Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,602 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
arrow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Page 1?

ETA: Dang. Get him LEJ!
arrow
AG
2019 was a different year for me. Played guide in Colorado which was fun and then had the half-assed family Thanksgiving late season Montana hunt. Had fun but didn't punch a tag myself.

Lots of possibilities in 2020. Currently in Alaska sheep draw. Planning to enter Wyoming elk Draw this month.
BullSprig07
AG
I could (should) be be able to draw the WY general elk tag this year. I have some initial research on what units I might want to focus on but I know a few of you have hunted that tag so I'd welcome any thoughts; either on here or DM or email if you prefer.

Hopefully third time is a charm for elk this year.
Pignorant
AG
I am a newbie at this, when does the New Mexico draw application come online?
BrazosBQ
AG
2020 Western Big Game Hunting Application Deadlines

Most 2020 dates not yet finalized, but goHUNT updates as info becomes available.
mneisch
AG
Will be putting in for 2nd season mule deer in Colorado, hopefully back to the same unit where my buddy and I went 2 for 2. I'll also put in for many species in New Mexico this year.
stdeb11
AG
This year I'll do archery OTC for elk again and then try to pick up some leftover elk tag. Probably muzzy and rifle antelope, and thinking I'll burn deer points this year if I can narrow down units. All in CO.

Also keep building points in Montana, Wyoming, and AZ too....maybe a WY doe antelope hunt too if there's time this year
Texas 1836
AG
FSGuide said:

jayelbee said:

Been waiting for this thread. I'm a new big game hunter and so far I've been looking at all of the raffles and supertag type hunts since without 15+ points there are several things like sheep and moose that I'll never really get an opportunity to hunt by putting in for standard draw.

Other than that, I would like to find my way into one guaranteed draw western rifle hunt next year. I don't have a lot of friends too interested in a backcountry hunt and the ones that are aren't dependable, so that most likely puts me going solo for a cow elk or mule deer best I can tell.

You can do guaranteed draw in Wyoming in certain areas. Me & my buddy went 2 years in a row outside of Cody. Email me and I'll fill you in.
FS, I sent you an email.
LEJ

Glassed a pretty good buck at noon and went after him since he appeared to be solo. He was cruisin at a pretty good clip and I could never quite catch up to him. Might have gotten to within 150. He eventually just disappeared into the dunes. These desert deer have an amazing ability to ghost on you very quickly.

Drove to a different location and Glassed a huge bodied deer from prob 2 miles off, skylined on a big dune. Obviously a buck and probably the brute that I was after from yesterday..

Bumped a good younger lookin buck in bow range near a windmill with 15 minutes legal light that I probably would have shot... if he woulda stood still.

At least ended up with a nice consolation prize... better than a set of steak knives.
aggie0959
Man I was looking on gohunt for some options for mule deer with little to no points. And it seems that any option are over run with otc elk hunters. I know they are claiming that total hunt numbers are down across the U.S. but the western states are getting dicey on finding a place with few people. I guess I am just going to have to built some points.
Shes2fat4me
AG
At least you saw some really nice desert deer, is that Unit 31?
LEJ
It ain't over just yet. Glassed up big boy and his ever growing harem at 8:30 this morning. Got after him hard but lost the whole damn herd after an hour or so once they got into the "real duney dunes". Don't think I bumped them at all. Just got clowned.

Wind was shifting, swirling and dying, and temp was climbing so I just backed off and tried a different area.

Glassed up a young forkie about 150 upwind of a spot I was about to glass from. Sat down and glassed up a nice wide 3x3 with 1 hour of legal at about 700 yards out. He was moving with a purpose from my left to right and when he got to about 500 I just couldn't take it anymore so I grabbed my deke and got his attn. Knew it probably wouldn't work at such a long distance but I actually got within 250 of him across open country before he finally called bs and moved off. This was definitely a new buck as he had a pretty noticeable limp.

Weak front blowing through tonight should make for good stalking conditions in the am.

Tired of sand. Not tired of desert mule deer.

I'm in 33.
cupofjoe04
AG
Thread got way too close to page 2...

Update on your hunt LEJ??? Said a prayer for you this am, brother
LEJ
Appreciate it. Back to civilization late last night, empty handed.

Spotted the big dude again yesterday around 10:30. Tried making a big loop to get wind right and avoid other deer in the way but there was never a real great stalk op and he was tough to respot consistently once I made the move.

Gonna get some work in for a few days then I'm headed back to the desert. Season ends Jan 15.

This buck is hanging out in the same general area with his does. It seems like an impossible task, but I got to within 35 yards of a giant 2 years ago out here so I'm thinking I can do it again.
Post removed:
by user
harge57
AG
Anyone applying for Wyoming general elk this year?

