1836 Texas Kitchen

177,838 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 16 days ago by J_Landes89
Post removed:
by user
Stive
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not restaraunt related but now that the car wash at Grande and Broadway is officially closed, where else in town can you get your car washed like that? There are other drive through spots and vacuum spots, but places that will do it all for you and spray/wipe down the inside of the car all the way?
Post removed:
by user
Stive
AG
There's a detail shop right by Steinmart (south end of that parking lot) but they're pretty expensive.

Just wondered if there was another "drive through, get out, we'll vacuum and wipe down the inside and be done in 20-30 min" type places.
Post removed:
by user
Stive
AG
That's what I've heard. May need to check it out.
J_Landes89
AG
There's a detail place just 200 feet north of Stanley's on Beckham, cash only. Really good spot
Stive
AG
Do it while you wait? Or need to drop it off and come back later?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Stive said:

Not restaraunt related but now that the car wash at Grande and Broadway is officially closed, where else in town can you get your car washed like that? There are other drive through spots and vacuum spots, but places that will do it all for you and spray/wipe down the inside of the car all the way?
Damn...that place had been there forever. Wonder if business was just that slow or needed a bunch of repairs or something and owners didn't want to put money back into it.

I'm guessing they did pretty well on that over the years.

Stive
AG
That was my question as well. There wasn't a sunny day that they didn't have cars all over the parking lot. I'm sure the $5 wash down by the theater probably hurt them a bit and there's a new one going in at Cumberland/Broadway next to Academy. But just from the eyeball test, that place was always hopping.

Dro07
AG

Quote:

there's a new one going in at Cumberland/Broadway next to Academy

Im not tree hugger by any means but damn I cant believe they scalped that place down just for a freaking car wash... Looks terrible.
Stive
AG
They actually left more than I thought they would. They could have stripped it clean but they left a few pines around the edges
J_Landes89
AG
While you wait
J_Landes89
AG
I had heard new ownership was just biting be bullet for a year and updating all the machines/facility there..... longer it sits untouched the more I doubt that info..
Stive
AG
I bought that throughout the summer but the "sold" sign wasn't up all summer and it seems CRAZY to let it sit idle for that long with no visible progress being made.

Superfly needs to ask his Drake connection what's going on with it.
RockOn
Every 18 months we're just going to plow over some trees and put in a car wash and self storage facility until we make it down to Jacksonville.

Saw there's a self storage place going in near Oasis South on Broadway in Flint.
J_Landes89
AG
US has more self storage spaces than the rest of the world combined now... amazing
AggieGunslinger
AG
That place by Oasis has been "coming soon" for about 18 months. I'm not real confident that it's going to happen, which is fine with me.
AGC
AG
Jizzle89 said:

I had heard new ownership was just biting be bullet for a year and updating all the machines/facility there..... longer it sits untouched the more I doubt that info..

This is the case to my knowledge. Insurance might be a pita for that location too though (flood area and all), so who knows if that's contributing to the delay.
AGC
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

That place by Oasis has been "coming soon" for about 18 months. I'm not real confident that it's going to happen, which is fine with me.

Oh I think it's coming alright. Maybe some business changes or other things going on prior to development.
Owlagdad
Mannys opened at 5th and Beckham-- in redone corner where Biglots is. Nice looking place-- patio-- have not eaten there yet.
J_Landes89
AG
One of the El Charro's brothers
Dro07
AG
He is married to one of the el charro daughters. Friend said they went and it was bad but I will probably give it a try before i pass official judgement.
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

He is married to one of the el charro daughters. Friend said they went and it was bad but I will probably give it a try before i pass official judgement.

Hmm...well that dampens my enthusiasm a little. Parking lot was full when I drove by last.
J_Landes89
AG
Actually tried to go last night, they had some event going on, but didn't make it.... heard it was a good turnout..

Too bad that family's queso recipe is the worst in history..
Dro07
AG
Ya the queso there was never my favorite when i worked at the original ones before they closed. When people would order it I was ask if they had it before and if they said no I would bring just a bit to taste it before they decided. They would usually decide against it in most cases. Too onion heavy
RockOn
Had anyone tried Burger Warehouse in the Green acres shopping center? I had not heard of it until I drove through there last night.
Dumpster Fire
Their queso is the worst. Angel told me to do the same thing dromo did when I worked there too.
Josepi
AG
RockOn said:

Had anyone tried Burger Warehouse in the Green acres shopping center? I had not heard of it until I drove through there last night.

We ate there right when it opened. The hamburger was really good, but they opened too early. The employees had no idea what they we're doing, they ran out of dishes, so they we're serving on paper plates, etc... That was probably two or three months ago though. Assuming they get their act together, I would go back. The burger was pretty good.
Dro07
AG
Been there before and it was good. Its on the other side of town for me so I haven't been to it in a while.
AGC
AG
RockOn said:

I too enjoyed it the one time I ate there. Different kinds of ketchups too for dipping.
RockOn
dromo07 said:

Been there before and it was good. Its on the other side of town for me so I haven't been to it in a while.

Well is South of 5th so you know where I stand on it.
TOM-M
Went to Mannys for lunch yesterday. Thought it was good...anybody who says different didn't/doesn't like El Charro, IMO. Same menu best I could tell, and the best part is it isn't in the S Tyler CF.

I simply can't wrap my head around El Charro queso being "bad". Must come from the cut the onions types?
Dro07
AG
Any one who thought it was "good" must be from the extra onions type. Trust me I worked at El Charro for about 8 years and not many people liked it.

How was the Chicken Fried Steak? Is it as good as the original?
TOM-M
Guess I'm one of the extra onions types, then...been loving the stuff for a loooooong time.

Didn't get the chicken fried. I'm a summer plate junkie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.