Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,714 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
agenjake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
About the same. A week from now we'll be driving out of Texas headed for the Laramie Range.
CTGilley
AG
NRD09 said:

agenjake said:

Dumb question that we've probably covered before.

If a numbered Forest Service road goes through private property, can you use that road? Let's assume it doesn't have a gate across it. We'll be in Wyoming.
in CO the answer is yes. Just do not stop
A lot of them have locked gates on them even though it is a public road.
lazuras_dc
AG
What socks do you guys wear when it's quite cold out ? I have some darn tough wool socks but I'm not sure if they come in different thicknesses. Last years hunt my toes were frozen numb in the mornings and evenings and it wasn't fun. Am I the only one or is that normal whatever sock you wear and just need to suck it up ?
Lowa hiking Boots... not insulated but it was only getting down to the 20s.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Are you hunting week after next? Weather is shaping up to be very mild. Last year's hunt was cold as hell.
Thick socks in boots that fit you with light to medium socks will restrict blood flow and make your toes cold. I don't like insulated boots for hiking. Does anybody make a lightweight insulated overboot? That seems like it would be the ticket. Otherwise just keep your core warm, put on fresh dry socks in the morning and put your feet in the sun when it comes out
lazuras_dc
AG
Hunting last week of October (rifle 2 )

I agree don't care for insulated boots or multiple sock option.

I'll suck it up or throw some hand warmers in my boots when I wake up.

Good luck to ya! Let us know if you get anything.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Oh don't worry I'll be blabbering about it all next week!
I found a horse packer that will go up in our basin. Figured it was good to have the number saved since we have 3 elk and 2 bear tags
yeah it'll be cold by then. hand warmers are a good idea
AgLA06
AG
I tend to either wear the darn tough work socks if moderate (freezing and up) and their hunting socks if colder. I'll never wear thick socks again. More problems than solutions.

Darn Tough Hunter Boot Sock Full Cushion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GUDL5FE/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_fab_Fi4DFb155S03W
mneisch
AG
I wear a pair of Cabelas branded merino wool socks with a moisture wicking liner sock underneath. The combo keeps my feet warm and dry. Bunch of different brands do the same thing (though I'd merino regardless), but as mentioned a thicker sock is not always better due to circulation issues.
mpl35
AG
Look into vapor barriers too. Make a difference in wet and cold conditions.
AgLA06
AG
Darn tough are Marino wool. That's why I switched to them.
lazuras_dc
AG
AgLA06 said:

I tend to either wear the darn tough work socks if moderate (freezing and up) and their hunting socks if colder. I'll never wear thick socks again. More problems than solutions.

Darn Tough Hunter Boot Sock Full Cushion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GUDL5FE/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_fab_Fi4DFb155S03W

I have these which look almost identical so guess I'll stick with them.

Darn Tough Hunter Boot Sock Full Cushion https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GUDL5FE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_u09DFbTEVHJSF
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I hear they are still bugling up a storm in telluride, a golfer in evergreen got gored by a bull on Monday...is the rut running really late? My season starts Saturday in the Colorado front range, have never hunted it with the rut still on!!!
cupofjoe04
AG
NRD09 said:

I hear they are still bugling up a storm in telluride, a golfer in evergreen got gored by a bull on Monday...is the rut running really late? My season starts Saturday in the Colorado front range, have never hunted it with the rut still on!!!

In my experience, you would have to talk to people actually there to know. I don't think rutting activity is simultaneous across all areas. Yes, breeding centers around the Equinox I do believe. But for instance, This year I was hunting peak rut a few hours from where I live, and we had bulls absolutely screaming all day each day. I've talked to people who hunted in a variety of places that same week, and got a variety of responses- from "not a peep" to "we needed earplugs to sleep" to "we were covered up in bugling bulls".

I also think you can little pockets of activity, depending on what is happening locally or within that herd. I think you absolutely can still find rutting though mid-Oct, though it gets more infrequent and spread out as less and less cows come into heat.

