Bryan/College Station - Coming & Going, Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2015)

503,027 Views | 1377 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stewade
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My guess is they will expand outside Northgate given the success of Cafe Eccell 2.0.
FlyRod
PS3D why do you think that? The Backyard is doing pretty good business from what I can tell during my forays to Northgate and has established its own "brand."

Now think about downtown Bryan as a La Bodega 2.0...maybe where The Local was, or dare I say, the carcass of Los Nortenos?
Costa and Andreas
No way! Really humbled and pleased with Backyard. Can't believe it really. Plus no plans for a restaurant in Northgate.
FlyRod
Dang! Nailed that one a few posts ago!

TsunamiVox
MrsGDub04
AG
I keep telling my husband that it would be great if La Bodega would relocate in S. College Station. Was always one of our favorite restaurants. Would love them to add a kids menu though when they reopen!
texasaggie04
AG
Sorry if I'm repeating existing info.

Only saw one post about West End Elixir Co. It's located where Church Street BBQ used to be. Prohibition theme, nice staff. I hope it does well, but I fear it won't. Drinks are (in my opinion) a bit pricey (let's say $7-9 per cocktail) for college kids. And if I want to pay that much for a drink, I'm not going to fight Northgate traffic/parking to do it. I'll just go to the Republic. I wish they had opened that place up in Downtown Bryan instead.

There's also a new Stripes going in on S. College in Bryan, directly across from the Valero gas station. Maybe at the corner of College and Carson?
redd38
AG
That new stripes on south college seems like a weird location
AgsWin2011
AG
Too bad it's not a Bucees!
MsC2012
AG
That is so true about West End, we heard some bartenders at a Northgate bar say it should be in Downtown too! It's a very downtown-esque place!
FlyRod
West End is at a great location. It will attract not just students, but faculty and staff from TAMU and many of the health science folks...which is to say, people willing to spend a little money on something nice close to campus. Northgate has been pretty bereft of adult options, so its a good location IMO.

As for the prices, maybe I'm wrong, but the cocktails I've seen at The Republic generally run higher than $7-$9, so that seems like a really good deal. I understand though if that seems pricey for the student crowd.
jac4
AG
Brazos Valley Barbell is open. On Dominik near Blue Baker.
redd38
AG
http://icehouseonmain.com/
BrandoC
AG
If the backside of downtown Bryan wasn't right in the hood, it would expand.
Scotch
AG
Ever heard of gentrification?
carpe vinum
AG
Urban Renewal?
WildlifeAg02
The Post Oak Village Shopping center (with Leslie's Pool supplies and U-Paint-it) is getting a new restaurant: Yummi Yummi Mongolian Grill and Sushi.
FlyRod
Not a new business per se, but KBTX running story about CSCC voting on a food truck court this Thursday. As many as 10 food trucks could operate there. I don't see a downside to this, so I hope they approve it.
MiMi
S
quote:
I don't see a downside to this, so I hope they approve it.
P&Z already approved it. Having the city council approve it is merely a formality.
halibut sinclair
quote:
P&Z already approved it. Having the city council approve it is merely a formality.
That's not how it works.
AG
quote:
West End is at a great location. It will attract not just students, but faculty and staff from TAMU and many of the health science folks...which is to say, people willing to spend a little money on something nice close to campus. Northgate has been pretty bereft of adult options, so its a good location IMO.

As for the prices, maybe I'm wrong, but the cocktails I've seen at The Republic generally run higher than $7-$9, so that seems like a really good deal. I understand though if that seems pricey for the student crowd.
That's a pretty terrible location if you ask me, there is no parking and the last business in there failed. I really doubt faculty and Med students are going to go there just because its on the west end of Northgate.
FlyRod
They are already going there. I've been several times and its been quite busy, with a very mixed crowd age-wise.

No one seems to be complaining about the parking, though maybe when they get busier that will happen.
tb9665
What are they building by the post office in Bryan? Is it the car wash where they sign has been?
Scotch
AG
Haven't driven by lately, but a large apartment complex is in line to get built at Nash/Villa Maria/WJB.
FlyRod
Sign up for what appears to be an ice cream place (Molly's?) at the downtown Bryan location where The Local recently vacated.
PS3D
And the cycle begins anew...
Pale Rider
AG
New Laynes open yet? I don't see what the hold up is there.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
New Laynes open yet? I don't see what the hold up is there.

No. The liquor store next to them opened today. I'd bet Layne's has 3 more weeks to go.
redd38
AG
I thought Laynes was going to be open this week but I was wrong, it's next week.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
I thought Laynes was going to be open this week but I was wrong, it's next week.

Ahh ok. Next week. Last I checked it still looked like they had a ways to go.
redd38
AG
An employee told me they start work there next week. I suppose it could be training type stuff but I don't think so.
fcag
AG
Eskimo Hut has their signage up.
Tailgate88
AG
So what happened with the vote on the food truck park? I missed the outcome.
carpe vinum
AG
it passed. there will be one in north gate and one in south college station somewhere.
Tailgate88
AG
Thanks!

Next time please try to respond s little quicker. ;-)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.