Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,563 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
Pignorant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Appreciate the input.

The guy at the bow shop where I was fitted said I needed to be closer to 65 pounds which seemed a bit much.
shaynew1
AG
Well if he didn't put any emphasis on the arrow build I might discount his opinion a little.
harge57
AG
shaynew1 said:

Well if he didn't put any emphasis on the arrow build I might discount his opinion a little.
Agreed. Did you ask the guy how elk are killed with trad bows shooting 150 fps? The answer is the correct heavy arrow set up shot at appropriate distances.
lazuras_dc
AG
It's not about hitting the weight room. I pull 70lbs Pretty easy after a few years of shooting (first bow started at 55 lbs. 3 years ago ) and I'm a huge wuss by weight room standards. my buddy who'd be considered "built", does a lot of lifting, CrossFit , etc struggles to pull 70.
CTGilley
AG
Crossfit is not is just modern aerobics without leg warmers.

I always left mine at 65lbs only because I found it more enjoyable to shoot and my old bow has very little let off. If If I was going after Elk I would bump it up.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
lazuras_dc said:

It's not about hitting the weight room. I pull 70lbs Pretty easy after a few years of shooting (first bow started at 55 lbs. 3 years ago ) and I'm a huge wuss by weight room standards. my buddy who'd be considered "built", does a lot of lifting, CrossFit , etc struggles to pull 70.
It is a lot about conditioning the specific muscle groups in your shoulders and back. Shooting regularly is one of the best things to help improve your strength.

There are a few exercises that will help you with stability and strength when shooting a bow, but traditional weight lifting and shoulder/back exercises have almost no impact on the ability to pull and hold a bow.
LEJ
I've become a big believer in really putting some time and effort into an "optimized" Arrow build.... optimum weight, FOC, spine and "efficiency".

I've harped on here before about the "Ashby studies" and I'll do it again now. His research involves a lot more than what some people think. It's not all about extreme FOC and heavy single bevel 2 blade broadheads... although I am now firmly in the camp of using an arrow setup with a more aggressive FOC (20% for me) and 2 blade single bevel broad heads on micro diameter shafts as well.

The "efficiency" part of it is something everyone should look into if you're thinking about taking longer shots (40 yards imo) at big game.

With my setup, the natural rotation of my arrow when released is counterclockwise or "left". This is solely due to how your string is twisted. There's an easy way to determine orientation. You just need to sacrifice the fletching on one of your shafts.

I now only shoot shafts fletched with a left wing orientation and single bevel 2 blade broad heads with a "left hand" orientation.

The resulting improvements in accuracy and penetration have been significant, which improves confidence... an intangible that cannot be overstated.

I used to shoot 55#. I've been shooting 70# for a couple years now and am pretty much maxed out there.

The most effective way to get used to such an increase for me has been steady and consistent practice. When I lay off for too long (a week for me), I struggle for a while, especially past 40.

Shooting a "better" bow also helps a ton.
Pignorant
AG
Just checked.

31 inch arrow, 400 grain.
lazuras_dc
AG
How do you determine weight of arrow and FOC?

I shoot a Black Eagle rampage with a 100gr fixed blade broadhead and a nockturnal nock. I can't seem to find a whole lot of info online that's easy to figure how many grains total I could estimate. Shaft is 27.25" and there's a half inch metal insert the broadhead goes into.
LEJ
https://www.ashbybowhunting.org/ashby-reports

Scroll down. Click on the sub-heading... "Understanding and applying FOC". Page 5... outlined in red.

You can have your archery shop guy simply weigh your complete hunting arrow or find out the grains per inch (gpi) of the shaft you shoot and then multiply that by arrow length and then add in the weight of all the other components to get a total weight (nock, inserts, broadhead, fletching, etc). My Victory Gamers have the gpi written on the shaft.
ClassicDane
AG
Here for the great stories and a little OB knowledge!
Trying to plan a 2020 hunt for my brother ('03) and I ('06).
LEJ
Recent Wolves in Colo article

https://www.gohunt.com/read/news/wolves-spotted-in-colorado#gs.ta3s9g

On an unrelated note, I just got invited to join a group on a spring bear rifle hunt in Wyoming. OTC, Public, non-Wilderness. Anyone here done this hunt or have any comments?
cupofjoe04
AG
LEJ said:

It's a pretty hot debate right now. With lots of pressure from environmental groups in the Denver area & from California to force wolf reintroduction. Lots of push back from the people who will actually have to live around and deal with the repercussions. This finding flies in the face of the reintroduction group's continued claims that "there are currently no wolves in CO, and there should be". They seem to ignore this finding
shaynew1
AG
LEJ said:

On an unrelated note, I just got invited to join a group on a spring bear rifle hunt in Wyoming. OTC, Public, non-Wilderness. Anyone here done this hunt or have any comments?

