Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,712 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
Charismatic Megafauna
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think he may go 350, at least gross. That's a nice bull, I'd take him!

Congrats shayne!
AgLA06
AG
I'm with the family in Ruidoso for the weekend. Got board and did a little internet scouting and found a water hole just on public land on a back road we ran by on the way back to town. Came across this guy with his heard. He was bugling and pushing, but hadn't pushed out the satellite bulls yet. There was a 5x5 and 2 other small bulls in the heard.

My 5 year old doesn't get how awesome this is. I however was giggling like a school girl.

cupofjoe04
AG
Nice bull! What a cool experience.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Wonder what this cold front/snow is gonna do for you early archery guys...kick the rut off early or make everything lay down for the week
shaynew1
AG
My money is on everything quiet through Thursday and then the mfing roof is going to be on fire.

Headed home now but I'll be back up the 11th for some muzzleloader callin an packin.
Maverick06
AG
I'll be there Saturday. Save one for me damnit!! I'm dialed in. Ready to stick a big *******!
AgEng06
AG
shaynew1 said:

My money is on everything quiet through Thursday and then the mfing roof is going to be on fire.

Headed home now but I'll be back up the 11th for some muzzleloader callin an packin.

I hope you're right. We'll be there sometime Thursday.
shaynew1
AG
Here be elk.

Solo evening hunt. I was watching some bulls across the bowl from me and listening to two bulls fight in the brush below them.

Then I notice a locust bush shaking below me like 150 yards away. That's not two bulls fighting a long ways off...that's one bull whoopin a tree right down there.

All of this bull **** is maddeningly tall. I had no idea how big he was, but resolved to only shoot a big one up in this spot..I didn't want to do my homies like that..

Had a solid prevalent wind, so tried to sneak in. There is no sneaking. Luckily he was still on rake detail so I doubt he could hear me anyway. Close to what I think is 50ish. Find me a decent place to shoot and start making elk racket. Do a little cow mew and get his attention and he's curious but I can tell he's not closing. I give him a bit and then do a little pissant bugle followed by some happy mews. Curiosity get him and I sense he's coming. See antler tips rounding a Bush in the little shooting lane I had set up in. I draw, settle, and wait.

He steps out. 25 yards sort of through a bush, but I did not think it would interrupt my arrow path. He's is far below the arbitrary size requirement I had set for this spot. Then I recalled that not a single fiber of my being will ever pass a legal bull. Let alone one that close while I'm at full draw.

Surprise break. 12 ring. He runs 10 yards and falls over. I hear him groaning and he's done in a minute. And thank God. He could have got to an impossibly ****ty spot, but as luck would have it he piled up right on the spine of the ridge.

I call I'm the cav and they arrive in an hour and a half or so. We bone him out there and knocked it out in one trip while the wind whipped up to gale force.

Lol at passing on bulls.

https://imgur.com/z7tqGk0

I guess I don't know how to post images anymore.
AgLA06
AG
Awesome!!

If i ever pass on that in an unguided public land hunt, one of you please shoot me.
shaynew1
AG
Full disclosure:

This was on public, but I had some access through the privates.
cupofjoe04
AG
Heck yeah! Thanks for sharing the story. Congrats brother!!!

A little pic help for a great bull:
cc_ag92
AG
Well done!!
AggieJames09
AG
My Colorado Public land DIY Archery Muley Buck. 54 yard shot at 12,200'. Lots of hard work finally paid off.

I drove up 8/28 with Robyn and we spent a few days enjoying the mountains, hiking, fishing, 4wheeling and weather. She flew home Monday am and it was time to get serious.

I got to my hunting area that afternoon, setup camp and started hitting some of my previous spots scouting. The season didn't start till that Wednesday so I spent those two days covering as much ground as possible trying to get a game plan for the season.

I found a lot of bucks I'd love to take, along with some other epic critters. Saw the biggest Moose and Big Horn Sheep I've ever seen, the Colorado Mountains never disappoint.

I spent the first two days of the season on bucks but couldn't close the distance. The area I hunt is usually 11k-13k plus feet. It's hell for a Texas guy getting use to this elevation no matter how good of shape you get in before the hunt. My first stalk was into a group of 17 bucks to have some of other hunters blow them out of the basin, joy of public land hunting.

Thursday night, Devin showed up to hunt with me the remaining part of the trip. We got on bucks that next morning and did right at 6 miles at 12-13,200' putting a stalk on a solid 4x4 and couple smaller bucks. I ended up getting busted and we made the long hike back.

We made a game plan to try a different area that next morning and got there real early to glass. We quickly found a good group of bucks and watched them bed into the timbers. Around 2pm we hiked around and above them to position ourselves where we suspected them to still be....

Devin sat at the top of ridge with his spotter and glass while I made the decision to get a little lower in case they started to feed up. It played out picture perfect and I was able to arrow the biggest buck of the bachelor group at 54 yards. I pin wheeled him and watched him go down just seconds after.

