Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,721 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
agenjake
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That would be awesome, thanks.
agenjake
Yep. Something along the lines of 3 days chasing antelope then the first 5-6 days of deer season.
mneisch
AG
Anyone have a preferred way of carrying a rifle while backpack hunting? I'm eyeing the Kifaru Gun Bearer, but unsure how I will like the gun under my armpit. The Mystery Ranch sling looks slick but gets generally bad reviews. Kuiu and Stone Glacier both have options that I'm considering as well. This will be used on a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45.
CTGilley
AG
Following

I have the same pack. I always keep it slung on my shoulder. When I am packing out, o strap it to the side.
BullSprig07
AG
I have the Kifaru gun bearer and would recommend. Used it with an SJK pack and an Exo.
DG96
AG
I like the Kifaru gun bearer as welL. It's the best I have used. Over 40 miles the last two seasons and I hardly notice the rifle. Quick access and easy to control if hiking through heavy cover.
Birdbear
AG
I sling it over my shoulder then clip the backpack chest strap over the sling. Don't have to hold the gun in place and it never slips off. I have a gun holder backpack attachment (stone glacier) but have never used it.
LEJ
mneisch said:

Anyone have a preferred way of carrying a rifle while backpack hunting? I'm eyeing the Kifaru Gun Bearer, but unsure how I will like the gun under my armpit. The Mystery Ranch sling looks slick but gets generally bad reviews. Kuiu and Stone Glacier both have options that I'm considering as well. This will be used on a Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45.

The Kifaru Gun Bearer is as good as, or better, than the next set of bare breasts you will see.
lazuras_dc
AG
I was hesitant on the gun bearer as wel due to odd positioning. but it worked well. I attached rifle to side of my back hiking in/out of camp. But whilst hunting it was in the gun bearer and didn't seem to hurt me and seemed like it was in a good position if I would have had an opportunity to shoot.
aggie0959
Interesting website about renting gear and guns.
www.rgunsngear.com

Don't know if the prices are fair but the gear they have for use is primo stuff.

The guy was on the hunt backcountry podcast a short while back.
hbc07
AG
hbc07 said:

Well, did not realize the 6pm central cutoff time for NM. For some reason expected to have until midnight. I'm kind of fine with that though since with everything going on I don't know if it'd be the best use of funds at the moment.

Still somewhat considering Oregon Elk since I'd be able to get out with a close friend if either one of us got a tag, but the money factor is lingering in the back of my mind.
In hindsight... this was a good thing. Had to take a pay cut in order to keep business open, and our revenue has dropped to 5-10% of what it was and our work volume is not expected to be restored until September at the earliest when it will be an absolute avalanche of everything we couldn't work on from March-September. The odds of being able to take any PTO from September to December are essentially 0.
AgEng06
AG
For us archery guys, Remi Warren's Cutting the Distance podcast episode #47 has a lot of good info about shooting/practicing for shots in the field. It's definitely worth the hour to listen to it:

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/cutting-the-distance/ep-47-archery-practice-that-actually-translates-to-success-in-the-field
AgDad121619
AG
I'm doing an inventory of clothing I need and I already have a lot of deer stuff - I know I need boots and rain gear but here is what I have already - looking for recommendations on what I need additional and/or To replace:

Scent Lock polyester pants / zip up shirt ( can I get by with this versus 1st lite or Sitka wool?)
Polar weight Cabela's base layer
Banded zip up or pullover fleece ( which one should I take?)
Banded semi puffy vest ( synthetic fill)
Lightweight Ol Tom polyester pants
Columbia polyester hunting pants ( for back up)

Will be hunting 1st rifle in Co. - Oct 10-14

I don't have a full down jacket - just the vest listed above
lazuras_dc
AG
Depending on your budget I highly recommend wool stuff. See eBay for used first lite, kuiu, Sitka.

I did first rifle Co last year and got by with long sleeve and long pant wool base layers (minus33 brand from amazon) and a wool beanie, darn tough wool socks, a first lite mid weight quarter zip top, corrugate guide pant. I had a vest and a puffy jacket for night / mornings.
AgDad121619
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Depending on your budget I highly recommend wool stuff. See eBay for used first lite, kuiu, Sitka.

