Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,652 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
JeremiahJohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or Mexico.
mneisch
AG
How low is low? In my opinion pretty much any unit in Colorado has the opportunity for a big mulie, and you don't have to hunt them at 10k.
TH36
Yea, I hunted archery elk in Colorado with my Dad and Uncle who lives in Colorado when I was 18. My Uncle and his buddy had been hunting at about 10K plus in this unit. My allergies kicked up and got some fluid in my head which made its way to my lungs and I had to go get on a plane and head home I got so sick cause the fluid on my lungs made my asthma that much worse at altitude. Last time I was in Ouray we drove way up high and same thing, lungs weren't operating real well. So Id like to keep it down around 5-6k max I guess?

I'm not against buying preference points either in Wyoming or anywhere else that does that. My Dad hunted Utah and Wyoming a bunch when I was a kid, I'd like to hunt either one of those states. But I'm not against any of em, my wife's from Montana so I've got places to stay up there as well. Basically, I'm down to hunt anywhere...just looking for a start point and I'm willing to buy preference points in multiple states if that's what it takes. There's just a mountain of info on the internet about how all this draw stuff works and it can be a little overwhelming digging through all of it, so I figured I'd start by asking on this thread.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
You could also get into the best shape of your life and see if your doctor will prescribe dexamethisone
aggie_2010
AG
Being in great shape helps, but only a little. Some people are more prone to altitude sickness regardless of physical fitness. Sounds like the OP may have experienced a degree of the worst and most life threatening symptoms of altitude sickness (cerebral and pulmonary edema). My suggestions are to subscribe to gohunt or a similar site and talk to your doc. I believe gohung lists the elevations for every unit as well as draw odds, hunter success, etc.

Good luck op!
shaynew1
AG
Shooting from the hip here...

How bout Alberta?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
The dex is for the edema
AgLA06
AG
Cloudcroft or Ruidoso area in New Mexico would be my suggestion. You'd be between 6500' and 7500'. Vastly different than the altitude required up north in the rockies.

Unless you're going to hunt desert mulies in the southwest that's about as low as your going to go without severely limiting your hunting area.

And that's not the emoji I selected.
TH36
I don't think it was edema... I can get a cold here in Texas at the elevations we're at and my lungs are screwed cause of the asthma. You add in the thin air of altitude and it makes it 10x worse. I just don't wanna be hunting at 10K and have my allergies flair up, get a bunch of snot in my head which inevitably makes it to your lungs, then be gasping for air cause it's so thin at that altitude.

So are y'all saying purchasing preference points somewhere like Wyoming isn't worth it? Even if I cash them in 5-8 years later and in the mean time just keep putting in somewhere like New Mexico?

Appreciate all the info so far btw.
cc_ag92
AG
TH36 You can draw a mule deer tag every year in the eastern half of WY. The hard part is finding the public land pieces that you can get to. But that's not impossible, heck its half the fun.
TH36
Purchased a Antelope and Deer preference point in Wyoming this evening. After reading their website, their states draw info made more sense. I'll have to go start reading up on New Mexico next.
Aggie Hunter
AG
TH36 said:

Purchased a Antelope and Deer preference point in Wyoming this evening. After reading their website, their states draw info made more sense. I'll have to go start reading up on New Mexico next.

I know some good guides in casper and Cody area if you decide to go that route. I have hunted goats and deer with them in both locations.
TH36
Reasonable prices or break the bank prices? Talked with my Dad last night about doing a hunt with a outfitter in Wyoming or something.
cupofjoe04
AG
Day 1 of our elk hunt. It was the most epic day of elk hunting in my life. Scouting definitely paid off! Elk are starting to get pretty active, but we didn't see many cows that seemed to be garnering attention.

We were on elk all day long. We easily saw over 300, including 20+ bulls (not including spikes and raghorns). We knocked down our 2 cows in the process of trying to find a huge bull. Got them both quartered and packed down the the coolers. So thats out of the way. Meat in the freezer!

We passed on a really good 6x6 and a nice 6x7 for my dad (our only bull tag). Though choices! But the right one- late in the day we found a MONSTER. We wound up stalking 150 yards from him, but he had 40 cows and other bulls. It was chaos. Finally, we had a lane and I bugled and cow called. He moved a bit closer and cleared the heard. BOOM. Dad shot right over his back. Don't know what happened, he just pulled it. But this was a LEGIT 350 bull. Pure symmetrical 6x6.

Not bad for Day 1. We'll see what day 2 holds.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I miss $60 elk tags...

Congrats on the delicious meat! Now get that bull!
bkf0005
AG
Good luck, hope y'all get back on him today!
Aggie_3
Can't wait to fly out Sunday morning for Jackson Wyoming for 4 days of bull elk hunting in the mountains above Alpine, Wyoming. Was up scouting a month ago and there are some good bulls up where we will be hunting
yakin ag
AG
FIL and I just got back from OTC Elk in Colorado. We hunted 3 different units from west to north, no elk. Nobody we talked to were seeing elk, or had killed one (archery and muzzleloader). I did have a pair of close encounters with moose one evening. First a cow and calf came within 15 yards of me before I waved them off. On my way back to the trail to be picked up, I came across a second cow, she moved away when I was around 30 yards from her. A few hundred yards later, a rutting bull and cow were between the pickup point and me. They weren't moving, so I started working around them, and the bull moved towards me. I moved wider faster, and they both trotted after me. A couple of shouts and they stopped, but it got the blood pumping! No kills, but that was my most exciting mountain hunt to date.

AgLA06
AG
What units and what elevation were you hunting?

Moose are still the coolest part of elk hunting for me. Don't get me wrong I love killing elk, but there's something really cool about moose. Funny because I'll never get to hunt them.
yakin ag
yakin ag
AG
Units 22, 14, 15. We saw elk at roughly 9,500 feet. Most were in wet bottoms, some were higher up in deadfall.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
makes sense. 14 is or used to be the best moose unit in CO. Walden is the moose capital of CO. Elk hunted 14 one year and all we saw were moose lol
Sounds like a great hunt even though you didn't get anything! Any bugling going on up there yet?
yakin ag
AG
All the moose were in 14. We didn't hear a single bugle in any unit, and the folks we chatted with said they had stopped a week earlier. I thought they would be bugling all month?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I bet the cold snap kicked them into gear early even though the rut hadn't really started yet, and it should kick back into gear in earnest again here any minute
cupofjoe04
AG
Bull down boys! Not as big as the one we missed a few days ago, but he's nothing to complain about.

Truly epic hunt has come to a close. Got to get wrapped up, and go home tomorrow. Full recap and pics will be shared ASAP.
AgEng06
AG
Yessssss! Congrats to you and your dad!
shaynew1
bkf0005
AG
Congrats!
stdeb11
cupofjoe04
AG
I'll just share the bull and a few other pics from the hunt here. It was AMAZING, and closed with Dad finally achieving his dream and getting a big bull

One of my fav pics

I didn't want to clog down this thread with the whole story, so here is the recap
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3139980/replies/57445593#57445593
shaynew1
AG
Whoever is worried about you clogging the thread with recaps like that can go kick rocks and fight me
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

Whoever is worried about you clogging the thread with recaps like that can go kick rocks and fight me

True! My posting priorities are backwards...
AgEng06
AG
shaynew1 said:

Hell yeah.

Joey's story is absolutely the content we come here for.
Aggie_3
Flying out in the morning after we BTHO Vandy, for 4 days of hunting for a big ol Wyoming Bull elk
shaynew1
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

this is awesome.

the rest is great too, but i especially dig this one.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.