1836 Texas Kitchen

178,121 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by J_Landes89
PDWT_12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
On Glenwood, just south of Front St. Little grey shack with the words BAR-B-Q HERNANDEZ painted in yellow letters on it, I probably would have never tried it if not for all the recommendations.

Dro07
AG
ooohhh I know that place. Driven by that a few times when I used to work on that side of town.
AGC
AG
dromo07 said:

ooohhh I know that place. Driven by that a few times when I used to work on that side of town.

How have you not eaten there? Pretty sure I and others have dropped the name over the years in this forum.
Dro07
AG
No idea bruh.
Dro07
AG
Dog tags was good by the way. Had one of the burgers there with the jalapeo bun and added a fried egg. Also got the pretzel bites with beer cheese. Had about 7ish beers and would go again.
AsburyAg
AG
My family and I got burgers from Kamo's down in Gresham last night. We had 3 of the 5 different burgers they offer - cheese burger, double meat, and the boudin. All three were great. Had the sweet potato fries, too. Excellent.

I recommend it, if you get the chance to go. FYI - It's "to go" only.

It's in the shopping center next to the Chevron/Whataburger. It's the litte red brick building of the three that sit in the middle of the parking lot.

Kamos Kajun Grill
Dro07
AG
Roast closed it doors
Stive
AG
Kind of surprised they lasted this long.
Dro07
AG
Agreed. I figured they would have closed during the initial lock down and just focused on their golden goose
Josepi
AG
The owners bought some of that vacant land around Stanley's a year or two ago. I don't think Roast was losing money, but I don't think it was killing it either. With the lease being up at Roast, it was the right time to shut it down, and focus their energy/assets on what they want to do on that land they purchased. I know they have some pretty cool dreams/ideas for their next project.
buy_dont_lease
AG
Such as?
Owlagdad
Yolis on S Broadway in old Fazolis? Chain or Mom and Pop Mexican?
AggieGunslinger
AG
Mom and Pop, the original is in Whitehouse I think. Haven't eaten there but a coworker said it was bland.
Dro07
AG
Been there a couple of times. Their business model is tough. The waiter is the cashier and they need to change it to more of a number order and self service cuz it's really slow. Street tacos are good haven't had anything else but they are good enough for their taco Thursday's deal.
Stive
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Mom and Pop, the original is in Whitehouse I think. Haven't eaten there but a coworker said it was bland.

I'm in Whitehouse everyday and I'm trying to picture where this would be.
AggieGunslinger
AG
I have no clue, I am not 100% sure it is Whitehouse but I think that is what the newspaper article said when they did the story on the new location.
AsburyAg
AG
Listed as 304 E. Main.
Across the road from the splash pad and the PD.
Dro07
AG
So did twisted root officially go down in Tyler?
AsburyAg
AG
I think so. It's never comeback since the shutdown. I was by there a few weeks ago and it looked deserted to me.
Josepi
AG
I don't know what happened with Twisted Root. It shut down in March/April, and that was it. It never tried to reopen, never tried take-out, etc...
Dro07
AG
ya its just weird. I found that they say they are temporarily closed but that they also file for bankruptcy during the summer. I guess this is on the list now too.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Anyone had McGee's BBQ in she shell station on Old Jacksonville just north of 49? I hope to give it a try this week sometime.
Stive
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Anyone had McGee's BBQ in she shell station on Old Jacksonville just north of 49? I hope to give it a try this week sometime.

I drive by it all the time but rarely at lunch. It always smells good but haven't tried it.

On a separate note I'm LOVING Big Shots coffee in the old hot dog stand at Gresham. The girls that run it are super friendly, the drinks are really good, and it's in a convenient place for me.

Hope they can stick it out.
Dro07
AG
is it better than the cowboy hat place?
Stive
AG
dromo07 said:

is it better than the cowboy hat place?

Definitely
Stive
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Tried it today and it's average. I've had worse brisket and I've had way better. Sausage wasn't bad but nothing thrilling. I liked their sauce but I'm a guy that likes sweet BBQ sauces.

2 meat plate with 2 sides, a piece of Texas toast, and onions and pickles was $16.99. Seemed high but I haven't priced plates like that in a while and don't eat a whole lot of Q these days.

I try to give new food joints multiple tries just to allow for a bad day (especially on BBQ) so I'll see how it plays out.
Dro07
AG
Manny's going down. Never been
Txgunrnnr
AG
dromo07 said:

Manny's going down. Never been
What? They're closing?
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Dro07
AG
That's what the Tyler paper and their Facebook said.
J_Landes89
AG
From Facebook:

Hello everyone!

Due to mounting debt, taxes and COVID struggles we have to shut down as of today Saturday 02/06/2021 at 10pm or till the volume ends. We are preferring cash if possible for all transactions but not mandatory.
By the Grace of our Lord, we're going to reorganize and reopen under new ownership in a few weeks. We appreciate your wonderful support all these years and especially your friendship. Together with you in prayer and unity with our Lord, not only will we survive, WE WILL THRIVE!

Manny
Txgunrnnr
AG
Jizzle89 said:

From Facebook:

Hello everyone!

Due to mounting debt, taxes and COVID struggles we have to shut down as of today Saturday 02/06/2021 at 10pm or till the volume ends. We are preferring cash if possible for all transactions but not mandatory.
By the Grace of our Lord, we're going to reorganize and reopen under new ownership in a few weeks. We appreciate your wonderful support all these years and especially your friendship. Together with you in prayer and unity with our Lord, not only will we survive, WE WILL THRIVE!

Manny
Damn
“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” -Henry Ford

#FJB
Stive
AG
Never went. Was it any good?
Dro07
AG
I've heard really mixed reviews but nothing first hand.
RockOn
Requesting cash-only is a pretty good sign of either...
1. IRS tax lien on their bank account
2. Owe money on a hard-money lender through their payment processor
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Sucks to hear about mannys.

I did like the street tacos, and habanero sauce. Not s bad deal when I need to run down the street for a quick lunch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.