I did first rifle Co last year and got by with long sleeve and long pant wool base layers (minus33 brand from amazon) and a wool beanie, darn tough wool socks, a first lite mid weight quarter zip top, corrugate guide pant. I had a vest and a puffy jacket for night / mornings.
did you go midweight or expedition weight on minus 33 base layer?
stdeb11
AG
That was a great listen and motivated me to do a round of 15 arrows held for 30+ seconds this morning....and I learned I should be doing that a lot more often
AgEng06
AG
Same here. I tried to do that half-squat shot he talks about, and it was... not good.
lazuras_dc
AG
AgDad121619 said:

lazuras_dc said:

did you go midweight or expedition weight on minus 33 base layer?
Pretty sure it was mid or lower (base layer thermal pant). Not the expedition.
stdeb11
AG
Second trip out to the range with the muzzleloader this morning. The first trip learned a lot, mainly that I had to re-do my sights...got it dialed in at 100yds today and pretty darn pleased. Ready for antelope season!

stdeb11
AG
Dammit...I applied for a CO leftover/2nd draw buck tag to take friend out who is new to CO. Plan was, we both get buck tags and he gets a cow tag as we've seen cow elk a couple times in the area. Well he forgot to apply.

And now I'm actually rooting that I don't draw so I can explore somewhere new...that's a new feeling
Post removed:
by user
AgLA06
AG
Where are you located?
Post removed:
by user
AgLA06
AG
My wife is going to hate me, but what's a good email? I might be talked into a OTC hunt this year.
agenjake
Another successful Texags hookup.
Post removed:
by user
AgLA06
AG
Emailed
AgDad121619
AG
jayelbee said:

I've been watching this thread with excitement all year, but I fell off for the last several weeks in frustration when I got my email from Colorado about not drawing for Elk. After sleeping on it for a while I still wanna get out on the damn mountain to chase these guys.

Are there any experienced hunters here that would be willing to take on a stowaway along for a hunt or a long scouting trip? I'd love an opportunity to get out with someone who knows what they are doing and would be willing to mentor a new western hunter so that I'd be in a better position for next year. Plus, an extra set of eyes and a strong back are always handy to have around.

Not sure what season /unit you put in for, but I was able to draw a tag for 1st rifle with no preference points. I took the board advice and joined GoHunt which worked out great. They updated all units with the 2019 draw odds before the application date and I picked 4 units that all had 100% draw odds. My son and I both got our 1st choice. We are complete noobies so we decided just going was more important than getting a preference point/ hard to draw unit. The info in there includes success rates for the different seasons , tips on spots to consider within the unit and more. Well worth the $125 - I got $50 of it back when I ordered my boots through their online shop.
Post removed:
by user
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Anybody gotten their paper co nr elk tags yet? Buddy of mine got his in Michigan but I haven't gotten mine yet (in Houston)
AgEng06
AG
I got my archery NR elk tag about a week ago, in the Austin area.
AgDad121619
AG
It was in my mailbox this past Monday. Son got his same day
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
darn, guess I'll wait another week then reach out
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
tag finally arrived. Guess it took a little while to reroute with an address change. Now I just need to get in shape!
mneisch
AG
What's everyone using for a rifle rest? I'm torn between a bipod, or a couple of other different options. Last year I didn't carry anything and regret that. Still ended up bagging my mulie but want something better this year.

Option 1. Spartan Javelin bipod
Pros: Light, easily removed from the rifle while hiking, looks cool, stable
Cons: Spendy, limited pretty much to prone shooting only (hard for uphill, downhill and in tall grass)

Option 2. Wiser quick-stix
Pros: Cheap, easy to mount to poles, always available
Cons: Not as stable as other options, don't always carry hiking poles with me when stalking

Option 3. Arca swiss mount on rifle
Pros: Very stable, cheap, already carry my tripod everywhere
Cons: Permanent modification to rifle

Any thoughts from those with more experience?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.