Bryan/College Station - Coming & Going, Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2015)

503,031 Views | 1377 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stewade
dyhrdag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So I can drill my own water well inside city limits to water my golf course, cool, your brilliant!
FlyRod
Talk to realtors. Our housing market is on fire. Older homes close to TAMU at lower prices are going to be very coveted properties soon. Wealthy retirees and foreigners (this is from a realtor friend of mine who only deals in high end properties) are gobbling up housing like obese people at the Golden Corrall. Nowhere to go but up. I'm not suggesting this is a healthy trend, FWIW.
EBrazosAg
AG
As long as you are not wasting water, yes, you can. Just like you can drill for oil, but you can waste that all you want. Water wells require a permit from the GWCD that you are drilling in. They consider the use, the need and the reservoir size in the aquifer one is drilling in. Since the BV is going to be shipping water to San Antonio very soon, you should probably direct your conservation activities elsewhere.

In addition, I very much doubt the CoB will do poorly with a subdivision pricing homes averaging $375k. That's not the upper range in this area by far, and other places in Bryan with houses in that range, like Park Meadow along Copperfield Dr., are built out with a healthy resale market.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PS3D
Perrine Winery is moving to North Dowling near NRBC and the distillery.
motherrunnersBCS
Lanna Thai replaced with Korean/Japanese BBQ, as per sign going up Saturday.
FlyRod
Something called Yummi Yummi Mongolian BBQ and Sushi opens in two weeks on Harvey Rd in same strip as Perrine Winery. Given that Mongolia is landlocked, curious what they mean by "sushi"...
techno-ag
AG
Hopefully it's the same as the Yummi Yummi in Huntsville. Great place.
halibut sinclair
yummy
halibut sinclair
quote:
Hopefully it's the same as the Yummi Yummi in Huntsville. Great place.
Incorrect. It's "Yummy Yummy".

http://www.yummyyummyhuntsville.com/
meezermom
I'm curious about Yummi Yummi, too. But I'm pretty sure the sign is spelled Yummi Yummi and not Yummy Yummy -- so perhaps not part of the same chain?
Scruffy
AG
Maybe it's like McDowells.
FlyRod
Was Rowell McDowell the spokes-clown?
Scruffy
AG
Look... me and the McDonald's people got this little misunderstanding. See, they're McDonald's... I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.
rmarshall2014
AG
The Yummy Yummy in Huntsville is great! I bet it's the same place, they already have one in Conroe. It's kind of like Gengis Grill, but they have pretty good sushi too
meezermom
Never been to Genghis Grill, but if Yummy Yummy (or Yummi Yummi) has sushi, I'm bound to end up there at some point!
MiMi
S
Fastrackids and the Gift Box have opened in Towerpoint. They're in the strip building between Massage Envy and Little Caesars.

Future growth in Towerpoint include Golds Gym and PetSmart.
motherrunnersBCS
Master Yakiniku is the name of the restaurant replacing Lanna Thai. Japanese style Korean BBQ, which I assume means you grill your own at the table.
dgonzo99
It appears that the new Aldi Supermarket is going take over the Village Foods store on Briarcrest.
halibut sinclair
Blackwater Draw tasting room in downtown Bryan opens tomorrow, Dec. 3.
PS3D
quote:
It appears that the new Aldi Supermarket is going take over the Village Foods store on Briarcrest.

Wait, what?
FlyRod
Halibut, shhhhh! You just alerted his Bloviating Majesty of the Yelpoverse to this!

dgonzo99
quote:
quote:

Wait, what?
http://docs.bryantx.gov/planning_development/SDRC/2015%20SDRC/12-8-2015/SP15-67,%20Aldi,%2012-8-2015.pdf
Pyewacket
AG
quote:
Back up the Bus!! Is Jim Lewis selling? Will Jim the pharmacist still be there. VF is my store. I thought they did a brisk business. Do we like Aldi? I am now questioning my place in the universe.
PS3D
quote:
quote:
Back up the Bus!! Is Jim Lewis selling? Will Jim the pharmacist still be there. VF is my store. I thought they did a brisk business. Do we like Aldi? I am now questioning my place in the universe.
I doubt anyone would still be there since Aldi stores rarely go past 20,000 square feet (looking up on Google, it looks like 15,000 square feet is the average), so unless they're going for some sort of experimental Aldi superstore, they won't use up the space.

Village Foods was never that popular, probably the lowest volume supermarket in town. I worked there a few years ago, and while we would be dead, the H-E-B at Villa Maria was packed. The store suffered tremendously when the Briarcrest construction cut off their main entrance, leaving that awkward dual entrance between the office tower and the store parking lot.

Based on the area's demographics and the local customers that shopped at VF, Aldi is a much better choice for that location.

Other factors that probably didn't do VF any favors was the Walmart Neighborhood Market opening up (also, a better fit for the area than the Albertsons) and the fact that the product mix Village Foods offered (like GF items) went mainstream and could be found in other supermarkets.
OnlyANobody
Crucify me for saying it, but I hate Aldi. I like getting house brands when names don't matter to me, but when they do matter, I want the name brand. I have easier access to an Aldi, yet choose WalMart Supercenter over it, when visiting my home town; and I really don't care for WalMart Supercenters.
mgreen
Aldi wwas a client of mine years ago. Very unique business plan. Bare bones basics and nothing else.
BlueMiles
AG
Oh man.
ThunderCatsHOOOO!
Anyone have any info about the taco place opening behind the Laynes on Welborn? Saw the new signage yesterday.
momlaw
AG
I love Village Foods. This makes me sad. Is there a known timeframe?
K2T2
Booooooooo. I'll miss the great vegetarian and vegan options at Village. I'm sad. Guess I gotta stock up on all that Field Roast before they close.
RustyShackelford
quote:
Perrine Winery is moving to North Dowling near NRBC and the distillery.
Expanding, not moving. The tasting room and winery on Harvey will remain open for the near future.
UmustBKidding
We had the bare bones, no shelves grocery store in Jewel-T at Rosemary and Tx many years ago. Hopefully Aldi quality is better.
Chris98
AG
Aldi reminds me of the old Food 4 Less that was in Manor East Mall
C XX I
Going - Silk Stocking
Kate Beckett
AG
What? The Dirty Sock is leaving town? Now how will college girls get that extra money to put them through school?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.