
AG
I think the plant stand/nursery that pops up at the loop and 155 is moving in there as a permanent spot.
Gabster43213
There does not seem to be a true breakfast diner in Tyler which surprises me.
Gabster43213
still looking for enchiladas with chili gravy as opposed to just chili.
Gabster43213
Anyone know of an honest and fair mechanic? I need ont to replace a fuel injector in a chevy cruise.
Stive
AG
Gabster43213 said:

There does not seem to be a true breakfast diner in Tyler which surprises me.

Define what you would consider a "true breakfast diner"?
Stive
AG
Gabster43213 said:

Anyone know of an honest and fair mechanic? I need ont to replace a fuel injector in a chevy cruise.

Terry's Auto Repair (at roughly the corner of Paluxy and Roy Rd) could do this in a nano second.
Outdoorag011
Go get BBQ Hernandez off of Erwin when you get a chance. Really good barbacoa tacos
Mike92
AG
Stive said:

Gabster43213 said:

Terry's Auto Repair (at roughly the corner of Paluxy and Roy Rd) could do this in a nano second.
I've used Terry's several times including a driveshaft replacement and was happy with the service.
Gabster43213
I have had Terry recommended a couple of times. My only problem is that I might need to have it fixed on a Saturday and I believe he is closed on Saturday.
J_Landes89
AG
Chipotle #2 coming to Cumberland Village
Dro07
AG
Hope they upsized the sewage pipes in south tyler.
rooftop18403
Did we ever determine the best pizza in town? Sola is good but I'm still casting my vote for Bruno's.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
rooftop18403 said:

Did we ever determine the best pizza in town? Sola is good but I'm still casting my vote for Bruno's.

Our mainstay is Rounders. Mainly because our kids like their cheese pizza, and it's less than 5 minutes away.

Bruno's is the my wife and I'd favorite then Sola when we have time. It's just too pricey, but love the wood fired flavor.
Gabster43213
I had Top It Off pizza (SE corner of 5th and the Loop) a few days ago. Taste was awesome. Owner is from Long Island.

I thought it had a little too much cheese for my liking. He asked me what my favorite pizza was in the city and I told him Joe's Pizza at 14th and Carmine. He then told me that places in east NYC and Long Island put more cheese on their pizza than those in Manhattan.

Another Tyler New Yorker told me to try Bruno's off of Palace.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I think Brunos is the most over rated pizza in any town, it's one step below red baron. Rounders is top for us but the Top It Off place is on the list.

I also just picked up a ooni so no more take out anyway.
J_Landes89
AG
People always like to go WAY underrated or WAY overrated on Bruno's.. it's good pizza. Not bad or the best.. good! And dining in at Vine location has a "locals" feel to it still
Mike92
AG
I think the pizza at Roma Italian Kitchen on Troup is pretty good. It's near me so it's frequently our go-to for takeout.
PDWT_12
AG
Bruno's, Top it Off, and Rotolos are probably our Top 3.
PeekingDuck
AG
Top it off is the best, but it ain't cheap. I don't understand the love for Bruno's. It's fine but seems like it was just the best of mediocre options in Tyler.
Gabster43213
What about Little Italy on Broadway?
PeekingDuck
AG
It's a cheap Italian place, nothing much to it. Nice folks though, been around a long time I guess. Well, it used to be inexpensive, though everything has gone up. I think they have some pretty decent prices for lunch.
rooftop18403
Does anyone have strong feelings about Villa Montez. I've been many times with groups over the years and always thought it was overrated. Then last week, for another birthday dinner, they brought out the wrong order to a girl in our party and when she asked for a remake the server declined to remake her food. Then when asked to speak to manger the server came back and said the mgr wouldn't be coming out tonight. I was to shocked to even be mad.
DuncanLEO
rooftop18403 said:

Does anyone have strong feelings about Villa Montez. I've been many times with groups over the years and always thought it was overrated. Then last week, for another birthday dinner, they brought out the wrong order to a girl in our party and when she asked for a remake the server declined to remake her food. Then when asked to speak to manger the server came back and said the mgr wouldn't be coming out tonight. I was to shocked to even be mad.
Villa is one of our favorite places. The food is not texmex, so don't go hoping for that.

I'm shocked by the manager issue, that is crazy. Its obviously locally owned and not uncommon to have one of the owners come by and check on you.

I'm not a Karen, but I'd call back and ask to speak with someone to let them know. Not for retribution, but a hospitality service entity needs to know when things like this happen (giving management the benefit of the doubt, even Sewell can produce a bad experience). They should comp you something as well.
Josepi
AG
I like Villa Montez

Call and ask to speak with one of the owners, Carlos or Mundo. They are very hands on, and are up there all the time. I think they would appreciate the opportunity to make this right.
J_Landes89
AG
Traditions in Tyler officially closed! 23 years strong.
Stive
AG
J_Landes89 said:

Traditions in Tyler officially closed! 23 years strong.

I don't remember the last time I was there (at least 10 years). Furthermore, I don't know anyone that eats there on any kind of regular basis….I'm probably 30 years to young to have a peer group like that.
buy_dont_lease
AG
Black Bear Diner that was supposed to move into the old Chili's location on the South Loop has pulled out, per KETK. No reason given.
J_Landes89
AG
Thanks for posting that^ heard tonight the same but wasn't sure rumor or not!
Gabster43213
Is there a mexican buffet restaurant in Tyler? Ive heard there is one but have not heard the name.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.