Bryan/College Station - Coming & Going, Retail, Restaurants, Businesses, etc (2015)

502,324 Views | 1377 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Stewade
Ronnie Gardocki
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anybody know when Marco's Pizza on Graham road in CS is opening? I noticed they've done a lot of work recently to the outside of the building.
jja79
AG
Never been to Marco's but one opened near me in Spring and lasted about 2 months.
AggiePhil
AG
I'm told the grand opening will be January 18.
Ronnie Gardocki
Thank you.
eloc62
quote:
Does anybody know when Marco's Pizza on Graham road in CS is opening? I noticed they've done a lot of work recently to the outside of the building.
seems like a really tough market here to bring in a pizza place with 1 location unless you have a very, very good pie. good luck to them. I'll give em a chance. I'm always willing to try a new pizza! still waiting for Papa Murphy's to move to College Station!
Ronnie Gardocki
I don't disagree. I was just wondering when they were opening.
BMo
I read in the OP that Baymont Inn had opened? When? It said 10-23 I believe but I thought they had still been working on it. Can't find it listed through google. TIA
FlyRod
Saw the Big Daddy Z's food truck over at Notes & Quotes this afternoon while driving to lunch. Had heard about it coming here for some time, but first I'd actually seen it.
waterchick
Baymont Inn & Suites is not open. I drive past it every day and they're still working on it.

Marco's Pizza Grand Opening is Sunday 1/18 2-5 pm.
BMo
Thanks egret.

MiMi
S
quote:
Saw the Big Daddy Z's food truck over at Notes & Quotes this afternoon while driving to lunch. Had heard about it coming here for some time, but first I'd actually seen it.

It's been open since October 17. You can check out their locations on their Facebook page.
FlyRod
Sorry I didn't see an FTR from His Exalted Highness so I had no idea.
Fletch_F_Fletch
AG
quote:

seems like a really tough market here to bring in a pizza place with 1 location unless you have a very, very good pie.

Antonio's, Hungry Howie's, Leaning Tower, Gumby's...
FlyRod
Leaning Tower didn't make it. Primo had a "very, very good pie" and it didn't make it either.

OTOH restaurants with good pizzas--Napa Flats, Amico Nave, Luigi's, Fritella--all seem to be doing very very well.
originaltexan
A good pizza place will be beyond busy if done right.

There must be great difficulty to have solely a pizza place with tables and chairs. Visit a place like Star or Fuzzy's in Houston, and you will see 20 minute waits to get a table.

Mellow Mushroom is around TX. Expensive, but delicious. Star...yum...

The ingredients have to be good and fresh. People won't return if they are paying $18 for something that tastes slightly better than frozen.
AggiePhil
AG
Pie Society in San Marcos is awesome. I'm surprised there isn't a place like that in CS. I guess Antonio's would be the closest thing but their location is tough. I know I haven't eaten there in years.
K2T2
Star is my favorite place in the whole wide world.
texasaggie04
AG
The sign out front of Schotzi's says that Schotzi's is closed. Not sure if this is temporary for the break or more permanent. Anybody?

Is it Joe's Crab Shack that might be going in at Boston's or Razzoo's? I had heard the latter.
PS3D
Last semester, supposedly they changed hands and names. I can't remember the new owners, but they repainted the building gray. Might be continued transition.
nashvilleaggie11
Schotzis used to be cool but now it just sucks. I've never seen more than 3 people in there.
waterchick
I saw on Facebook tonight that Grateful Dog is closing. The owners are moving back to Dallas to be closer to family. They're open for baths & goodbyes this Fri -Sun and next Sat-Sun.

The Children's Museum is having its Grand Opening this Saturday. Free admission! They're also open Sunday afternoon (but just this weekend).
PS3D
I've never understood the concept of Grateful Dog. Sure, the whole shampoos and hoses thing sounds like they do a good job, but you'd have to load your dirty dog into the car to the shop. Unless they did house calls, of course.
Birddog
AG
Sorry if this a repeat but, I saw that there is a Panda Express on the frontage road in front of the new Bryan Wal-Mart, and it has a drive thru.
redchapterjubilee
K2T2 is right. Star Pizza is the bee's knees for sure.

It does seem odd to me that we can't support a good pizza place. Even my rinky-dink hometown in Kentucky is getting a Mellow Mushroom. If that town can support one, then it seems our towns here should be able to support that kind of pizzeria.
CEAg78
AG
Oh no! Grateful Dog is closing! We love that service and those folks.
Scotch
AG
Anyone hear about a new HEB on Harvey Mitchell in CS, possibly near Holleman?
PS3D
The HEB at Holleman will renovate this summer, but I've been told by reps from both companies that no new stores will be opened in the next 5-7 years.

Edit: both HEB and Kroger
dgonzo99
That's what I have heard too. I don't think we could handle another grocery store. At one time somebody with HEB said that they were looking at West Bryan, but with the opening of Walmart that will not happen for a long time.
PS3D
quote:
That's what I have heard too. I don't think we could handle another grocery store. At one time somebody with HEB said that they were looking at West Bryan, but with the opening of Walmart that will not happen for a long time.
I think we could see more grocery stores, just not Kroger or HEB. If a Costco or Whole Foods ever opens (we could see one or the other in the next 5 years), that will alter the market share dynamics. I wouldn't be surprised if a Walmart Neighborhood Market tried to open in south College Station, in fact.
FlyRod
A Trader Joe's would clean up here...not sure why they haven;t opened one yet. With more growth and money pouring into the are, I remain surprised that the higher end grocery stores haven't set up yet.
PS3D
Atlas mentioned a ~30k square foot grocery in its plans...
dgonzo99
quote:
Atlas mentioned a ~30k square foot grocery in its plans...
Maybe that is the Sprouts that cancelled the deal to move next door to PetSmart. That is about the size of their stores.
carolinaag1
AG
I thought trader jones was part of the atlas project in traditions
eloc62
i wonder if people here would shop at a higher end grocery store enough to keep it open, or stick to the HEB and Kroger?
dgonzo99
quote:
I thought trader jones was part of the atlas project in traditionsh
Trader Joe's would certainly fit in The Woodlands feel that the Atlas project will have. eloc62, it has been shown that peoples's shopping habits are sometimes extremely difficult to change. However, Trader Joe's would probably do well in that spot. The Legacy apartments that are already there are geared to young urban professionals. Trader's would be within walking distance to The Legacy and the other high end apartments that will be built there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.