This is my 4th year chasing Muleys in this area. Finally got my first Mule Deer Buck. He's not the biggest but damn I'm proud of him. Lots of hard work paid off. Devin killed it with the pictures...

Hope this link works...

https://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/5dcbfeb129a84b5183c6bae14cb629dc

https://instagr.am/p/CE2OrJ7FUpm

AgEng06
AG
Hell yeah man, that's awesome! And what a backdrop for a pic!

If you feel up to it, give us the story/write-up.
AggieJames09
AG
Thanks, I updated the post with the story.
mpl35
AG
AggieJames09 said:

Thanks, I updated the post with the story.

Awesome
lazuras_dc
AG
Great photos and stories all around ! Getting pumped !
agenjake
Very nice.
stdeb11
AG
Congrats guys!

I got back late last night with empty coolers for this first trip outside of two grouse. One was the largest grouse I've ever laid eyes on so I'm calling that my trophy for the trip. Was in elk every day so made the hunting really fun. Crept in on a bedded bull at 25yds but just needed him to standup to get a clear shot (obviously didn't happen), passed on a cow, accidentally bumped a few other cows, and had some good calling setup/sequence learning experiences that just wouldn't workout....

Now for the angry rant. Freaking Muzzleloader hunters scouting for this coming weekend setup their dang camp in the middle of primo country sometime over the long weekend. So on Monday morning I'm closing the distance on a bull and his cows feeding up into some timber I stumble into two idiots making coffee and breakfast right where the elk were trying to feed thru. All I got was "oh yeah man, there was a bull and cows here but idk which way they went. This is a great spot". Uh yeah dude I know and headed out hoping to still find the herd... Anyways, public lands.
shaynew1
AG
I would have demanded coffee and breakfast once I had recovered from my aneurysm.
Maverick06
AG
Bulls actively bugling yet? I'll be up Saturday and hunting starting Sunday. Hopefully we aren't late.
stdeb11
AG
Some are. My experience was it was young bulls with a small group of cows who were doing the bugling so still pre-rut. The larger bulls still were off on their own based on some game cam pics and what I saw I imagine with this weather and a bit more time things are fixing to get real good.
lazuras_dc
AG
Have y'all heard any issues with states thinking about not allowing out of state hunters ? I haven't seen anything official but a friend of mine who has a hunt scheduled in NM raised the concern.
AgLA06
AG
Technically they could, but they aren't.

I was in Ruidoso last weekend. Only the far north liberal towns are trying to police it. Even Santa Fe doesn't much care anymore.

I mean, he's Technically quarantining on the mountain so it's not like they could do anything.
AgEng06
AG
Blood drawn on Day 1. Details in about a week, we got a other tag to fill.
harge57
AG
Officially out of TX. Been driving all morning. Will get to trailhead in WY at about 1 am

Ticket in mineral wells may becoming a hunting tradition
shaynew1
AG
Called in some small bulls this morning and one got the business from one of the muzzleloaders. Still feels pretty prerut. Glassed three big bulls just hanging out being best friends for an hour in the sun late morning.
AgEng06
AG
AgEng06 said:

Blood drawn on Day 1. Details in about a week, we got a other tag to fill.

Story later...

mneisch
AG
Stud bull, congrats!
agenjake
Whoop!
AgDad121619
AG
That's awesome - y'all are getting me pumped for my 1st elk hunt in 3.5 weeks!
cupofjoe04
AG
Congrats brother!!! Hope you guys can poke a hole in another one
harge57
AG
Day 4 on the mountain and no mule deer down.

Decided to bomb off an 800 ft cliff where I had last seen some decent mule deer. After a 6 mile loop down and back around to my camp and about 3k in elevation I decided I am not doing that again unless I actually see the deer.

Amazing how many people are back here 6 miles in and 3k above the trailhead.

Got a couple 150 ish mule deer in my current basin, but they are not tempting me. Thinking I will move to a different spot today or tomorrow.

Wyoming Region H.

TH36
So if a guy wanted to go after mule deer in relatively low altitude (asthma is a ***** at high altitudes) and was starting from scratch, where do I begin? What state should I start looking at? My only requirement is I want to hunt with a rifle and I'd like to at the very least be somewhere where a nice buck could be a possibility. I'm not made of money so drawing for a do it yourself public hunt would be great.
cupofjoe04
AG
TH36 said:

So if a guy wanted to go after mule deer in relatively low altitude (asthma is a ***** at high altitudes) and was starting from scratch, where do I begin? What state should I start looking at? My only requirement is I want to hunt with a rifle and I'd like to at the very least be somewhere where a nice buck could be a possibility. I'm not made of money so drawing for a do it yourself public hunt would be great.

Your gonna want to be in New Mexico, would be my guess. Pure lottery draw, so your odds never really change.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.