Just my .02
AgLA06
AG
Agree. It just depends. The first bull I killed in northwest Colorado was bugling during third rifle. He was the "herd bull", but a scrub 4x5 by most standards. I assumed it was a dumb hunter until they crested the ridge.

We had bugling at night in the San Juan during third season a couple years ago. Not a peep or rutting activity during the day.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
interesting, thanks guys. I've hunted CO 1st rifle in the front range pretty consistently for 12 years or so now and never heard a bugle I wasn't pretty sure was just a hunter. I guess 3rd rifle could be a second rut...
cupofjoe04
AG
NRD09 said:

interesting, thanks guys. I've hunted CO 1st rifle in the front range pretty consistently for 12 years or so now and never heard a bugle I wasn't pretty sure was just a hunter. I guess 3rd rifle could be a second rut...
I think pressure has more to do with vocalization than any of us really realize. Front range... by 1st rifle, every nook and cranny has likely had people in there for a month tooting away on a bugle tube like it is some sort of magical elk summoning stick. Elk get wise real quick. I'm not saying you can't see and kill elk there. I'm just saying they react very differently when they hear & see people all the time.

We have the same problem in our area. WAY too many people bumbling around the woods during Sept & rut. It changes the elk drastically. If I hop over the divide to a very limited unit, I see very different responses to my presence and calling, as well as elk behavior in general. I also don't see any people. Problem is, I'm still a decade away from getting a tag in there...
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
The Front Range has more nooks and crannies than people realize
cupofjoe04
AG
NRD09 said:

The Front Range has more nooks and crannies than people realize
I'll have to take your word for it!
TH36
How many of you hunt the OTC bow season's in these states for pronghorn or mule deer?

I see the opportunities are way greater on getting to hunt if you go with a bow versus a rifle.
BullSprig07
AG
My dad shot a dandy muley buck in Northern Wyoming yesterday. Planned for this hunt, bought him preference points and gifted it to him this year for Father's Day to say thanks for all the times he took me hunting and getting me into the outdoors. Now we're at a cabin near Alcova Wyoming south of Casper and he's frying up the tenderloins and I'm baking a trout I caught this evening (ya ya catch and release, it's only one fish and it's legal) for surf and turf Wyoming style. Life is good.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome!
cupofjoe04
AG
Congrats! What a great memory, good bull. And a great muley!!!

*PS- don't apologize for cooking a wild caught legal trout. You earned those calories! Rise above the snobs.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Nice buck! Thanks for sharing!

Hiking in to our unit in the morning, by far the warmest I've ever gotten to start co 1st rifle elk. Gonna get up high and glass hard!
agenjake
Excellent! Great buck. Good bull for putting a smile on your dad's face.
AgLA06
AG
Congrats man!

That's awesome.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Mule deer hunting first week of November in NM gmu 30. Working everyday to get my legs ready, Escouting, packing, etc. Got some new big eye binos ordered. Super excited.
Shes2fat4me
AG
Are you going first rifle? I will be there then for my forth hunt in that unit.
ATX_AG_08
AG
Yes, first rifle. This will be my third time mule deer hunting there. I've done Barbary three times as well.
Shes2fat4me
AG
Nice, we are headed up the Thursday before to get a day and a half of scouting new areas. Good luck!
mneisch
AG
Awesome buck and great memory to share with your dad!
Todd 02
AG
Geez, you couldn't close the distance, huh?

Of course I'm kidding...that's incredible!
agenjake
I'm a high straight in Plainview, a side bet in Idalou, and a fresh deck in New Deal...
arrow
AG
It was cool. I'll have to post more details when I get back home. Got a bull down yesterday. Helluva western season!
cupofjoe04
AG
arrow said:

It was cool. I'll have to post more details when I get back home. Got a bull down yesterday. Helluva western season!

Awesome! Great bull!!! Can't wait to hear the story. congrats amigo
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Wow! Awesome bull

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.