Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,600 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
shaynew1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgEng06 said:

I do.

There's no need to throw that kind of shade
AgEng06
AG
Definitely not my intent. He asked... (and he already knew the answer, so it wasn't a "gotcha")
shaynew1
AG
O I know.

Which is what made it funny to me
LEJ
This is not a safe space.
shaynew1
AG
Gabriella Miriam was born today and is going to arrow many things in the mountains.
agingcowboy
AG
Nice work. Congrats!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Gabriella Miriam was born today and is going to arrow many things in the mountains.

Congrats brother!!!
stdeb11
AG
Congrats man!
AgEng06
AG
Congrats man!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Congratulations!

You either got really lucky or planned the birthdate perfectly. By the time hunting season rolls around, baby should be sleeping through the night and a little easier to deal with.
LEJ
Congrats! Now might be a good time to sneak in a couple gear purchases. I'm just sayin.
yemtig
AG
LEJ said:

Congrats! Now might be a good time to sneak in a couple gear purchases. I'm just sayin.
I second that! Never can have too much gear. Congrats!
shaynew1
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Congratulations!

You either got really lucky or planned the birthdate perfectly. By the time hunting season rolls around, baby should be sleeping through the night and a little easier to deal with.

My life is basically the scene in a river runs through it where the dad pulls out the dinosaur and says "it's just he's been particularly good to me"
Log
AG
shaynew1 said:

I'm still struggling to find an appropriate way to mount my two sex trophies on the wall.
BradMtn346
shaynew1 said:

Congrats sir. My daughter is the second best shot in our family. They are a lot of fun.
shaynew1
AG
Log said:

shaynew1 said:

I'm still struggling to find an appropriate way to mount my two sex trophies on the wall.

I'm in agriculture so I intend to leverage the free labor into a bigger hunting budget
arrow
AG
shaynew1 said:

Congrats!
LEJ
Deadline for Wyoming is today. Not part of my plan. Stickin to the plan.

Who's in for Wyoming?
BullSprig07
AG
points only in WY for me this year (which isn't due until later this Summer)
harge57
AG
I ended up applying in WY for the general. I only have 2 points but my brother has 3. Ended up applying separate so we would have a guaranteed tag as I don't think 2.5 points is a sure thing this year.

If i don't draw elk I will likely do the special draw for deer to get a region H tag.
stdeb11
AG
CO Spring Turkey apps are due tomorrow at 8 pm! Fingers crossed I'll draw this time!

Gobble gobble!

cupofjoe04
AG
Done. Just putting in for points. Always hunt OTC near Pagosa, but figured I can build points to double up some day
stdeb11
AG
Nice! One good thing about turkeys is you can get two points a year (fall and spring draws). Quite a few good hunts for 2-5points too although they'd be a bit of a haul for you.
Alta
AG
Officially booked for a elk/mule deer hunt in the Frank Church late October. Let the training begin!
LEJ
Turkey pop around there seems to be doing well. Seen birds in places over the last 2 years where I never have before.
LEJ
https://mtntough.com

I'm probably never dropping the coin on the pay to play program but there are free workouts on this site which I've used with great results. I posted the "Heavy Pack Workout" on a previous Western States thread. The site is showing an HP 2.0, which I haven't looked at yet.

FWIW, I know a guy who subscribed to the program and he said it was worth it.

I drive past a couple gyms to get to the biggest hill near me and am doing my own modified version of the original HP workout.
Ive been doing 45 minutes for a couple weeks now, just getting back to it.

Never been a big work out fiend but I'm convinced that fitness is almost more important than shooting practice. Actually, I train as if it's more important, which I guess I do believe tbh.

I've kept a log in the past and instead of
blowing off a 45-60 minute workout that I didn't have time for, I'd do a super modified 15 minute workout. You have to keep at it, even if it seems insignificant.
Alta
AG
thanks!
Alta
AG
Anybody use a Stone Glacier Avail 2200 or Kiowa 3200? I'm looking to get a pack for my hunt (which will be with an outfitter) in late October in Idaho and curious if the Avail looks big enough?
AgEng06
AG
LEJ is our Stone Glacier guy, so hopefully he'll be along soon to provide some help.

On the other hand, if you want to talk about Exo Mountain packs, just let me know...
aggie0959
Love my exo k2 3500. There are guys selling them on Facebook exo group.
cupofjoe04
AG
stdeb11 said:

Nice! One good thing about turkeys is you can get two points a year (fall and spring draws). Quite a few good hunts for 2-5points too although they'd be a bit of a haul for you.

I never mind a haul for a new adventure! I wish I would have know a few years ago. Been just hunting OTC the last couple of years- never knew there was a need for points. I could have 5 points this year instead of 1.
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

Turkey pop around there seems to be doing well. Seen birds in places over the last 2 years where I never have before.

Yeah, I think they are doing well. Was a little crowded last year opening weekend, but other than that plenty of birds to go around for those willing to hunt them.

I think we are planning our big annual turkey hunting/discipleship weekend April 23-26, if anyone is interested they can hit me up for deets.
LEJ
BurrOak has one too. I think we both have the same frame and pack.

I've got the SG Krux Evo frame with the Evo 40/56 bag, plus 2 belt pouches, guide lid and hydro holster. I also use the load cell dry bag, no exterior cover.

I ran into 2 big ol boys from Oklahoma on the mountain last year. When they asked me how I liked the setup I challenged them to a knife fight over it. They chuckled and declined. We went our separate ways.

shaynew1
AG
Whatever you do don't buy a kifaru
Alta
AG
Think I'm going to go with the SG Kiowa 3200. Figure I can always compress it down if it's too much space.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.