Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,622 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
BullSprig07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
agenjake said:

I'm a high straight in Plainview, a side bet in Idalou, and a fresh deck in New Deal...

Just listened to that driving into Amarillo
agenjake
We probably crossed paths. Made it to WY last night. Going to check zero on rifles and get camp set up today, then hit it hard starting tomorrow.
mneisch
AG
Anyone having luck during Colorado first rifle?
agingcowboy
AG
We hunted 62 and got a decent bull. I'll write up and include some pics here once I've recovered!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mneisch
AG
We need the story on this one!
arrow
AG
Work isn't real happy about how much time I took to kill that deer and elk. I do plan a short write up.
AgLA06
AG
I'm at that point of apprehension. I'm verifying zero on my rifle this afternoon. All my gear is in a tub in my bedroom. Everything on my pack list is ready to go. All that's left is to get it in my pack.

I'm just stressed. I'm not physically ready for this hunt as I wasn't planning on going 3 months ago until a TexAger talked me into it. It's hard enough to leave for 10 days in a corporate gig. It's really hard when your managing a small start up family business. Especially during 2020 and Covid.

I know once we park at the trailhead all the apprehension and stress will go away and it will be the best experience of being one can experience in nature, like it always is. The last week to get there is just hell. All the posts of early season trips have been great. Keep them coming!

Now to just get Judson a bull.
AgEng06
AG
Just know that all of us at home wish we were out there... so enjoy it, regardless of what's going on at work.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Congratulations!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
All of that stuff will go away the second you hit the trailhead! Enjoy the hunt
lazuras_dc
AG
I've been sleeping like hell the last week, curious if its all the same stuff you're experiencing as far as stress of leaving family and small business in this time. Either way I'm super pumped and we head out to Pagosa next Wednesday.

I also had questions on my fitness as I feel like I haven't gone super hard. But I also feel like I'm in better shape than my hunt last year by certain metrics and this year we're doing horses and wall tent camping with an outfitter versus last year we packed in all our gear and it was miserably cold.

Cheers! Let's do it!
arrow
AG
Good luck guys. It's always worth it to go hunting in the mountains.
mneisch
AG
Weather is so far looking to be much more agreeable compared to last year, at least for second rifle season. I'm getting antsy! All my stuff is packed up in tubs in the guest room and still getting in some 3-4 mile hikes with weight to maintain my fitness.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Struck out this year. No elk, no bear. Weather was amazing except for Sunday night when we got like 5" of snow. Then it stayed pretty windy after that. Maybe the wind scrood us. Got after it harder than i ever have, combed every branch of a valley I've never hunted before but seemed super elky, but apparently they cleared out last week. 24hrs after the snow we absolutely combed a valley that has always been covered with elk tracks in the past and nothing. Really disappointing because i felt more prepared, fit, and like everything was going more smoothly than a western hunt or backpacking trip ever has. I guess it be like that sometimes
AgLA06
AG
That sucks man. If the elk aren't there, it doesn't matter what you do.

Only option is to go somewhere else where the elk are.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Yeah that's why we went over the pass Monday afternoon to try the other valley, then when that didn't pan out we were going to day hunt a totally different area a couple hundred feet lower on wednesday, but we pulled up to the trailhead and my buddy's radiator sprung a leak, so we took that as a sign it was time to pack up and head home
agenjake
Been tough sledding in SE Wyoming so far. Only 1 antelope and no mulies for 3 guys in 5 1/2 days. 2 1/2 days to go. Weather has changed daily.

But my God is this country beautiful.
aggie0959
Smoking some elk jerky to take for rifle 2.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Interesting technique. Vanilla or lavender jerky? Or is your candle something manly like tobacco or leather?
aggie0959
Frozen sugar cookies
Aggie_3
Loving the forecast for opening day of rifle season in Montana for where we will be hunting
lazuras_dc
AG
Supposed to snow on us 2 days into Rifle two GMU77 colorado. Fun times.
AgLA06
AG
We'll be an hour away and 2k-3k feet higher (so 10-15 cooler). Love that the front is coming through the second day of the season.
AgEng06
AG
So, I owe the thread a hunt recap....

My buddy, Sam, and I hunted outside of Pagosa Springs, CO this year for our first archery elk hunt. As always, I had done months of e-scouting and researching, but got lots of invaluable information from our board Pagosa resident, cupofjoe04 (as well as this thread's OP, LEJ - may the username RIP). A special THANK YOU to both of those guys for their help.

