Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

111,040 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
stdeb11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What. in. the. heck. I'm gonna find his email and phone number and sign his punk azz up for a lifetime of cat facts
LEJ
On the slight chance that everything goes to sht, I'm going to my mule deer grounds. Nobody out there.
cupofjoe04
AG
stdeb11 said:

What. in. the. heck. I'm gonna find his email and phone number and sign his punk azz up for a lifetime of cat facts

This is the response! And maybe sign him up for a box of the month club of cats. Right in his mailbox.

I'm sure it is something regarding the government they don't like- but don't use my personal info as a pawn in your games. You didn't draw Gila, and I did on my first try. Suck it up buttercup. I haven't hit since.
cupofjoe04
AG
I'm ready to roll on 'em! I'm sure they have stashes of TP we could sell to finance our mercenary adventures.
LEJ
I'll wipe my arse with their living hair.
AgLA06
AG
The hair on the back of my neck says this is how hunters will be targeted from nut jobs like PETA.
aggie0959
I agree 120%
LEJ
will never spend another hunting $ in nm. Arizona is the nnm
BradMtn346
I'm not sure there is a protection in any state. The Freedom of Information Act gives the public access to a lot of government records. I know my local CPW guys fear FOIA.
cupofjoe04
AG
BradMtn346 said:

I'm not sure there is a protection in any state. The Freedom of Information Act gives the public access to a lot of government records. I know my local CPW guys fear FOIA.

I'm afraid this is very true. And something I have never considered before.

But I'm trying to remember what all information I have given NM, CO, and TX to hunt. DOB & Drivers License at least. Social?

There must be some level of protection. All they were required to turn over was Name, Address, and Email. Why the email? I don't understand why my email would matter to anyone with a harmless FOIA request, unless they had malicious intent? I don't know.
BradMtn346
cupofjoe04 said:

BradMtn346 said:

Pretty sure your social is protected by the privacy act.
I'm afraid this is very true. And something I have never considered before.

But I'm trying to remember what all information I have given NM, CO, and TX to hunt. DOB & Drivers License at least. Social?

There must be some level of protection. All they were required to turn over was Name, Address, and Email. Why the email? I don't understand why my email would matter to anyone with a harmless FOIA request, unless they had malicious intent? I don't know.
LEJ
NM BHA says it's all good. Nothin to see here. But, they're a bunch of drunken Indians, so who knows.
AgDad121619
AG
Go Hunt has updated to include 2019 odds for Colorado - thinking about 751 any folks know that area at all?
cupofjoe04
AG
AgDad121619 said:

Go Hunt has updated to include 2019 odds for Colorado - thinking about 751 any folks know that area at all?

There are no elk in Southern Colorado. They have all moved to Wyoming and Arizona.

751 is my neighbor. I've spent some time in there. What are you interested in knowing?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Before I apply for just preference points again for elk, anyone have a lead for a reputable outfitter in CO with availability? My place became unavailable...
Maverick06
AG
Have hunted mule deer in 751 before. Heavy snow the week before season screwed all my plans up.
cupofjoe04
AG
What kind of hunt you looking for?

Horseback backcountry or drop camp on public? Private ranch?

Is money no object, or are you trying to hit a budget?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Private ranch preferred. I've done a backcountry and it was fun, but would like to do another archery private land hunt. I'd also entertain a rifle hunt on private land. I only have 2 PP for elk and would like to build that to hunt a good unit in several years.

For budget, let's just assume it's within the normal range for a guided elk hunt in SW CO.

Does that help? If not, I can PM or my email is in my profile.

Thanks
AgDad121619
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

AgDad121619 said:

There are no elk in Southern Colorado. They have all moved to Wyoming and Arizona.

751 is my neighbor. I've spent some time in there. What are you interested in knowing?
. I want to hunt 1st rifle season and it shows to be 100% draw odds with a decent success rate- 23%Will be hunting with son and maybe me brother ( has a cabin in pagosa springs) We will be backpack hunting so not afraid to get a ways off of the road. I am also looking at unit 411 which has a nearly 50% success rate but a further drive. Not looking for specifics, just a general overview and whether you would recommend hunting it ( btw - you did a great write up when I asked about the units around Pagosa a few months back
cupofjoe04
AG
That does help.