My only comment is you better go
shaynew1
AG
Tonight I'm smashed. I love you guys. Baby coming pronto. I can't pull my bow back. Seeing an orthopedist next week. Fight me
shaynew1
AG
Going to see an ortho about a grade 3 ac separation (and I hope nothing else) this week.

I've got enough points to grab a muzzleloader tag in the spot I hunted last fall, but I was really hoping to shoot my recurve all year.

Since I'm getting old I'm probably going to do exactly what the dr says.

I feel like we draw the coveted gila tag now.

LEJ
Gonna need full back story before I can sympathize or chastise.
shaynew1
AG
I don't even have a story. Shoulder pain has gotten progressively worse for nearly four months and I finally decided to address it starting w an X-ray.

I can remember getting roughed up at work a couple times but nothing traumatic.

I was replacing a cable on my bow a little while back and was barely able to shoot three arrows through paper. Realizing that now September is in jeopardy I decided it was time to do something about it.
harge57
AG
Worst case you can shoot with a mouth tab.

harge57
AG
arrow said:

I'm considering all options: apply with outfitter, general tag, or throwing my name in the hat for a limited entry tag. 5 points.
Have you decided on what you will be doing? Trying to finalize our app strategy and still looking for someone applying for general tag with extra points.
BradMtn346
shaynew1 said:

I don't even have a story. Shoulder pain has gotten progressively worse for nearly four months and I finally decided to address it starting w an X-ray.

I can remember getting roughed up at work a couple times but nothing traumatic.

I was replacing a cable on my bow a little while back and was barely able to shoot three arrows through paper. Realizing that now September is in jeopardy I decided it was time to do something about it.

Been there and done that. Got the t-shirt.

My shoulder kept getting worse. Stopped shooting my bow. Finally went to the doctor. He suggested physical therapy as a first option. I tried it. It worked. Well. For what was wrong with me. But I committed to do the exercises every day.

All I'm saying is don't write it off if the doc suggests it. Better than a knife.
cupofjoe04
AG
BradMtn346 said:

All I'm saying is don't write it off if the doc suggests it. Better than a knife.

This right here.

I have avoided surgery twice with nothing but prescribed physical therapy and prayer. Once on a partially torn rotator cuff.
shaynew1
AG
I'm gon listen to the doctor.

I've been pretty serious w the band work and lacrosse ball the last month. I hope he's got something good to add that I haven't been doing.
arrow
AG
No Wyoming decision yet. I just got back from Sheep Show and my head is spinning. Just to be clear, you're just looking for a points boost, not a hunting partner?

LEJ
- Busted shoulders
- Babies
- Mouth tabs
- Points pals
- Sheep show

We're dealing with a lotta sheet here!
shaynew1
AG
dont forget spring bear planning
harge57
AG
Correct. Just need a point boost. We have 2.5 points which was 100% last year but who knows with point creep this year. Should be right at the cutoff.
Pignorant
AG
Anyone have a good experience or recommendation with an Idaho outfitter?
shaynew1
AG
The ortho's initial assessment is rehab should get everything turned around. Everything has been too inflamed and tight for all the previous rehab movement to profit me much. Got a steroid shot to hopefully calm everything back down and get everything back into place with mo rehab.

Apparently the first couple hours has some numbing goodness in it and I felt 10/10 23 years old walking to my truck. So I'm pretty hopeful. ~Six weeks I intend to be flinging feathered arrows!
stdeb11
AG
Anyone putting in for AZ? Started researching options last night. Realistically won't go on a hunt there for another couple years, but still a slim chance I could get lucky.

Trying to avoid the debacle that happened last year trying to apply the day of.
Alta
AG
I've done a lot of research here lately and am going with Mile High Outfitters. No first hand experience though.

Steve Zettel and Dave Melton also looked very good.

A poster here went with Flying B and had a great looking trip but they are booked through 2021.
LEJ
AZ is becoming a big part of my western hunting mid-long term planning. If you want to bow hunt mule deer right now (literally) go to AZ.
AgEng06
AG
LEJ said:

AZ is becoming a big part of my western hunting mid-long term planning. If you want to bow hunt mule deer right now (literally) go to AZ.
LEJ
Do yo know how hard it is to kill a mule deer with a bow?
AgEng06
AG
I do.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.