We got "lucky" in that we arrived at our chosen area right after the snow storm came through CO and Northern NM, so lots of hunters had cleared out from the area. We arrived on Thursday afternoon and set up our pop-up camper in a light rain/drizzle and cooler temperatures.

The next morning we set out just before daylight, hunting along a trail with the ultimate goal of getting to a basin that I really liked and wanted to hunt (spoiler alert: I was right about this basin ). Along the way we threw out a few location bugles, but got no responses.

Around 11:00 am we stopped to take a little break and heard what sounded like a terrible, lazy bugle. We called back, and exchanged a couple bugles with this bull over the next 30 minutes or so, but ultimately decided to sit down and have lunch. From what we could tell, he was on a ridge 400-500 yards away across a really steep drainage from us. In order to get over there we would have to go up and around the top of the ridge/drainage. After lunch, we hiked around the top of the drainage and got on the ridge where we had heard the bull earlier. During this hike through the downfall and snow, I saw my first wild black bear as well. He was feeding through the deadfall about 100 yards away from us, and I don't think he ever knew we were there.

The view at lunch. The bull in question is on the closest ridge out in front of us.

When we get to the ridge, we look over the other side and into a huge meadow and spot a couple cows and, ultimately, a herd bull with them. The bull was bedded in the sun, and the cows were in various stages of bedding/feeding around him. We were about 200 yards from them at this point. Our plan of attack was for me to get in position just below the top of the ridge and for Sam to drop back and call to the bull. I now realize this wasn't a great idea, because there's no way the bull was going to leave his cows to come check on us when we were that far away. When Sam started calling, the bull stood up, rounded up his cows, and they all started moving away from us through the bottom of the meadow, ultimately headed over the next ridge.

The only thing I could think of at that point was to follow them, so we quickly started running down the ridge we were on after them. As we would bugle at him, he would bugle back, but we could tell he was getting farther away from us. Suddenly, there was a loud bugle from behind us (on the back side of the ridge, away from the herd). It sounded very close and caught us off guard. I immediately nocked an arrow and took about five steps to the top of the ridge to peek over. When I looked over, there was a bull standing there looking at me, less than 20 yards away! I was slightly obstructed from his view by a small bush, which was good because the adrenaline caused me to take 3-4 tries to clip my release on my D-loop . There was no need to range him, so I drew and shot. The shot hit him behind his left shoulder and he turned and ran downhill. I had just arrowed my first archery bull, on my first day of archery elk hunting!

Sam was watching, but had dropped back a little to call and could not see the bull or my shot. After a few shocked faces when I told him I shot, we took off again after the herd bull, with Sam in the lead now. As I walked away from where I shot, I thought I heard a crash and felt really confident that my bull was dead. We chased the herd bull for another couple hundred yards before we decided we might want to take care of one bull before we end up with two on the ground (4.5 miles from the truck), so we turned back and revisited my shot location.

At this point it had been about 20 minutes, so I eased up to where the bull was standing when I shot. There I found a whipped up sapling and a bedding spot. He was definitely the bull we were trading bugles with earlier in the day and hadn't bothered to get up from his bed. When we came running/bugling down the ridge, it was enough commotion to make him jump up and bugle (kind of a "shock-gobble", I guess). There wasn't any blood where he was standing, but I stood looking down hill and could actually make out his brown body against the white snow and trees about 50 yards away!

Here's a pic as we approached...

And some grip-n-grins...

We got him quartered up and into game bags, which took longer than expected because he had fallen against a big log, as you can see in the pics. I loaded up my pack with a shoulder and the head, and Sam took a hindquarter and one backstrap (he figured he would take a backstrap now in order to lighten the second load). We hung the rest of the meat in two small trees. The packout started at 8:00 pm and ended up being one of the hardest physical things I have ever done (and I have packed out two other elk before this). It was dark, and we had about 1/2 a mile through the deadfall you can see in the pics, and then about 4 miles on a muddy, slippery trail. We got back to camp at 3:30 am, and by the time we laid down to sleep it had been a full 24-hr day.

