Bryan/College Station - Coming & Going, Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2015)

510,319 Views | 1377 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Stewade
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Glad to hear about that Thai restaurant. That area could finally use a decent place to eat.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Banner outside Hastings says something along the lines of "everything must go".
Went today. Hundreds of great VHS tapes from the late 90's.. 4 for $3.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Everything in store 30% off at Hastings
mAgnoliAg
AG
Does anybody know when that lululemon store is gonna open?
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
quote:
I threw out boxes of VHS movies and 2 VCRs years ago. Do people still use VCRs?
BCStalk
Psh I'm still rocking the laser disc
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
I threw out boxes of VHS movies and 2 VCRs years ago. Do people still use VCRs?
I know of a couple professors...
carpe vinum
AG
BetaMax or gtfo
AgySkeet06
AG
The lululemon store is going in at the wood stone shopping center behind southern jewelz and next to artastic craft studio
dave99ag
AG
That's an interesting location for a Lululemon. My guess is this is not going to be one of their larger retail stores. My wife has taken me to some where they're essentially a yoga studio that has a small selection of clothing.

An ideal location would be Northpoint (not much retail there yet though) or the new development next door. Hopefully they're getting some good retail tenants.
aggiepm
AG
Ya, that's an interesting location choice... I guess you have the sorority houses right there by it haha!
fcag
AG
The space they are moving into is actually pretty nice and spacious, with a good layout for that type of business. I remember walking through it late last year.
spudag
AG
Does anybody know what's going into the building next to the old La Bodega off of Wellborn? A few days ago I saw somebody cleaning up the outside area and a bunch of people inside.
aggiepm
AG
I just ran into one of the girls who is opening the store outside of Mugwalls and saw the Facebook page haha! You were totally right
C XX I
quote:
Does anybody know what's going into the building next to the old La Bodega off of Wellborn? A few days ago I saw somebody cleaning up the outside area and a bunch of people inside.
It's for sale - they were clearing out all of the old chairs/equipment/etc to pay bills.
australopithecus robustus
It's actually going to be some kind of semi upscale elixir lounge that the manager of boulevard is opening. And no I'm not joking, I couldn't make that up lol
C XX I
I'm not sure what you mean; like a cocktail "mixology" (god I hate that word) bar?
australopithecus robustus
Yes, as I understand it
C XX I
I think the area "could" support that concept, but it would have to be done well. I've seen places like Gibson in DC, midnight cowboy in Austin, PX in virginia that ace it, and places that...don't. It takes a strong commitment to do it well - commitment that definitely hasn't been seen at BLVD.

Hope they've figured out parking.
Mr. Griswold
Sounds like a great concept but I hate that it's at Northgate. Not the type of crowd I would expect to support a place like that but who knows.
george07
AG
No way a place like that will make it in College Station. I like places like that once in awhile but I'm 30 years old. When I was in school I wanted cheap drinks to get me drunk. You have to wait for 10 minutes for each drink at a place like that and college students are not going to go for it.
KidDoc
AG
I think a mixology type place could make it in BCS but it would have to be in downtown Bryan or maybe in that area by Veritas and such for grown ups to have late drinks.

But I've only lived here 6 months so could be wrong.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MiMi
S
I see that they're finally moving dirt at the corner of Arrington Rd and the Hwy 6 feeder road, next to the Primrose School. I wonder if Aggieland Credit Union is finally underway?

I hear that Embassy Suites may be building on University Dr - between Jane and Eisenhower (after razing the old Black-Eyed Pea and the building next door). Get ready for many FTR's since his royal highness works just across the street.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I think a mixology type place could make it in BCS but it would have to be in downtown Bryan or maybe in that area by Veritas and such for grown ups to have late drinks.

But I've only lived here 6 months so could be wrong.
One way to weed out the kids is to have higher prices. So, this may work.
PS3D
quote:
No way a place like that will make it in College Station. I like places like that once in awhile but I'm 30 years old. When I was in school I wanted cheap drinks to get me drunk. You have to wait for 10 minutes for each drink at a place like that and college students are not going to go for it.

I don't know, I was dubious of Blackwater Draw, and that's still a "draw", isn't it?
mAgnoliAg
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't know, I was dubious of Blackwater Draw, and that's still a "draw", isn't it?

Black water draw is good
PS3D
quote:
I see that they're finally moving dirt at the corner of Arrington Rd and the Hwy 6 feeder road, next to the Primrose School. I wonder if Aggieland Credit Union is finally underway?

I hear that Embassy Suites may be building on University Dr - between Jane and Eisenhower (after razing the old Black-Eyed Pea and the building next door). Get ready for many FTR's since his royal highness works just across the street.

That construction *may* be for Bush's Chicken, which filed for building in that area a month or so back.

As for Embassy Suites, they'd have to probably raze the entire block if they were building there.
PS3D
quote:
quote:
quote:

Black water draw is good

My point was people thinking that the "mixology" space wasn't going to work, and that I thought that it had a chance since BWD does okay on Northgate.
FlyRod
Blackwater Draw is opening a second location in downtown Bryan.
FlyRod
Only the Republic currently specializes in craft cocktails, and their bar is usually busy. This area can certainly use at least one more place that can actually make a good mixed drink. Cafe Eccell and Veritas occasionally come close.
FlyRod
Techno, the Republic used to get swamped by "kids" despite the high prices. The frat bros started to make things Hell for the staff. The owners (and I don't know how they did this) pretty much made it clear they weren't welcome and they went elsewhere. High prices weren't the obstacle you might think.
DBSwooper
quote:
Only the Republic currently specializes in craft cocktails, and their bar is usually busy. This area can certainly use at least one more place that can actually make a good mixed drink. Cafe Eccell and Veritas occasionally come close.
The Proudest Monkey mixes a good cocktail. Every time I go I'm happily surprised and chastise myself for not going more often.
aggielandcu
Mimi,

You are correct! We are getting closer to starting construction our new branch location and will have a ground breaking ceremony on July 23rd.
FlyRod
DBS my cocktail experience with the Monkey ended when Sprite made an appearance in a margarita. Unusual to say the least. Good beer though.
mAgnoliAg
AG
I love the proudest monkey. Guppy sweet potato fries and monkey sauce is to die for.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.