1836 Texas Kitchen

176,332 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 9 days ago by J_Landes89
suburban cowboy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tacos by the Trax in Trinity, TX have the best breakfast tacos I've ever had.

Have not tried other offerings.
Dro07
AG
I think we probably discussed this but the old Juls building on Old Jacksonville is going to be a Mexican restaurant. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Anyone have the scoop on it?
AsburyAg
AG
If you had The Catch on Old J'ville in your dead pool. Congratulations! It's now CRUST.

A pizza place.

Good.... we... needed... another.... pizza... place. Sigh.
Dro07
AG
Heck that Joes pizza that was in the shopping center next to the ramen place looks to have closed down too. Didn't last long at all.

That location on Old Jacksonville is not great
PDWT_12
AG
dromo07 said:

I think we probably discussed this but the old Juls building on Old Jacksonville is going to be a Mexican restaurant. Will be interesting to see how it does.

Anyone have the scoop on it?
Supposed to be owned by the FD's folks. Think it's going to be called Javy's? Or something along those lines. I'm excited for it to open up, the food at Jul's was fine but we just liked the location and atmosphere at that spot
RockOn
Sprouts, though.
Stive
AG
RockOn said:

Sprouts, though.

That's going to be interesting to me. Are people further out on the edges of Tyler willing to drive to the loop/Broadway for what Sprouts has to offer? It will get some Azalea district, some Green Acres, maybe even some Holly Tree, but any further south and Fresh is probably still going to be the choice.
Josepi
AG
There is already that Natural Grocers just a few blocks outside the loop on Broadway. I would have to imagine it is very similar in concept to Sprouts. No way both of those stores can survive four blocks from each other.
RockOn
Not food related but the rock climbing gym is closing. Pretty sad as it was a neat thing for Tyler and East Texas to have.
Stive
AG
My kid attended a birthday party at the rock climbing gym yesterday and I spent some time talking to one of the managers. They're closing on Dec 29th and he said It seems Grand Slam is the primary culprit putting the hurt on the other local fun spots.

Easy come easy go.
RockOn
Judging from facebook posts, it seems like there was a division between the two owners - one wanting to focus on parties/kids entertainment and one wanting to focus on climbing as a sport. There was also mention that the bank was foreclosing which if I remember the sign hanging up inside was Bancorp South and would probably assume a SBA slice.

I wonder what price you could take it from the bank that it would still be a viable business?
Stive
AG
Total "pulling out of thin air" on my part but judging by the rent, insurance, and staff for that place, you'd have to have a a LOT of memberships to make it work with just "climbing as a sport" guys. I'm guessing the one wanting to throw parties probably realized the need for cash flow and one off parties were needed supplements to the bottom line.

Businesses like that operate on pretty thin margins anyway and usually aren't managed well. You throw in a new business (of any sort) across town that pulls 2% of their cash flows away and the profits might get cut in half (if not more). Makes for very little room for error.
Dro07
AG
Y'all try pumpjaxes on old Jacksonville? Went this past weekend and had a great time.
RockOn
And now the hot dog stand is Gresham is gone.
Dro07
AG
Dammit! I liked that place. Hoping the taco place next door thrives. That place is good.
Stive
AG
dromo07 said:

Dammit! I liked that place. Hoping the taco place next door thrives. That place is good.
Yes it is! Not a ton of options on the menu but what they do they do it well!
Stive
AG
RockOn said:

That place has been on life support for a while. Not surprised at all.
Aggie09Derek
AG
RockOn said:

For sure this time? It was Aggie owned. Super nice guy.

Went when back home to visit my parents that live a few miles away.
RockOn
Yeah here's from their facebook page today
Quote:

We would like to thank everyone for your loyal patronage and business over the last 6 1/2 years. We couldn't be more thankful for our great customers, wonderful employees, and all of the new friendships we have made. While we will miss you all, we have made the decision to close permanently effective today. We hope you all have a Happy and Healthy 2020 and look forward to seeing you around town!
Txgunrnnr
AG
So, checked out Javi's today. They really did a ton of work on the inside and looks really nice.

Now, the service was really poor and the food was meh. Had the Roberto which is just two small beef burritos, rice and beans. Rice and beans were horrible. Also had the guacamole and had to add a bunch of salt and pepper to give it any flavor.

Chips and salsa ( three flavors of salsa, just like Abuelos ) were good.

Yesterday I had Jucy's breakfast and it was really good. Had the breakfast special with two eggs ( any style), two pieces of sausage, hashbrowns and biscuits with gravy. Y'all should really check out their breakfast.

The Crust ( old Catch ) on old Jacksonville was really good. Was there a couple of weeks ago for a customer lunch before they officially opened. All we had available was the pizza, but it was good. They also have a full bar.

Happy New Year, now I just to stop eating out so much.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Dro07
AG
The crust was good! Really enjoyed it.

Got the super delux pizza and it was on point. The pizzas varie in size from pizza to pizza so keep that in mind.
Honey jalapeo wings were good as well.
Beignets with the Carmel... holy hell thems were gud.
Drinks were weak

Overall we really enjoyed it and hope it stays around for a while.
Post removed:
by user
Dro07
AG
On old Jacksonville where the old fish city used to be. Right by cantina Laredo
Post removed:
by user
Txgunrnnr
AG
Aggiebrewer said:

dromo07 said:

On old Jacksonville where the old fish city used to be. Right by cantina Laredo

Can I get the name of the restaurant?
The Crust.
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Post removed:
by user
OkinTexas
East Texas = God's Country. And that's not a slight towards the more secular among us, it just means that East Texas is truly beautiful. I love East Texas and the tall pines trees. It reminds me of the Pacific Northwest without the mountains, visually.

It's gorgeous and to boot, it's in Texas. But I also love just about every other part of Texas.

I'm originally from Oklahoma but Texas is just in a class all by itself.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Sounds like they are trying to be Mi Cocina.
Dro07
AG
A friend of mine compared it to mi Cocina
Txgunrnnr
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Sounds like they are trying to be Mi Cocina.
Good point. But they missed on the quality of food.

#FJB
Dro07
AG
Oh finally went to brisket love in Lindale over the holidays and it was real good. Had the 2 meat plate with ribs and sliced brisket Mac and cheese and German potato salad. Will go back for sure, enjoyed the venue as well.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Didn't somebody here say the Brisket Love is owned by an Aggie?
Josepi
AG
Agree on Brisket Love. It's a bit of a drive from Tyler, but it was fun. Food was good, and we sat in the back "Beer Garden" and drank beer while the kids played. Good times.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Ate at Javis yesterday and thought it was pretty good. They are absolutely trying for a Mi Cocina vibe. I had fajitas and they were really good, so was the brisket taco appetizer.

I thought the guac was good but I like my guac simple, too many add ins is a problem.
bpaggie01
AG
Just tried Javy's for the first time or shall I say Mico-Tyler. Outstanding service, very good food, and the gf was impressed with the Mico Taxi and she's a big Mambo fan. Hopefully they keep it up. Tyler needs a place like this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.