New process where application is due 1/31, but you can withdraw your app up until 5/8.

My brother and I will have 2.5 points (I have 2 he has 3), which will likely be right at the cutoff this year.

I may just have him apply separate and I will do the special draw, unless we can find someone else applying with 4 points.
arrow
AG
I'm considering all options: apply with outfitter, general tag, or throwing my name in the hat for a limited entry tag. 5 points.
harge57
AG
You looking to do archery or rifle? Seems like there is not much reason to build points for limited entry archery in WY.

Obviously the biggest advantage of an outfitter is access to the wilderness, but many of them operate in general units or low point all wilderness units.

If you go general tag (or outfitter in general) let me know. I would be happy to give you a $100 to join our group to pay for your extra points.

You would not be tied to hunting with us whatsoever, just going through the application process. However I would be happy to share with you what I know about the two Wyoming general areas I have hunted.

arrow
AG
I pretty much build points for everything everywhere so I don't get too worked up with wasting them. That said, points I need to use soon because of purgatory: Utah General Deer, Colorado Deer, Wyoming Elk.

I don't have a weapon preference. I'm considering an outfitter not only for wilderness access but also due to the fact that I may be solo this year.
harge57
AG
I have 3 deer and elk points in Colorado. I think I'm on the verge of purgatory there too.

Plus i have 3 deer points in Wyoming.
AgEng06
AG
I burned 3 deer points in CO last season for that reason. I realized it was going to be a while before they were "worth it", and I didn't want to wait that long.
harge57
AG
What season did you hunt? I think I would like to do an alpine early rifle type hunt.
AgEng06
AG
I hunted 2nd rifle because others in our group we're getting OTC elk tags.
LEJ
Return trip to the desert was a huge disappointment.

Just couldn't turn up much or get on the handful of deer I spotted.

Bumped 1 really nice buck at about 40 yards after desperation set in and I was trudging through a massive dune.

Only interesting pic from this one.

Ugg.... offseason.
BurrOak
AG
I will take out your frustrations on some Devils River SNA aoudad this weekend.
mudbutt07
My in laws bought a house in New Mexico but their residency is here in Texas. Can they draw for elk tags as new Mexico residents?

I can't find a clear answer but my preliminary findings are yes they can.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
AgEng06
AG
I'm going with no. Check out page 10 (page 14 of the PDF) here:

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/download/publications/rib/2020/hunting/2020_2021-New-Mexico-Hunting-Rules-and-Info.pdf

Quote:

To qualify for New Mexico resident license(s), an individual must meet one of the following criteria: 1. A United States citizen who has resided in N.M. for a period of not less than 90 days immediately preceding the date of application (or purchase) for the license, has been domiciled in N.M., and has not claimed residency elsewhere for any purpose. Temporary or seasonal residents and home owners, who maintain a primary residence outside of N.M., do not qualify for resident licenses.
cupofjoe04
AG
They cannot, I don't believe. AgEng nailed it above.

*edit to add: I know someone whose neighbor got busted in NM for this. They owned a condo in NM, but were CA residents. They found what they thought was a loophole. Short story- the fines were much greater than whatever they saved on tags.
Pignorant
AG
Does anyone have a recommendation on the minimum draw weight for archery elk?
AgEng06
AG
Pignorant said:

Does anyone have a recommendation on the minimum draw weight for archery elk?
1. Check the state regs. There may be a required minimum draw weight.
2. Draw weight is only part of the equation, so find an online calculator and calculate your bow's kinetic energy and momentum based off of your arrow weight and speed.

I think a 40+ ft-lbs of kinetic energy is generally recommended for elk and other large game.

In my opinion, I wouldn't feel comfortable shooting an elk with less than 50# draw weight, but I know others may disagree.
Pignorant
AG
Thanks, New Mexico does not have a minimum. Wyoming is 50 and above.
AgEng06
AG
You're welcome.

Out of curiosity, what are your bow and arrow specs?
Pignorant
AG
Would have to check on arrow, but my draw weight is 50 with a draw length of 28 (maybe 28.5).

Really would like to do archery but might have to hit weight room.
AgEng06
AG
Got it. You're going to need arrow weight and speed as well. If you know your bow's IBO speed and arrow weight, you can estimate the actual speed. Then use that speed along w/ arrow weight to calculate kinetic energy.

Or, you can shoot your arrow through a chrono if you have one.

This website has the calculators you need: http://archerycalculator.com/
shaynew1
AG
Pignorant said:

Would have to check on arrow, but my draw weight is 50 with a draw length of 28 (maybe 28.5).

Really would like to do archery but might have to hit weight room.

I think 50 lbs w a proper arrow and a fixed broadhead will get it done as long as you don't get too unreasonable with distance.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.