1836 Texas Kitchen

177,958 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by J_Landes89
Dro07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Damn they are catering to TJC kids with those prices? Are they freaking footlong?!

Found my next deadpool place
AggieGunslinger
AG
It looks roughly double what they used ro charge. Maybe 3x.
AGC
AG
Someone should have had Sonoma. Looks like it's Tvolo now.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I thought Tvolo was going in a different spot? Might be wrong though.
suprafly03
AG
No surprise.

They handled that move so poorly. I didn't like it the one time we went to the new place. The old one was so much better (if that's possible)...

I sound like a real tylerite as they talk about how great the old El Charro was. The current one might as well be Taco Bell.
AGC
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

I thought Tvolo was going in a different spot? Might be wrong though.

Drove past it an hour ago.
AGC
AG
suprafly03 said:

No surprise.

They handled that move so poorly. I didn't like it the one time we went to the new place. The old one was so much better (if that's possible)...

I sound like a real tylerite as they talk about how great the old El Charro was. The current one might as well be Taco Bell.

Shut down for waaaay too long. I didn't go there for dinner because it's out of the way for us.

And the old el charro was terrible. I don't know how the new one could be worse.
Dumpster Fire
Quote:

I sound like a real tylerite as they talk about how great the old El Charro was
There's a couple of us here that used to work at the old EC. Good times and man I loved that place.
Dro07
AG
Uh you used to work there? When?
Dumpster Fire
High school.

(New user name obviously)
Dro07
AG
dang i thought i met someone new from the crew.

He doin aight! Just busy as always.
RockOn
What about kabob is closed
jickyjack1
Josepi said:

Went to the soft opening for Wienerland last night (not sure when the official opening is). Here is a pic of the new menu. Had the Morning Glory, and it was fairly delicious

Good lord. For hot dogs?
I thought they were high before, but good.
But my stars ...

Nothing personal; I hope they make it.
If they're putting our the same size hotdog as before the owner died, well, rots 'o ruck.
Josepi
AG
I agree that they are a bit high. If it were my joint, I would probably knock a dollar off of everything. That being said, it seems like everywhere you eat out has gotten expensive. A burrito, a side of queso, and a drink at Freebirds will run you $14. The #5 combo at Whataburger is nearly $10. Same with The Box at Raising Cains. Against my will, I got dragged to Abuelos the other weekend, and cheese enchiladas were $17. Ridiculous. I forget the actual price, but I'm floored every time I take the kids to Bahama Bucks.

I guess my point is that I do agree that it is a bit expensive, but then again, that seems to be just about the norm. I kind of figure that it's just a right of passage as you get older to complain about how much things cost.
AGC
AG
They're rolling out a food truck (I assume) since they're serving at True Vine Friday night. You can test the quality and drink the rest of your carbs if need be.
Josepi
AG
It's a food trailer, but yeah, they will be at True Vine on Friday (assuming they pass the health inspection this week).
RockOn
Gusanos is closing. No shocker here. Its been empty every time I've gone. Hard to compete with Bruno's right down the street, and a building with a front door in the back.
RockOn
It also looks like that boutique across from ASB on OJV is also going to close. That will put that new building at 100% vacancy.
AGC
AG
Stive said:

Not sure about Jakes.

I'll add an ambiguous place(s) to the deadpool. There are now WAY too many pizza places in south Tyler. There are two new ones going in within a few hundred yards of each other on Broadway (Pie Five next to the new Potbelly and the one in the new building just north of Cheddars).

So between those two, Rounders, Old Chicago, Rotolos, the place in the strip that has The Diner, etc., sombodies going down.

There's your ambiguous winner, folks.
AGC
AG
RockOn said:

It also looks like that boutique across from ASB on OJV is also going to close. That will put that new building at 100% vacancy.

You basing that on the 50% off signs? Surprised it stayed open this long.
Stive
AG
Boom. What do I win?!?!
AGC
AG
Stive said:

Boom. What do I win?!?!

I have a Gusano's giftcard with $6 or less on it for you. You can pick it up Sunday.
Josepi
AG
Forgive me for not being down on my lingo, but what's ASB?
RockOn
American state bank

I think that's the corner at least.
Stive
AG
Free lunch!
Dro07
AG
Stive said:

I like hot food. As in....I don't mind things that would register as a 9 out of 10 on the spicy scale and could handle 10 out of 10 but I think that's just overdoing it.

Well when this place says spicy....they mean SPICY!!!! When I see their highest spice rating I'd think it's going to be a 10, but on their scale it's a freaking 15 and it's so hot it overpowers any of the taste of the meal. So when you "think" you want an 8 out of 10, then ask for a 5 or a 6.

Their scale is skewed.
Oh and we finally went a couple of weeks ago and this place is AWESOME! Highly recommend it to anyone. Garlic Fried Rice is my fav.
jickyjack1
Lunched at 1836 yesterday. Couldn't believe how bad the chicken was; I've never had unchewable chicken before.

The service was excellent, the food (what there was of it) was terrible. .
Dro07
AG
I had the chicken fried chicken last time i went out there with the green sauce and it was great. They must have had an off day
Mike92
AG
Hopefully it was just an off day. I haven't had a bad meal there yet.
jickyjack1
I hadn't until yesterday.

That must have been a mean rabbit.
RockOn
Soju sushi is closed now

I'm surprised it lasted this long. Last time I went there was in 2013. Had a date there and we were about the only ones in the place.
AggieGunslinger
AG
We used to go quite frequently to soju but it changed ownership about a year ago and wasn't the same. It was never busy regardless of who owned it though.
Stive
AG
We went a few months ago and the service was INSANE bad (and I'm usually pretty laid back with service). We used to like it, but there are enough sushi places in town it won't be missed.
AggieGunslinger
AG
That was part of our problem.
RockOn
Downtown subway closeed

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.