1836 Texas Kitchen

177,824 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by J_Landes89
RockOn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That pizza place is great. Always a full lunch crowd. It's too close to downtown to fail.

I'll take the seafood shack that's in the old rib masters location. That's a dead zone.

Kvabob lounge on Shiloh
Aspen grill
Villagio del vino
Buffalo Wild Wings
Beef jerky store at Cumberland
AGC
AG
How's the oyster bar looking? I haven't been yet.
Josepi
AG
I agree with Aspen Grill. Everything fails there.
Stive
AG
RockOn said:

That pizza place is great. Always a full lunch crowd. It's too close to downtown to fail.

I'll take the seafood shack that's in the old rib masters location. That's a dead zone.

Kvabob lounge on Shiloh
Aspen grill
Villagio del vino
Buffalo Wild Wings
Beef jerky store at Cumberland

I've never heard of Kvabob. Where is it on Shiloh?

Tried Aspen....wasn't that great. It will go out.

I feel like I've seen Villagio....where is that?

Is Buffalo Wild Wings in trouble? I feel like every night I drive by there it looks crowded.

If we're counting food stores, I agree on the beef jerky. What a terrible idea.
Josepi
AG
I thought the bunt cake store was a terrible idea, but apparently it's doing well.

Villagio is right next to Dakotas, behind the mall.
Dro07
AG
Josepi said:

I'll submit the NY Pizza place up by Bergfeld Park.

You shut ur dirty mouth! That's my fav place
Stive
AG
The bundt cake place is a franchise. Is the beef jerky store?

People order bundt cakes for parties, and other get togethers. I know people that will pick one up just for the office from time to time. Beef jerky is much more random on purchases, and tends to be crazy expensive for what you get.

I'd forgotten Villagio was called Villagio. I just call it "the Italian place by Dakotas".
suprafly03
AG
Villagio del Vino will not close anytime soon. Harley won't let it. It's his pet project, and he doesn't care if it makes a dollar.

Personally my wife and I like it. We know many that don't though.
Stive
AG
suprafly03 said:

Villagio del Vino will not close anytime soon. Harley won't let it. It's his pet project, and he doesn't care if it makes a dollar.

Personally my wife and I like it. We know many that don't though.

Villagios manager is leaving in April and there are some questions/doubts about what will happen after that. Employees come and go, but apparently this is a biggie for them.

On another note, someone said Genghis Grill closed. I didn't have them in my pool.
Josepi
AG
I like the Pistachio pizza at Villagio, but everything else I've had there is just meh.

Id forgotten about Ghengis Grill. I can't say I will miss it.

Has anyone tried the new Italian street food place? I don't remember the name.
Stive
AG
Piadas? Or something like that. The one in Cumberland Village?
Josepi
AG
Yeah, that's it. I knew the name was Pia... Something. I don't know anyone who's been there yet, but they sent us a flyer in the mail and it looked interesting.
Dro07
AG
Piadas is alright. Nothing special for me anyways.
Josepi
AG
I've heard the newish Thai food place in Cumberland is pretty good.
Stive
AG
Josepi said:

I've heard the newish Thai food place in Cumberland is pretty good.

We liked it! Hoping a Thai place can make it here.....I freaking love good Thai food.
Dro07
AG
Gonna go try it out this weekend. Any recommendations?
Stive
AG
I like hot food. As in....I don't mind things that would register as a 9 out of 10 on the spicy scale and could handle 10 out of 10 but I think that's just overdoing it.

Well when this place says spicy....they mean SPICY!!!! When I see their highest spice rating I'd think it's going to be a 10, but on their scale it's a freaking 15 and it's so hot it overpowers any of the taste of the meal. So when you "think" you want an 8 out of 10, then ask for a 5 or a 6.

Their scale is skewed.
Dro07
AG
The most damage comes the day after for me so thanks for the heads up!
RockOn
Typo should be Kabob. its on the east side of Paluxy before you get to Troup.

I tried Aspen Grill yesterday, just as expected it's an Applebee's clone. Nothing special.
RockOn
I like Piada as a quick/simple option.

Love the Thai place- Changmai. but I also loved Basil Thai.
Girlhowdy
AG
What's the consensus of Portofino's? I've given it two tries and had terrible food both times. I think it will close soon.
Josepi
AG
Lil$Ag said:

What's the consensus of Portofino's? I've given it two tries and had terrible food both times. I think it will close soon.

We've been once and thought it was pretty bland. Haven't been back. I'm surprised it is still open.
Stive
AG
Maybe I'm a weirdo but I like it. I've got a friend that I consider a bit of a foodie and he likes it too.

That being said, I don't have a clue how it stays open. I eat there for lunch about once per month and I've never seen more than 4-5 other people in there. They either have more patience/money than anyone else or they have a nice dinner crowd.
Dro07
AG
Just noticed that Chris and Sams place closed down on old Jacksonville. How long that been out of business?
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

Just noticed that Chris and Sams place closed down on old Jacksonville. How long that been out of business?

Months, if not a year. Long time.
Dro07
AG
Should tell you what I thought about that place
Josepi
AG
Is Jake's closed? My wife said she saw a Drake sign on it yesterday.

Also, went to 1836 last night. It's pretty good. Interesting menu. It's a mix between southern food (collard greens, grits, lots of country fried), Cajun (gumbo, and a few others), and Mexican. I had skirt steak on top of a pile of French fries that were covered in queso. It wasn't the best thing I've ever had, but it was good. I also tried some of the pork shank which was spectacular. They obviously still have some kinks to work out, but I will go back.
Stive
AG
Not sure about Jakes.

I'll add an ambiguous place(s) to the deadpool. There are now WAY too many pizza places in south Tyler. There are two new ones going in within a few hundred yards of each other on Broadway (Pie Five next to the new Potbelly and the one in the new building just north of Cheddars).

So between those two, Rounders, Old Chicago, Rotolos, the place in the strip that has The Diner, etc., sombodies going down.
Josepi
AG
Speaking of pizza places in South Tyler, I was at Gusano's on Friday afternoon from lunch. March madness, St Patty's, beer specials, etc... And we were the only people in the restaurant. We were there for two hours and only say two other people came in the entire time. That place had to be bleeding money
easttexasaggie04
AG
One thing that might be hurting the Tyler eateries are all the new places in Longview. Yea, they are mostly chains but people flock to the generic places. We live in Marshall and will opt for driving to Shreveport 90% of the time.
AGC
AG
Jakes went out of business shortly after Jack Ryans opened.
Josepi
AG
I had no idea. I liked the rooftop when the weather was nice.
Dro07
AG
Ya Jakes has been gone for a while... never ate there but did enjoy the roof top bar.

Gusanos has not been good at all anytime i have gone and gave up on that place. I do like Old Chicago but you guys are right on the pizza joints. There is that Pizza Cafe opening up next to salsaritas... wtf is a Pizza Cafe?
RockOn
I guess there's nothing we can really do except just sit back and observe the train wreck? Maybe pick up some cheap CRE here in a few years?

I'm more favorable to an undervalued, but suitable downtown building than anything in south Tyler.
AggieGunslinger
AG
The new pizza joint next to Bahama Bucks is Palios, that was the closest pizza joint near us when we lived in Prosper, we drove past it to others.

I don't know anyone who likes Guisanos.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.