1836 Texas Kitchen

177,561 Views | 1210 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by J_Landes89
Post removed:
by user
Dumpster Fire
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My family said they remembered someone with her name. But it isn't their fault she went liberal
Dro07
AG
Juls closing and turning into... an event center? dafuq
AggieGunslinger
AG
Everything about Juls was inconsistent, from the food to the service. I did enjoy getting a drink on the patio when the weather was right though.
Dro07
AG
I only went there like 3 times didn't like the vibe and never went back. Just a weird transition to a event center especially over there.
Stive
AG
Wow that stretch of OJ has been tough on food places lately. Anyone know how Texas De Brazil is doing? Bruno's always looks like a decent crowd.
AGC
AG
AggieGunslinger said:

Everything about Juls was inconsistent, from the food to the service. I did enjoy getting a drink on the patio when the weather was right though.

The play area for kids was nice but there was limited seating.
TOM-M
Stive said:

Wow that stretch of OJ has been tough on food places lately. Anyone know how Texas De Brazil is doing? Bruno's always looks like a decent crowd.
I obviously don't get out as much as most here since I don't recognize the names of lots of the places mentioned (lived in Tyler area most of my 56 years...try my damndest to avoid S Tyler anymore than necessary), but last friday night Texas De Brazil was crowded. Food was great and the guys bringing the meat around were johnny on the spot. Our waitress sucked.

By the way, if anybody here drives a black yukon, century club sticker and license plate starts with "2AGS", your left rear brake light doesn't work.
RockOn
From reading this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if y'all knew this was happening back in December.

Cumberland shopping center has won the retail battle over OJV. Give it 5 more years and OJV will finally get the retail it wanted.
AGC
AG
RockOn said:

From reading this thread, I wouldn't be surprised if y'all knew this was happening back in December.

Cumberland shopping center has won the retail battle over OJV. Give it 5 more years and OJV will finally get the retail it wanted.

The give away was changing the cafe to holy guacamole, putting in kup-pow, and revamping the menu.
pantherag
AG
Where Sonoma Grill and Fish City Grill moved on OJH, both of those spots are merging into one large spot and it will be Cantina Laredo.

The old Gusanas is becoming the Orginal Pancake House.
Dro07
AG
pantherag said:

Where Sonoma Grill and Fish City Grill moved on OJH, both of those spots are merging into one large spot and it will be Cantina Laredo.
Awesome! You know i was thinking the other day on how we needed another mexican restaurant. Same owner I am guessing?
pantherag
AG
dromo07 said:

pantherag said:

Awesome! You know i was thinking the other day on how we needed another mexican restaurant. Same owner I am guessing?

No it will be a different owner and group coming to Tyler. Cantina Laredo should do well in Tyler. Although we have plenty of Mexican choices we don't have a higher end Mexican choice.
Dro07
AG
Looks like Lola's is shutting its doors. Another hit on OJ
Stive
AG
Where/what was Lola's?
Dro07
AG
It was a small handcrafted sandwich shop on old Jacksonville near flint next to Gus and the shack. It was pretty good we went out there a few times.
Josepi
AG
dromo07 said:

Looks like Lola's is shutting its doors. Another hit on OJ

I heard that today. I hate it. That was one of my favorite places in town. RIP Mob Boss and TABC.

I guess we had to make way for a few more average chain restaurants though.
murse
AG
Had to go by today and get a Cuban one last time before they closed.
Dro07
AG
murse said:

Had to go by today and get a Cuban one last time before they closed.
Glad you were able to get one. We went out there around 12:45 and they ran out of bread so no sandwiches
Josepi
AG
Anybody know why they are closing? Went on Thursday and it was an hour wait for a sandwich. They were slammed.
Dro07
AG
All they said were unforeseen circumstance but don't really know.
murse
AG
I ordered mine five minutes before they ran out and there was a one hour wait to get it. Worth it though.
Josepi
AG
Ate at Whatsub Banh Mi for dinner last night. For those of you who aren't aware of it, it's a semi-new place a few doors down from The Diner on south Broadway.

Other than pho, I'm not especially well versed in Vietnamese food, so we just took the owners recommendations on what to order. Got a rice bowl with pork, and a house sandwich. Both were really good. For anyone who hasn't been yet, I highly recommend trying it. It's pretty cheap too. Our dinner for 2 was $15.
tx.agg.96
AG
Josepi said:

Ate at Whatsub Banh Mi for dinner last night.
Heard great things. Looking forward to trying it!
Dro07
AG
Is it in or next to the nail salon? That thing is small
Josepi
AG
It's next to the nail salon. It looks like they took one retail spot, and cut it in half. I would suspect that Banh Mi and the nail salon are probably owned by the same people.

Its community seating. Two long tables with benches. Probably holds 30 people.
J_Landes89
AG
Love that place!!!
Dro07
AG
Lola's is apparently reopening soon
J_Landes89
AG
WHAT ?!?!?!?
Dro07
AG
New owner not sure if it will be the same cooks. That's the news on the street. Not sure about timeline
Josepi
AG
When I was in Lola's the day before it closed, I asked if they would ever reopen. the owner said, "I can't tell you the plans, but I think you will be happy."
Owlagdad
Yesterdays paper had Lolas applying for liquor license on Broadway
Dro07
AG
Really? I wonder where they are going to be going, Did it say the location?
J_Landes89
AG
They should be in the front of Kohl's parking lot heading up the hill on S. Broadway.. soooo much room for soo few cars
Dro07
AG
I was wondering what was going on there. Will it be a stand alone or a retail center?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.