Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,651 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
aggie0959
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Loaded up and headed north. elk and bear for us in CO 63
mneisch
AG
Awesome bull, especially with a bow. Congrats!
AgEng06
AG
I agree. He knew exactly what he was doing.

We actually saw what I presume was the same bear a couple hours earlier. We left camp and headed into town to get a hot dinner, and saw him off the side of the forest service road checking out a vacated camp (about 1/4 mile from our camp). He was a smaller bear (maybe 150ish pounds), but obviously he hangs out around the camping areas.

We talked to another hunter that had a bear (presumably this same one) get after one of his gas cans over night.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Good luck
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

I agree. He knew exactly what he was doing.

We actually saw what I presume was the same bear a couple hours earlier. We left camp and headed into town to get a hot dinner, and saw him off the side of the forest service road checking out a vacated camp (about 1/4 mile from our camp). He was a smaller bear (maybe 150ish pounds), but obviously he hangs out around the camping areas.

We talked to another hunter that had a bear (presumably this same one) get after one of his gas cans over night.
I would reckon you guys are right, and that bear is living on borrowed time if he keeps that up.
Aggie_3
cupofjoe04 said:

congrats on the cow!

Thats a nasty looking infection... hopefully hadn't spread anywhere.

I took a bull one time, and while we were taking off a hindquarter, I noticed the meat looked pink and slimy the closer to the ball joint we got. When we finally got down there, we found a broad head with an aluminum arrow attached! He had broken the arrow off just under his skin on the far side. Most of that hind quarter was infected...

Dropped the meat off with the processor in Thayne Wyoming 30 minutes ago and they confirmed meat is good on that quarter thank goodness
aggie0959
We are trying to use up all our bad luck so we have good luck when we get there.
stdeb11
AG
For anyone who has a tag for the Front Range this season

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/arp/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD831612
cupofjoe04
AG
BTHO trailers...
lazuras_dc
AG
Looks like opening day for us will be pleasant then its going to be a cold/rainy/snowy rest of Rifle 2. If that's gets the elk moving and us tagged out I won't complain.
mneisch
AG
Yep, I'm thinking the weather change will really have animals moving. I can deal with the cold, just hope it isn't as windy as last year.
BurrOak
AG
Quote:

LEJ - may the username RIP

What's the story here?
AgEng06
AG
I'm pretty sure he found a way to get himself banned... again. Not sure if he'll be back this time.
AgLA06
AG
mneisch said:

Yep, I'm thinking the weather change will really have animals moving. I can deal with the cold, just hope it isn't as windy as last year.

This was my thinking. Now the forecast is -10 low Monday. Suddenly doubt is creeping in.
aggie0959
Well I messed up a little. They capped the bear tags so it is just bulls for us
cupofjoe04
AG
AgEng06 said:

I'm pretty sure he found a way to get himself banned... again. Not sure if he'll be back this time.

So do we take a vote on who starts this thread next year? Did he knight someone and bestow upon them all powers that be? We didn't talk about it the last time we sat down for lunch.

We cannot let 2020 steal this from us too!!!
mneisch
AG
Hot tamale. Lowest it's forecasted to get where we are is 18.
AgLA06
AG
We'll be 1000' higher so probably another 5 colder.
AgEng06
AG
Whew, you boys are making me glad I got in and out during archery season.
mneisch
AG
Colorado bound. Hit the road at 3am to hopefully arrive by supper.
Aggie_3
opening day in Montana is shaping up to be pretty western! Just parked at the trail head it's blowing 19-20mph and snowing sideways. We are going to try and use the weather to our advantage to get close to a herd of cow elk we have seen both days and the guy we are up here with is on the north side of the mountain going after a trophy bull that he has seen 3 years in a row and found him again the last 2 days he's probably a 330 score atleast bull. Only 4 total elk hunters up here but there's a ton of deer hunters hunting the low land around this mountain.
BradMtn346
aggie0959 said:

Well I messed up a little. They capped the bear tags so it is just bulls for us

Are you sure they are out? Usually there are a lot of tags for 53/63.
aggie0959
Ya we finally founds some. Has to go to the parks office in Crawford.

Saw 2 cow and 2 calf. Not really hearing gun shots. We are at 9500ft. It's a hell of a hike and 2 miles from ranger.
Maverick06
AG
I'm on the board boys. Blood drawn opening morning of mule deer season up here in CO. Story will have to come later.
cupofjoe04
AG
Maverick06 said:

I'm on the board boys. Blood drawn opening morning of mule deer season up here in CO. Story will have to come later.

Heck yeah! Congrats!!!
AgEng06
AG
Congrats man! Looking forward to the pics and report.
BradMtn346
I'm not hunting this season. Really. My regular 2nd season guys are here. They are on the board for 3 cows. Saw a legal bull. No bull tags. CO 63
BradMtn346
aggie0959 said:

Ya we finally founds some. Has to go to the parks office in Crawford.

Saw 2 cow and 2 calf. Not really hearing gun shots. We are at 9500ft. It's a hell of a hike and 2 miles from ranger.

Interested to know where you are staying and hunting. I live in 63. I'll help if I can. My guys only hunt private.
mneisch
AG
Buddy killed an absolute toad mule deer this evening. Pack out was brutal. I'll get pictures posted when possible.
rather be fishing
AG
Checking in from Sanders County, MT. No draw hunting for me, just resident license. Yesterday with 10"+ of fresh snow was brutal. Saw a young bull moose, no deer or elk.

Have a place in going to go sit on this afternoon. Lots of fresh deer tracks.
aggie0959
We are staying on dryer creek on 800 acres. We have access to forest at cathedral. We have been hiking up every morning to 9400ft but not seeing much. Just a couple cows. We are not really hearing a lot of shots either. We hope that this storm might bring them down to the private. Hearing a few shots on the back side of cathedral. We were thinking about hiking over the top but that means we have to pack back if we kill.
mneisch
AG
Winter is here. We just hiked out the second trip of meat from my buddy's mule deer and probably had 2" fall on us in the 3 miles. I think they're saying another 8+ tonight, so tomorrow ought to be a good hunt.
BradMtn346
aggie0959 said:

We are staying on dryer creek on 800 acres. We have access to forest at cathedral. We have been hiking up every morning to 9400ft but not seeing much. Just a couple cows. We are not really hearing a lot of shots either. We hope that this storm might bring them down to the private. Hearing a few shots on the back side of cathedral. We were thinking about hiking over the top but that means we have to pack back if we kill.
. Who's place? You are hunting on one of my neighbors. Just curious who. Harris or Ayers are the only ones that have that much ground up Dyer.
aggie0959
Harris
aggie0959
Email me at Aggie 0959 @ yahoo and if you have any advice we have WiFi at the cabin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.