1836 Texas Kitchen

177,842 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by J_Landes89
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just drove by The Stand and it's still open. Is it scheduled to close? Or was the rumor false?
Post removed:
by user
Aggie09Derek
AG
Stive said:

Just drove by The Stand and it's still open. Is it scheduled to close? Or was the rumor false?

I may have gotten bad intel - my dad drove by and thought it was closed for good.
Dro07
AG
Nothing on their fb suggest they are closed or closing
AggieGunslinger
AG
I don't think they are closed, but apparently Gus's closed for good on Monday.
Dro07
AG
Ya he hasn't been doing to well after his surgery.
Stive
AG
Fair enough and I'm surprised they lasted this long. The food was pretty average and I don't think they ever got their liquor license did they? His must have a felony on his record to not be able to get his license after this length of time.
Dro07
AG
No felony. He used to own el charros, he was one of the sons, and didn't want to pay for license and insurance.

Dude used to be county commish among other things. He stayed open due to people who knew him.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I don't know but they would provide free magaritas while you waited in the drive through. The food was okay but during the busy season it was better than fighting traffic inside 49.
AGC
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

I don't think they are closed, but apparently Gus's closed for good on Monday.

It lasted longer than I ever thought it would. If that food is average Jalapeno Tree and Posadas must be a fancy dinner.
Dro07
AG
My next guess is Cantina Laredo... looks like the **** is hitting the fan and everyone is quitting cuz the owner/manager is pocketing their tips. They did have good margs but we won't be back. Same guy that flushed Sonoma and fish city down the crapper. Still pissed about fish city too.
Stive
AG
Really? That place seems covered up most days. But that may just be an illusion because of the cruddy parking situation they've got.

Original Pancake House is on my "probably on it's way out" list. I've been in there quite a few times but outside of the one or two times since the first week, I've never seen more than 4-5 tables occupied while I'm there
AggieGunslinger
AG
What is the story with Crab Shack, is it ever going to open?
Dro07
AG
Story I heard is that they ran into some funding issues that caused them to stop. It does look like it is nearing completion though.
UncleDave
Article on Easttexasmatters.com on Cantina Laredo employees not being paid properly.

Shell Shack and the bank down the street are having a competition to see who is the slowest. The bank hasn't been touched in months.
Dro07
AG
That bank... I like my job so I won't comment.
AggieGunslinger
AG
The gas station on Hwy 155 North of the Constable's office is giving them both a run for their money.
UncleDave
Speaking of gas stations, any idea what the plans are for the lot just S of Andy's, that used to be a gas station?
J_Landes89
AG
Taco Cabana is what I hear
Dro07
AG
yes and its not taco cabana. its going to be a bank.
Post removed:
by user
J_Landes89
AG
A bank to go accross the street from the brand new updated bank.. NICE!
J_Landes89
AG
Serious question, I've heard from someone in the mortgage business here, that Cheesecake Factory, Top Golf, and Nordstrom Rack were all but done deals to head this way..

Anyone else hear same??? I am hoping to be minimally flamed, just passing along what the bird said
AggieGunslinger
AG
Add Costco to the list and it is the same rumor I have heard since about 2013.
Dro07
AG
those along with the new one of Hooters where Fridays used to be have been going full steam since the fall. Don't know about how legit they are.

The taco cabana was going to go where Jizzle said but that fell through in Oct/Nov
J_Landes89
AG
I've heard a Hooters into the TGI Friday's AND also that's where cheesecake was going
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

yes and its not taco cabana. its going to be a bank.

ASB if I had to guess. Feel sorry for anyone that actually uses it once it's there (regardless of what bank it is).
Stive
AG
Why?
AGC
AG
Stive said:

Why?

They've been looking for a south broadway location for years. Tried to snap up some property awhile back that wasn't openly advertised but were declined. I can't divulge much more.
Stive
AG
Fair enough...but why the "feel sorry for anyone that uses it" line? You even included the "regardless of what bank it is" line. Location? Parking?

(Or is this the typical dogpile that people have for ASB?)
AGC
AG
Stive said:

Fair enough...but why the "feel sorry for anyone that uses it" line? You even included the "regardless of what bank it is" line. Location? Parking?

(Or is this the typical dogpile that people have for ASB?)

Yes, location and parking. The other side has access to Old Bullard so you don't have to do u-turns to get anywhere. Imagine heading south on broadway and wanting to go to that branch and u turning at grande. Andy's bought the land behind them because they needed the space and access is still bad when it backs up (same with chic fil a). If you want it to be office space with no traffic that's fine for that location. If you expect a lot of foot traffic though I'm not sure it's a good spot. But maybe that's not what they're expecting.

Most banks are shrinking their footprint due to changing demographics when it comes to banking (younger gen is more online an doesn't wander in). That's why cap one got rid of all but one location. Regions got rid of the Gresham branch and the bank that bought it eventually converted it to insurance. BBVAs old Jacksonville location got sold and is now gospel village. Southside took their south broadway presence from two spaces to one with a smaller lobby. Lots of banks now crosstrain all employees to do all retail accounts so they don't need as much space or as many employees. If you own branches as a land play that's one thing but it's not the banking model most plan on for the future.
Stive
AG
Makes sense on the location being bad. And when you said foot traffic could be an issue I laughed because my brain immediately went to what you had already typed out next regarding shrinking foot traffic at branches.

I still don't understand why any bank expands their lobbies beyond what they already have. There's still a need....but not one every 2-3 miles.
Post removed:
by user
Dro07
AG
Paladios pizza or whatever looks to be closed and has a sign that says joes pizza coming soon
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

Paladios pizza or whatever looks to be closed and has a sign that says joes pizza coming soon

Looks like the pizza bubble on s broadway is bursting!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.