Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

106,781 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
harge57
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I share a gohunt account, and would recommend it if you are just getting into it, or if you are applying in multiple states.

If you are familiar with the draw and only apply in 1 or 2 states you can get what you need from the state websites. It definitely makes it easier though.

But I use it more as a time waster and doing what if scenarios then actually informing my in year applications.
stdeb11
AG
Great questions. No idea on the youth thing. I would assume it's all completely random and can only draw one tag, but just guesses. If I bump into someone from CPW next week I'll see it they know anything
BradMtn346
The youth thing is 15% of all doe antelope, either sex or doe deer, and cow elk tags are allocated to youth, as long as they are not applying as a group, in the first drawing. In the second drawing, youth receive 15% of all the tags, regardless of sex.

The second draw will work just like the first without preference points. You cannot get or use a point in that draw.
LEJ
I've emailed the gohunt guys with specific questions and always received the experienced info I was after. Response time varies by season but that's to be expected.
BradMtn346
Colorado used to have a leftover draw option that was only available to those that put in for the first draw. That is now gone. Now there is a second draw, for everything that was not drawn by everyone's first, second, third and fourth choice in the first draw. It is open to everyone. It does not use or generate preferences points. If you need advice on the drawings, gohunt has been mentioned. I'm happy to help for free.
LEJ
Do you think people are going to burn elk points on a unit like 77 (that was previously OTC) for archery?

Do you think they'll have to?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'm definitely going to be texting you in the next week or so. Specifically for antelope and hopefully for elk, if I can find a place...
BradMtn346
I'm here.
meggy09
AG
I'm a CO resident, and familiar with the cluster F of leftover day how it used to be. I was really just curious how the actual leftover draw is going to work. Like, do you make 4 picks again in order of preference, would they look at all 4 picks on the first pass? Or can you apply for as many as you want to pay $9 for, but what if you draw multiple? How do they determine what 15% get set aside for youth, there are usually a handful of tags on the leftover list that take 5+ points to draw.
BradMtn346
meggy09 said:

I'm a CO resident, and familiar with the cluster F of leftover day how it used to be. I was really just curious how the actual leftover draw is going to work. Like, do you make 4 picks again in order of preference, would they look at all 4 picks on the first pass? Or can you apply for as many as you want to pay $9 for, but what if you draw multiple? How do they determine what 15% get set aside for youth, there are usually a handful of tags on the leftover list that take 5+ points to draw.

From what I read, 15% of everything, all hunt codes in the second draw get youth preference. It has been a while since I participated in the leftover draw, but it worked just like the first one without points. Random draw on everyone's first choice. If there were still tags left, random draw on everyone's second choice, and so on until tags are gone.

The only thing that changed is who can participate.
BradMtn346
LEJ said:

Do you think people are going to burn elk points on a unit like 77 (that was previously OTC) for archery?

This is a tougher question that is going to take a lot more digging. I'll do some looking and try to find out.

My WAG is, not at first, but that will slowly change.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I keep a Huntin Fool and GoHunt account. I like Gohunts webpage the best, but Huntin Fools magazine is top notch. Also I can call them and discuss units. I have hunted with one of their editors and he is good people.

Huntinfool.com
cupofjoe04
AG
BradMtn346 said:

LEJ said:

This is a tougher question that is going to take a lot more digging. I'll do some looking and try to find out.

My WAG is, not at first, but that will slowly change.

I think this is right.

People will burn points on it (I think sooner than later). Wether they SHOULD is an entirely different question. I also guess there are going to be more than a few people who drive up here next fall expecting to go to Wal-Mart and grab an elk archery tag, only to wind up cussing out the guy running the sporting goods counter. And I'll be just fine with those nimrods (in both senses of the word) not making it into the woods- though I imagine some will try and poach.

I'm wondering if it will cut down on some of the points required for other units, or on point creep? I doubt it- becaise I guess the majority of those using points for newly-OTC units were likely not previously trying to draw in high point units.
Alta
AG
I have a buddy who has hunted in a former OTC Archery unit all of his life (grew up and lives in SW Colorado). He has a dozen or so points he has been accumulating. I know he will not be burning his points for the now draw units. He is hoping that he will be able to draw with his second choice (which apparently doesn't burn the points). If that doesn't work he will just go with buddies and help them get elk (lucky for his friends like me) and hunt with his muzzleloader when that season rolls. Once he draws the unit that he has been building points for then he will just try to draw his home unit every year. Anyways, sample size of one but this is his plan.
LEJ
Agreed
cupofjoe04
AG
This is exactly my plan. I am building points to hunt 76 some day. No way I'm sacrificing that to hunt 77 (where I live) which is now draw. I saw some freaking TOADS in 76 last year, scouting and helping a buddy who drew that tag. He shot a smaller bull a few hours into opening day, but he was happy.

I'll just hunt whatever I can get with 2nd Choice/2nd Draw, and continue building. Instead of hunting locally, I was already planning on trying to draw a cow tag in another unit this year, even before they announced the changes. By in large, it has gotten to be a circus here during OTC seasons.
arrow
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

I also guess there are going to be more than a few people who drive up here next fall expecting to go to Wal-Mart and grab an elk archery tag, only to wind up cussing out the guy running the sporting goods counter. And I'll be just fine with those nimrods (in both senses of the word) not making it into the woods- though I imagine some will try and poach.

Haha. THIS!

My guess is this year you'll be able to draw most of the previous OTC tags as a second choice. I don't plan to use my points for these units. Not yet anyways.

I'm hoping these changes simply make people commit to hunting elk in Colorado in April, instead of being everyone in the worlds back-up plan. Which should reduce hunting pressure in September.
LEJ
Agreed
meggy09
AG
BradMtn346 said:

meggy09 said:

From what I read, 15% of everything, all hunt codes in the second draw get youth preference. It has been a while since I participated in the leftover draw, but it worked just like the first one without points. Random draw on everyone's first choice. If there were still tags left, random draw on everyone's second choice, and so on until tags are gone.

The only thing that changed is who can participate.

Didn't read all the new posts. Disregard.
JeremiahJohnson
AG

Out of my Huntin Fool Mag
BradMtn346
Colorado is up and working.
LEJ
5 hours on the road. 5 more hours on the puter. That sounds like a solid day.
shaynew1
AG
You have to work this time of year so you can play the other time of year.
LEJ
I like to keep an even keel.
shaynew1
AG
I fiddle when I can and work when I should
LEJ
I got plenty of time now!
shaynew1
AG
Break down twenty miles closer next time and I'll buy lunch
TexasAg2017
AG
Missed out on last year but I'm for sure dipping my feet in this year. Going for Wyoming Speed goats or possibly Montana.

If I miss out on either of those I'm also interested in tagging along to learn and help pack stuff out.
LEJ
LEJ
shaynew1 said:

Break down twenty miles closer next time and I'll buy lunch
LEJ
It's Western... trust me on this.

AgEng06
AG
Have you guys seen any info, or have any sources, on projected number of tags for CO elk archery draws in the SW units? Since this is the first year, I know there won't be any draw odds information, but I'm just curious if there have been tag quota numbers released.
LEJ
No, but I need to get on that, stat.
BradMtn346
I went looking the other day. I dug pretty deep, and what I found is that it has not been finalized yet. They will not finalize the tag numbers until the May commission meeting.

Probably the only way to get a clue is to call the local biologist and ask what they are recommending.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks for the reply.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.