We spent the whole next week trying to get a bull for Sam, but ultimately came up empty-handed. We located another bedded bull with cows on Monday, but the wind spoiled it for us as we closed to about 100 yards. Other than that, we had a hard time even FINDING elk, which seemed to be a prevalent issue among everyone else we talked to at the trailhead. Luckily we had already filled one tag, because the weather warmed up, the elk shut up, and the hunting was very hard the remainder of our trip.

Still, it was a great trip with some great memories! And even though I spent hours cursing the deadfall, both during the packout and the rest of the week, I'd go back up there right now if I could.

Oh, we also had a bear visit our coolers in camp (I had ice in them but the drain plugs open to let water out). RTIC latches ARE NOT bear proof, as you can see below. Luckily he couldn't get the cooler open because it was on the front of the trailer under the pop-up.

AgEng06
AG
Ugh... thanks TexAgs uploader. Hang on guys...

Ok, I think the pics are fixed now.
lazuras_dc
AG
Fantastic !
AgLA06
AG
Awesome!
bkf0005
AG
Congratulations!
cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks for the write up, and great story! Congrats on your bull amigo, you definitely earned it. Super proud of you, and so glad all the effort and planning paid off! With a bow too, man that's awesome!!!!

It was a tough year for most people here that I have heard. I called in a bull much smaller than yours for a friend during muzzy season, which he gladly shot. Other than that, I've only helped pack out one bull, a nice 5x5 during 1st.

Had another buddy who was having trouble during 1st rifle. So I tried to help him out on the last day. We hiked WAY too far into a pretty tight little drainage, put several hours and many miles on our boots in the dark. He was toast when we got there. Hiked to the top of a ridge to glass a tight little drainage. There was a knoll at the top, very steep with precarious rocks. It was only a little higher than us, but hey, elevation is elevation in my book. My buddy did not think it was worth it. I tried to convince him to come, but he wanted to just sit below. I scrambled up in a few minutes to the top, and there was a tiny little meadow on the backside. Sure enough, there were elk in the timber behind the meadow, and a decent bull too. I eased back and peaked over the side to throw a rock at by friend, but I didn't see him. Then I heard him scrambling up, so I leaned around the rock and gave him the "BE QUIET! There's elk over here!" look. As he crouched down, I noticed he had neither pack nor gun with him. I tried my best sign language - but he looked at me like a confused dog with his head sideways. Finally, he got the message, and went back to retrieve his rifle.

I watched the bull feed casually across the meadow for what seemed like forever, at 60 yards. He was a nice little 6x6- probably 280". By the time my friend returned, the elk were nearing the far side of the meadow. A cow caught some movement (I believe) as my buddy climbed next to me, and gave that gut wrenching alarm bark we all know... they were all in the trees before my friend could shoulder his gun.

He said he was just so tired, that he wasn't thinking straight. He didn't think it was worth it to scramble up that little knoll, and thus didn't want to lug extra weight up there. I can promise that is the last time a gun will leave his hands while a tag is in his pocket. Lesson learned.

All that to say, it's tough out there this year.

cupofjoe04
AG
Oh, and I would bet my house that isn't the first cooler that bear has broken into... that's some surgical disassembly right there.

*edit to add* Sorry bkf... I just realized i replied to your post on accident
Aggie_3
Last day of the hunt here in Wyoming Before heading to Montana and filled the tag with a Cow elk at 510 yards and once we got up to her we were glad I took her as Looks like someone had shot her in the lower leg and she survived it But had a good infection below the leg.

stdeb11
AG
Congrats!
cupofjoe04
AG
congrats on the cow!

Thats a nasty looking infection... hopefully hadn't spread anywhere.

I took a bull one time, and while we were taking off a hindquarter, I noticed the meat looked pink and slimy the closer to the ball joint we got. When we finally got down there, we found a broad head with an aluminum arrow attached! He had broken the arrow off just under his skin on the far side. Most of that hind quarter was infected...
Aggie_3
cupofjoe04 said:

congrats on the cow!

Thats a nasty looking infection... hopefully hadn't spread anywhere.

I took a bull one time, and while we were taking off a hindquarter, I noticed the meat looked pink and slimy the closer to the ball joint we got. When we finally got down there, we found a broad head with an aluminum arrow attached! He had broken the arrow off just under his skin on the far side. Most of that hind quarter was infected...

Thanks! And yeah we made sure to check the meat but no infection spread
stdeb11
AG
Congrats!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.