Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

106,763 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
BullSprig07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
me waiting for the Colorado leftover tag list to drop tomorrow

CTGilley
AG
Another CO 1st rifle tag for me. Hit the CC but not on the site yet.
Post removed:
by user
AgEng06
AG
The only indication I have so far is the CC hit, nothing on CPW website. If I were you, I'd have reset that password along time ago.
cupofjoe04
AG
Some CO elk landowner tags have been notified. A few friends found out what they were issued yesterday
AgEng06
AG
Yeah, I have gotten the email and point deduct now. It's official.
AgDad121619
AG
Debit hit last night - email acknowledgement hit my inbox at 2:30 today
cc_ag92
AG
Email conformation came this afternoon. Game on!!
LEJ
My CID account says accepted, so I'll be back in 77 archery elk for the 6th straight year and 7th overall.

Endeavor to Persevere.
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

My CID account says accepted, so I'll be back in 77 archery elk for the 6th straight year and 7th overall.

Endeavor to Persevere.

Gotta be your year this year!!!!

Curious if you had to burn points? Gonna be interesting to see what it took to draw this year, since they seemed to issue those tags pretty liberally.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Email for elk confirming preference point. Nothing on pronghorn tag... or preference points for bighorn and mule deer
AgEng06
AG
I got my deer PP email yesterday at 12:30pm and my CPW acct updated to add the point. Might be worth checking in on that one...
Post removed:
by user
BullSprig07
AG
AgEng06 said:

I got my deer PP email yesterday at 12:30pm and my CPW acct updated to add the point. Might be worth checking in on that one...

Roger that, received my deer point yesterday as well
AG_2006
AG
CO newbie question...I need to read the CO annual/guide again.

I put in for first pick "preference point" and was awarded my second pick of unit 74 archery. My goal was mainly to start acquiring points to build for a more desirable unit later.

Did I achieve the goal and get a pref point? Or do I not have a preference point now?

Thanks for your help.
AgEng06
AG
Yes, if you drew with your 2nd choice, you will be assigned a PP for your first choice.
Richard Trickle
AG
Went 4 for 4 in CO draw. Muzzleloader elk, bear and pronghorn. 3rd rifle mule deer.
cupofjoe04
AG
Richard Trickle said:

Went 4 for 4 in CO draw. Muzzleloader elk, bear and pronghorn. 3rd rifle mule deer.

Get after is son!!! Congrats

I had a year like that a couple years ago. It was epic! I'm still tired...
Richard Trickle
AG
Thanks man! So this is my first time ever putting in for the CO draw. Became a resident last year. Have to give all the credit to stdeb11 on where to apply. We'll be running around the Sangre de Cristos in September.
agenjake
Man, it's hot in South Texas today. Wish I was at about 7000' right now.
cupofjoe04
AG
agenjake said:

Man, it's hot in South Texas today. Wish I was at about 7000' right now.

We are a little shy of 7,500', and I think we *might* have hit 73-74 today. Supposed to have highs in the mid-upper 60's the next few days...
agenjake
You have clearly made good life choices.
cupofjoe04
AG
agenjake said:

You have clearly made good life choices.

Appreciate the vote of confidence.

But if you knew me, you would know I am who/what/where I am in spite of my many poor choices. When God says He uses the weak and foolish... he means it!
cupofjoe04
AG
Man, I'm on cloud 9 over here, living the blessed life!

Just got confirmation that my Dad, Bro-In-Law, and I got 3 tags to hunt near the Great Sand Dunes National Park! We were so lucky to get 1 bull and 2 cow tags (were just expecting cows)!!! They are LO Tags, so we just have to figure out who shoots what... I'm REALLY hoping to get my Dad his first good bull, but he will probably pull the same crap he always does and try to get me to shoot it. I'm perfectly happy with a freezer full of cow, and a picture with my Dad and his monster bull! We've got a few months to fight about it- but we need to get it settled before the hunt starts. Can't have a repeat of the 370" bull we missed in the Gila's a couple years ago...

This will be a truly unique opportunity- to hunt herds of elk in the lowland grass, brush, and juniper breaks between the National Forest and the Great Sand Dunes (where I've seen them cross like herds ofcamels). We also have access to some pretty gnarly and secluded drainages and peaks if needed- but we will be hoping to catch them coming down.

Also- we found out our tags are prime rut in September. Sneaking in on herds in open terrain will be tough enough to get a couple hundred yards away... but maybe the screaming bulls will be a great distraction. This is going to be an awesome challenge!

I went all in on this opportunity this year, and just got PP's for everything else, and I so happy it worked out! Man, I can't WAIT for Sept!!! Gotta loose some of this COVID weight, and get this torn meniscus in my knee rehabbed. The hills are calling
AgLA06
AG
I thought left over tags for Colorado haven't been published yet?
cupofjoe04
AG
Sorry- land owner, not left over. I'm just lucky to be in good graces with guys who owe each other bigger favors than I could ever afford.
AgLA06
AG
Congrats. You scared me for a second.
cupofjoe04
Richard Trickle
AG
Awesome and congrats! Always better when family is involved.

Will be in the mountains above the sand dunes during archery and muzzleloader season in September and doing some scouting in July. Maybe our groups can meet up and grab some beers
cupofjoe04
AG
That will be fun. Some great country up there for sure! I hiked Crestone once, it was challenging and fun. Trail started at around 9,900' I think, and topped out just shy of 14,300'. Saw a couple really great muley bucks on that late summer trip.

We will down closer to Zapata, where the saddle is 11,750'ish. Though we might be hunting in the sand as much as in the timber. Might have to meet up in Alamos or something if our schedules align
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
2 buddies and I drew elk 1st rifle for the unit I usually hunt in the front range. Now I need to be sure and get one of those NR OTC bear tags as soon as they come out this year, they sold out quick last year!
agenjake
Wyoming nonresident deer and antelope results should be available tomorrow (18th) at 10 AM mountain time. Resident elk, deer, and antelope results should also be available then.

harge57
AG
Mtn_Guide said:

Let me know if y'all are going to be looking for lodging. I'm thinking about renting my house out during the hunting season. If the dates work I'll make y'all a deal.

2 bed 1 bath on 22 acres with barn and loafing sheds. Backs up to elk unit 84 and deer unit 152
What is your contact info? Would like to get more info.
AgEng06
AG
Hey guys, I need some recs/ideas on sleeping systems for CO archery elk scouting/hunting. My current sleeping bag is a 15 degree mummy because my Western hunts have taken place in October and January, but this year I will be scouting in late August and hunting mid-September around 10-12k feet in SW Colorado. I have a Cabela's 2-person tent that should work well.

First, what kind of temps/weather can we expect and second, can anyone recommend a lightweight sleeping bag, quilt, or other system that would be sufficient. My wife will be joining me on the scouting trip, so the idea of a quilt/blanket rather than 2 sleeping bags is intriguing.

Thanks!
stdeb11
AG
Last year was fairly mild (at least where I was). Usually get some snow sometime in mid Sept. Temps could be 80 during the day all the way down to low 20s at night...

The past few years I've gotten by with a Sea to Summit 30 degree bag and a liner. But I've gotten a little chilly a couple times... Upgraded to a Marmot Helium 15deg bag I'll run this year. My buddy has one and I've been jealous the past couple years of that bag.

Interested in any quilt info people have too..

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.