Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

108,717 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
LEJ
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Saw 10 lions, maybe 13... could have been overlap. Screen shot here from video. One guy saw a lion attack a bull elk and we all watched the 3 lions engage it at close quarters. Bull was bleeding and limping but they kinda gave up as light faded. Tons of deer, elk and good number moose. Game all kinda concentrated this time of year migrating back to higher elevations.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
That is awesome.
FrontPorchAg
Let me know if y'all are going to be looking for lodging. I'm thinking about renting my house out during the hunting season. If the dates work I'll make y'all a deal.

2 bed 1 bath on 22 acres with barn and loafing sheds. Backs up to elk unit 84 and deer unit 152
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
chocolatelabs
AG
KatyAg01 said:

Has anyone here hunted pronghorn in New Mexico on private land without an outfitter? If so, did you find the landowner through the New Mexico G&F website, or some other way?

My dad and I are considering a DIY hunt this fall, and would prefer either the Texas Panhandle or New Mexico (planning on driving, so Wyoming is out).

Thanks

TP&W will our our a list of dancers wanting to sell tags.

You can call them and find one for sale. They range in price from $1000 to $2500.

Make a bunch of calls and you can maybe find a tag.

May be more cost effective than NM.
Log
AG
chocolatelabs said:

KatyAg01 said:

Has anyone here hunted pronghorn in New Mexico on private land without an outfitter? If so, did you find the landowner through the New Mexico G&F website, or some other way?

My dad and I are considering a DIY hunt this fall, and would prefer either the Texas Panhandle or New Mexico (planning on driving, so Wyoming is out).

Thanks

TP&W will our put our out a list of dancers ranchers wanting to sell tags.

You can call them and find one for sale. They range in price from $1000 to $2500.

The list is usually issued in the late July/August timeframe. You can find it on the TPWD website. I've done really well with the tags I've got the last few years. Got skunked two years since I was staring at antelope across the fence that I didn't have permission to hunt. That's the only problem. These tend to be smaller acreages, 1-2 sections, and the antelope may not be on the property, or you have to sit for several days to wait them out.
AgEng06
AG

No wonder I couldn't find any dancers on the TPWD website...
chocolatelabs
AG
Damn phone. Thanks log
LEJ
We had a Great experience in the Jim Bridger NF, near Alpine, WY. Spotted 100s of elk and deer, a good number of moose, double digits of lions and enough bears to come home with a good one.

I was the only one of the 5 in the group to actually spot a bear... 3 separate sightings over 3 days, 2 different bears.

Unfortunately, I got bear fever, pulled the shot, and missed a beauty of a modest sized cinnamon bear, likely a sow due to spotting her in the same canyon as 1593, this big boar that my huntin buddy made a perfect shot on.

You're not required to take bear meat in Wyoming (at least during spring season for sure), but we packed out all 4 quarters, the backstraps, and the neck trim of this 10yo brute. The locals and even the Game Warden seemed to find that amusing.

After I had seen 2 bears 2 days in a row, it didn't take much convincing to get a couple of the guys who weren't seeing bears to join me in "Bear Canyon".

I had been prowling around the area for the previous 2 days, so I set 2 of the guys up to glass specific spots while I kept hiking an old 2 track farther into the canyon.

The road was up high enough to get good views, through mostly tight windows, of the other side.

I had just left the eventual shooter at a spot and walked about 75 yards away from him down the 2 track when I spotted 1593 for the 2nd time in 3 days.

I don't know exactly what came over me in the moment. I could have gotten into position and taken the shot, but once I spotted him I quickly ran towards my huntin buddy and let him know what was up.

It was a thing of beauty. He got his rifle set up on a pack in the snow and we were both getting ranges and trying to figure out how to get a shot through a tiny window before the boar disappeared. I have never really experienced such a team effort in Western Hunting.

Anyway, he made a great shot. I saw the boar react through my binos and drop down low before he ran out of our FOV.

I volunteered to go track him while he went to get our other buddy. After falling cheek deep in the creek, I got on the blood trail quickly and found the boar piled up in thick pines 25 y away.

The shot rang out at 7:36pm. 3 of us packed out the hide and most of the meat that nite. Got to bed around 3am next morning

KatyAg01
AG
Log said:

chocolatelabs said:

KatyAg01 said:

Thanks

TP&W will our put our out a list of dancers ranchers wanting to sell tags.

The list is usually issued in the late July/August timeframe. You can find it on the TPWD website. I've done really well with the tags I've got the last few years. Got skunked two years since I was staring at antelope across the fence that I didn't have permission to hunt. That's the only problem. These tend to be smaller acreages, 1-2 sections, and the antelope may not be on the property, or you have to sit for several days to wait them out.
Thanks to both of you for the replies. I've seen the TP&W list before, but was skeptical as to how useful it could be given that there were so many landowners listing. Good to know that it is possible to be successful going that route. I'll be calling around when the 2020 list is posted for sure.
agenjake
That's freaking awesome. Great trip.
Log
AG
Last years. Biggest yet.
cupofjoe04
AG
Nice, congrats brother! Thanks for sharing
cupofjoe04
AG
Nice goat! Love the curls at the top. Hard to tell from that pic, but looks like he has nice mass too.
AgEng06
AG
Awesome trip, bud. Nice work!
chocolatelabs
AG
BurrOak
AG
Well done!

How is the bear meat?
LEJ
Looks good. Smells good. Gonna grind some up this week and give it a try.
lazuras_dc
AG
Some bear steaks, medium rare?
BullSprig07
AG
Then wait for a nice visit from Uncle Trich
LEJ
I'm a gd bear hunter! I fear nothing! I don't like poison oak, but other than that and maybe black widows and rattlesnakes and scorpions coming up through the shower drain... NoThing!
BQ_2010
AG
Aggie Hunter said:

Shoot me a private message I know some guys that live in that area.

Hey Aggie Hunter, I cant DM. Mind emailing me at username @ yahoo . com?

AgEng06
AG
So Colorado secondary draw lists come out June 5th. That should mean the first draw results should be out by then, no?
LEJ
GTFO of here with your fancy mathematical OoO and stuff.

Also, Wyoming points deadline is June 1 I believe
BullSprig07
AG
Wyoming points deadline is not until October Oct 31

The deer, antelope and resident elk draw deadline is June 1st however
LEJ
I stand erected.
agenjake
Starting last year, Wyoming changed it so that non-resident can't buy points until after results come out. No more buying 1 point with your first draw.
agenjake
agenjake
agenjake
Aggie Hunter
AG
Dang we heard your the first time!!!!! 4 times is a little much.

Just kidding!!!
LEJ
Man, I wonder why they did that? We need an Eng, stat. You got some splaining.
agenjake
Well ****, I am used to two elementary schoolers not hearing me the first 3 times.
AgEng06
AG
Man, I can't wait for hunting season so I don't have to go to page 3 to find this thread...

I'm guessing Wednesday, 6/3 for CO draw results. Last year it was Wednesday, 6/5, and if they expect to have the secondary list up on 6/5 this year, they are going to need the draw done a few days before.
agenjake
Wyoming non-res deer and antelope applications due today.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.