Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,694 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Driving home from wyoming.

Spent the last 13 nights sleeping on the ground.

txaggie02
AG
Well done!
cupofjoe04
AG
Great job!!!
cupofjoe04
AG
shaynew1 said:

cupofjoe04 said:

this is awesome.

the rest is great too, but i especially dig this one.

Thanks. Me too. I think I'm gonna get a large canvas made of this pic, and hang it in my office
agingcowboy
AG
Hey Joe, great story and great pics. Thanks for sharing. Definitely what this thread is all about. I follow this thread all year waiting for the season and the stories and pics getting shared! Did you put a tape to your dad's bull yet? Doesn't matter the score but I'm always trying to improve my field judging skills.

ETA: I'm guessing 324"
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
cupofjoe04
AG
He was right at 320. He could have used a little more mass to match that big frame. Pretty much a classic CO 6x6 all the way around.

He still had a little velvet clinging on the tops too, which was cool!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Great buck harge!
lazuras_dc
AG
Nicely done guys !
arrow
AG
Muley down. 4 yard shot! Headed home.
arrow
AG
Congrats western hunters! Lots of tags punched since I've been out of touch.
agenjake
That sounds like a great trip, regardless of kills.
agenjake
Great trip and great bull, Joey. I always look forward to these reports.
agenjake
That's a great buck, harge.
agenjake
Very nice, arrow.

We leave for WY in 12 days. You guys are getting the blood pumping.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Glad I'm not muley hunting this year, anything I'd kill would be seriously anticlimactic for this year's thread!
AgLA06
AG
More mule, than deer!!

Congrats!
AgEng06
AG
Fantastic muley, congrats!
cupofjoe04
AG
wow, what a great buck! Love the mass and deep forks. Way to go!!!
mneisch
AG
Awesome updates everyone! Can't wait for my chance up in Colorado next month.
BQ_2010
AG
Just made the decision to postpone/cancel my Wyoming Cow Elk hunt in Area 110 this year due to the Mullen Fire. They have closed off 95% of the area including the road to get to the family owned cabin on private land. I was supposed to leave tomorrow to be there opening day of rifle season. Wyoming Fish & Game did email me and all other drawn hunters a refund application and affidavit. I will more than likely take the refund. Sucks because this was my first big game hunt. Hopefully I can draw again next year, I have one preference point and dont think I will draw a bull tag until I get to at least three. Good luck to everyone else who can still hunt!
agenjake
That sucks, but it is probably the right call. The fire grew 50K acres in a day or two. It could be over 100K acres by Wednesday.

We looked hard at Deer Region D and opted for J instead, so we *should* be alright in the Laramie range.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I drove through it yesterday. Smoke is super thick.

AgEng06
AG
Colorado point/draw question for you guys:

When you apply in CO, do they add one point for the current application year, or do you go into the draw with the points you have before that year's draw? For example, let's say GoHunt says you have 100% chance to draw a unit with 2 points (for the sake of this, let's assume this is correct), will you draw if you have 1 point leading up to the draw and then get an additional point, or do you need 2 points ahead of time?

I know TX adds a point for the application year you are putting in, but wasn't sure if CO does it this way.
mneisch
AG
Based on how many points you have going into the draw.
cupofjoe04
AG
Unless I'm wrong- you get a point for a failed draw, not for applying.

So, if I currently have 2 mule deer points, when I apply next year it will be with 2 points. If I'm unsuccessful (or just apply for a point), they will add a point, bringing me to 3 for the next draw.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks guys.
mpl35
AG
And don't forget to buy points for your kids..when you can.. might as well get them started earning that coveted points. Especially in WY
lazuras_dc
AG
mpl35 said:

And don't forget to buy points for your kids..when you can.. might as well get them started earning that coveted points. Especially in WY

I never even thought about that.
Two questions. Legally How old do you have to be to hunt say in Co or Wy?
Second, I know this depends on the kids disposition and hiking /outdoors abilities etc. but just in general what age minimum would y'all suggest for bringing a kid on a western hunt. Let's say guided in a lodge or in a wall tent type situation ?
cupofjoe04
AG
12 in CO can start applying for big game licenses, and a getting points. Not sure if they have to have hunters Ed to just buy points, but they may force you to purchase a qualifying hunting license (small game, Turkey, etc), so it may be they have to have hunters Ed?
AgEng06
AG
Yes, I believe hunters ed is required to purchase points. My dad has to get it in CO bc he isn't required in TX, before he can start building any points.
mpl35
AG
Youth in WY can apply for preference points when they are 11 years old at the time of submitting a preference point only application and must be at least 12 years old by December 31 of that year.
agenjake
Dumb question that we've probably covered before.

If a numbered Forest Service road goes through private property, can you use that road? Let's assume it doesn't have a gate across it. We'll be in Wyoming.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
agenjake said:

Dumb question that we've probably covered before.

If a numbered Forest Service road goes through private property, can you use that road? Let's assume it doesn't have a gate across it. We'll be in Wyoming.
in CO the answer is yes. Just do not stop
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
a week from now I'll be halfway up the mountain, sweating panting and glassing. This is the final stretch CO 1st rifle boys! Couple more light workouts (don't get hurt!!!), work on the honey-do list, change oil/other car maintenance, hide anything you think may be destined for Goodwill while you're gone...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.