Let me put some thought into it, and ask around a bit. I'm not quite as plugged into the private ranches as I am the backcountry outfitters, but I know a few. The 2 I would highly recommend both come at above average price tags (and nice lodges with awesome food). If that is something you are interested in, they are great experiences and good people. 2 very different types of hunts offered.
I know one that is affordable off the top of my head, but I probably wound't send a friend there to have a less than ideal chance at a scrub bull. I used to recommend the Crazy French ranch, and I killed a really nice bull there myself. But it has been several years, and I think it has gone downhill since we last were there.

I'll get back with you next week when I can come up for air.
cupofjoe04
AG
Just my .02 - 411 might be worth serious consideration. I don't know squat about the Delta area personally (so someone else may chime in with a better opinion), but if you are backpack hunting and not bound to the cabin, then I would pitch my tent where I have the best chance. If they are clipping them at 50%, that might really be worth checking out.

Much of what I said about hunting near Pagosa applies to 751 as well. They get a bit less out-of-state traffic, but make up for it with more "local" traffic from Durango/Bayfield. There are some drainages above Vallecito that hold elk- they are SUPER wary of people and get pressured a ton. Be quiet, easy on the call (I don't like calling, except very subtly when I am almost in their lap). A few years ago, I followed the feeder of Vallecito to the backside of Flag Mountain and found 2 nice herds with decent bulls. Nothing huge, but bulls I would have shot if my tag didn't say "Mule Deer- Buck" on it... I'm not sure exactly where the unit lines are on the west side, but I know Chicago Basin can hold elk too. But neither of those areas are secrets- so you are likely to see orange back there.

You might even consider hiking in somewhere off of 631 if you have access to a cabin in Pagosa. Granite Mountain is right on the line of 77/751, and if you could get between there and the Divide, you can find some elk. There is a migration route back in there. You will likely find a spot that is harder for most hunting 751 from the Durango side to get to. I have no clue how man people hunt 751 from Pagosa, it might be a highway of orange or a ghost town. Unit 77 is always full up there, though. Rifle 1 could be good if you are willing to walk. You will be potentially in for some brutal pack outs up that far, though. Expect it.

If you want more specifics, let me know and I'll share what I can. Not claiming any of this info is worth a penny more than you paid for it, though.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Greatly appreciated!
JeremiahJohnson
AG
If you ever want a trophy hunt (high fence) I can give you some great people. My uncle raised trophy elk for a many years and we have become friends with a couple of them. Both are in Idaho. I have been hunting with this guy Jake Sorensen for many years and we have become close. ( only once in his high fenced place.) He also does excellent elk taxidermy in the off season.

Ranch:
https://thundermountainelkranch.com/

Jake's Custom Taxidermy:

http://www.jakescustomtaxidermy.com/

AgDad121619
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

Just my .02 - 411 might be worth serious consideration. I don't know squat about the Delta area personally (so someone else may chime in with a better opinion), but if you are backpack hunting and not bound to the cabin, then I would pitch my tent where I have the best chance. If they are clipping them at 50%, that might really be worth checking out.

Much of what I said about hunting near Pagosa applies to 751 as well. They get a bit less out-of-state traffic, but make up for it with more "local" traffic from Durango/Bayfield. There are some drainages above Vallecito that hold elk- they are SUPER wary of people and get pressured a ton. Be quiet, easy on the call (I don't like calling, except very subtly when I am almost in their lap). A few years ago, I followed the feeder of Vallecito to the backside of Flag Mountain and found 2 nice herds with decent bulls. Nothing huge, but bulls I would have shot if my tag didn't say "Mule Deer- Buck" on it... I'm not sure exactly where the unit lines are on the west side, but I know Chicago Basin can hold elk too. But neither of those areas are secrets- so you are likely to see orange back there.

You might even consider hiking in somewhere off of 631 if you have access to a cabin in Pagosa. Granite Mountain is right on the line of 77/751, and if you could get between there and the Divide, you can find some elk. There is a migration route back in there. You will likely find a spot that is harder for most hunting 751 from the Durango side to get to. I have no clue how man people hunt 751 from Pagosa, it might be a highway of orange or a ghost town. Unit 77 is always full up there, though. Rifle 1 could be good if you are willing to walk. You will be potentially in for some brutal pack outs up that far, though. Expect it.

If you want more specifics, let me know and I'll share what I can. Not claiming any of this info is worth a penny more than you paid for it, though.
. Great info - much appreciated once I have had some time to study the maps and info you shared I will reach back out to you.
AgEng06
AG
GoHunt just put out an article with a bit of doom and gloom for CO mule deer...

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/what-happened-to-mule-deer-in-colorado-what-does-the-future-hold

You guys that are more connected up there, what do you think of this article?
LEJ
First of all... gohunt pisses me off sometimes. Proofread mfers! I pay these clowns and most of their stuff is riddled with this bullsht. Also, long winded AF.... Didn't finish, yet. Also, Shut up AgEng. I'm yelling at my OWN cloud.

#2.... the answer to his basic question is PRESSURE. I don't think this is even a bad thing

#3... in one breath he talks about low deer numbers then posts a chart which seems to indicate #s are stable, and certainly not declining necessarily.

Something else I forgot.
Post removed:
by user
BradMtn346
AgEng06 said:

GoHunt just put out an article with a bit of doom and gloom for CO mule deer...

https://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/what-happened-to-mule-deer-in-colorado-what-does-the-future-hold

You guys that are more connected up there, what do you think of this article?

2019 was just a strange year. Weather caused the feed to be great in areas it normally wasn't and that caused the deer to be in different areas at different times. Usually we see our last new deer mid November. They move through our place every fall. This year I was still seeing new deer in January. They stayed high as long as they possibly could, because there was good feed high. Only place that got rain late summer
harge57
AG
Colorado coming up.

Trying to determine if I should try to shoot for a Mule Deer or Elk tag with the 2nd draw. May be some sleeper 2nd choice units with all the changes this year.

I will likely already be in Wyoming during archery elk. My brother will have an elk tag and I will have early season mule deer.

Thinking of trying to get a tag in an area that I would use 4-5 points for mule deer or archery elk in the next year or two to get familiar with the unit.
Post removed:
by user
AgEng06
AG
Looks like we may have the first instance of hunting actually being affected by this ordeal...

ALERT: Idaho Suspends the Sale of Nonresident Hunting Permit/Licenses due to COVID-19
BullSprig07
AG
jayelbee said:

So far, I think I like first rifle on the limited draw to hopefully keep some of the competition down. It looks like 2nd and 3rd seasons turn into a **** show because of the longer seasons and DIY tags.

I have had that same thought, I don't know those particular units but there are some where the amount of first rifle tags issued in the draw essentially make for just as many hunters as the OTC seasons. Not the case for every unit but I hunted first rifle in 2018 in unit 24 and it may as well have been 2nd or 3rd as far as amount of hunters out there.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
AgEng06 said:

Looks like we may have the first instance of hunting actually being affected by this ordeal...

ALERT: Idaho Suspends the Sale of Nonresident Hunting Permit/Licenses due to COVID-19

Saw that. Hopefully the lift it before my bear hunt in June.
stdeb11
AG
I went on a scouting trip to 82 for archery and got my butt kicked, but I was a bit overly ambitious/dumb about it. I didn't end up hunting 82, it but I did a fair amount of research and called the biologist there who was super helpful. I've got a bunch of notes I can share but calling him might be best as I don't want to influence you based on what my thoughts were. Should be fairly easy to track him down thru CPW (I think the Monte vista office and his name is Conrad)

For some more reading, here's two really good reports out there that I dug up on 82.
https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/DAU/Elk/E11_DAUplan_SandDunesElkHerd.pdf

https://www.wafwa.org/Documents%20and%20Settings/37/Site%20Documents/Deer%20Elk%20Workshop/2007%20Estes%20Park%20CO%20Deer%20and%20Elk%20Workshop/2007%20Estes%20Park%20CO%20Deer%20and%20Elk%20Workshop/Elk%20Movements%20in%20Response%20to%20Hunting%20Pressure.pdf

And that's all I've got on 82. I may go try to do another trip into 82 this summer for fun and revenge in case i decide to change units again, but see how it goes.

Edit: It's steep nasty country. The elevation gain outta the dunes/baca is no joke. And it's steep. But beautiful.
LEJ
Colo apps due tomorrow by 8pm MOUNTAIN Time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.