Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,713 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
JeremiahJohnson
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have the Arca on my current setup. I like it so far.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Take an old leather glove and cut 2 fingers off with about an inch of material connecting them. When you get to camp or your setup that doesn't have a decent rest, cut two saplings the same length and stick them in the fingers. Voila, shooting sticks

Edit4 dang i guess i turned old... can't figure out how to post pics...

https://m.imgur.com/a/fiHTjgy
mneisch
AG
Which panhead are you using? My Promaster is rated for 6 something pounds, which is less than my rifle weighs. Just want to make sure that won't present an issue for me.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Really Right stuff SOAR. It is bomb proof but heavy
stdeb11
AG
I've got the cheapo CV life off Amazon. Works ok but also shoot off my pack a fair amount. I'd like to upgrade sometime soon so interested in the recommendations.
mneisch
AG
I decided on option 3, mounting an ARCA swiss plate on my rifle. Price can't be beat and the stability should be great. Not super excited about having to drill out the stock to install it, but guns are tools right? Should look like this.

stdeb11
AG
CO leftover list is out!

I'm like a kid in a candy store looking at the tags, however I know the website will just crash and I'll miss out on anything good...but hey, I can dream
AgLA06
AG
stdeb11 said:

CO leftover list is out!

I'm like a kid in a candy store looking at the tags, however I know the website will just crash and I'll miss out on anything good...but hey, I can dream

Very interesting......
mneisch
AG
Whelp arca swiss plate didn't fit on my Promaster panhead. Don't want to replace the head, so if anyone is looking for a rifle mounted plate let me know.
meggy09
AG
Man, I think I screwed up on my tags. Second trip out, not going crazy but driving the units. Seeing nothing but elk/pronghorn in my deer unit and nothing but deer in my elk unit.

If you have an elk or pronghorn tag for 3 or 301 hit me up.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
rifle or are you bowhiking? Don't worry, those critters are going to move a lot in the next 2 months
meggy09
AG
I've got 1st rifle bull elk in 21/22/30/31/32 and 3rd rifle doe deer in 3/301.

I'm not real worried, would be nice to be seeing SOME of the target animal, mainly checking access and terrain. I am getting a little tired of seeing fat pronghorn just lounging on the side of the road though.

I'm probably really bad at judging pronghorn, but had a buck 30 yards from my truck grazing that probably had a shot at making book.
mneisch
AG
Anyone using a call phone digiscope adapter they are happy with? Phone skope is most popular, but the Tines Up Universal PhoneCam looks to be really well made and doesn't require updating if I change optics. Rokslide seems to be a fan of it.

https://tinesup.com/store/#!/CUSTOM-Universal-PhoneCam-Kit-Includes-Universal-Adapter/p/117470484/category=33887668
BullSprig07
AG
totally owned by the cpw website trying to snag a leftover pronghorn tag today.
stdeb11
AG
Well I guess I made up for a crappy draw year with a heck of a leftover day. Scooped up the cow tag, buck tag, and bear tag I wanted....I'm slightly suspicious it's not a website fluke considering how few there were of them

DG96
AG
I picked up an archery mule deer tag. Just what I need another tag. Tags are like crack, addicting.
stdeb11
AG
Have you been to 21? Or planning to go there? I've never been but just picked up a 2nd rifle buck tag there.
cupofjoe04
AG
mneisch said:

Anyone using a call phone digiscope adapter they are happy with? Phone skope is most popular, but the Tines Up Universal PhoneCam looks to be really well made and doesn't require updating if I change optics. Rokslide seems to be a fan of it.

https://tinesup.com/store/#!/CUSTOM-Universal-PhoneCam-Kit-Includes-Universal-Adapter/p/117470484/category=33887668

My wife just got me one off of amazon for my birthday, because the phone scopes are expensive and model specific.
I can't remember the brand, and it isn't printed on the unit. But I guess I'm saying, don't overthink it. This thing works pretty well, and lines the camera up with the binos or spotter. Adjusts to different eye pieces by tuning.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
what cow tag did you grab, if you don't mind me asking? There was one available for our unit/season and a buddy tried to get it but it went right at the bell. the digits in our unit add up to 11, if you want to be super sneaky
AgEng06
AG
FYI, there is an Amazon exclusive deal on the Phone Skope universal phone case and adapters.

Amazon Phone Skope

From Phone Skope, the universal phone case is $49.99. In this deal you get the case plus one of the universal adapters of your choosing, or both adapters for $79.99.

On the PS website, the universal case plus one adapter is $88.98.

I wanted everything Prime, so I bought the universal phone case and both adapters for $88.98, basically getting one adapter for free.
stdeb11
AG
I went two years ago and bagged a cow so I know the unit some. Plus it's the only way I'll ever get to hunt out there....there were only 3 tags so I was highly surprised it was left when I went back for round 3 of leftovers
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
cool, congrats/good luck!
stdeb11
AG
Thanks! Y'all too!
mneisch
AG
All of y'all buying leftover tags, do you live in Colorado or just plan on taking multiple trips for all the different seasons?
stdeb11
AG
I live in CO....I buy tags and ask for forgiveness from the wife later
meggy09
AG
I haven't hunted it before and haven't been out yet this year. I plan to focus mainly on 32 and 21 for my 1R rifle bull so it's on the list to get into. There was a post on go hunt with a first timer from out of state that took a 4x5 mulie in "central 21".

Not sharing my 3/301 info anymore, picked up a muzzle loader cow tag, hopefully that takes a little pressure off my bull tag.

There were some pretty solid pronghorn tags on the list, didn't last long as usual.
DG96
AG
I don't live there. I just picked up a unit 55 Archery deer tag because it was there. Got really lucky. I'll never wait that long to bank enough points to draw that unit.
I am headed to Idaho for elk but will just leave 10 days sooner to hunt there on the way.
AgEng06
AG
DG96 said:

I don't live there. I just picked up a unit 55 Archery deer tag because it was there. Got really lucky. I'll never wait that long to bank enough points to draw that unit.
I am headed to Idaho for elk but will just leave 10 days sooner to hunt there on the way.
Solid
BullSprig07
AG
It was my first time (trying to) participate in leftover day. I wasn't expecting the screen to pop up with four hunt choices, I think I kind of screwed the pooch there.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I GOT A BEAR TAG!!!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
wait...fixing the emoji to translate to shaynese:

I GOT A BEAR TAG!!!
AgEng06
AG
NRD09 said:

wait...fixing the emoji to translate to shaynese:

I GOT A BEAR TAG!!!

Nailed it
meggy09
AG
Who is knowledgeable and wants to give pointers on Muzzleloaders??? Plz?? I feel like this is going to turn into a train wreck. I've got 2 free weekends between now and the tag I picked up Tuesday. Scrambling to find somewhere with an actual gun in stock and find time to learn to shoot it.

I've got an assortment of 209 primers and some BH209. Should I try some pyrodex also? What for projectiles, seems like might be to late to try Thor, but I have some of their one-size and some Hornady FBP on order. Sounds like powerbelts are a no go. Peep sight seems pretty straightforward.

Any load that should be a "go to" for just about 2 moa out to 200ish yards. The time and scarcity of components has me a little worried trying to wring the last bit of accuracy/velo out of it.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
that's a tight schedule. If I were you I'd see if I could borrow one that someone already has sorted out. Or maybe pick one up off 24hrcampfire classifieds that someone has a load worked up for (they get excited about Whites I think it is). Also reach out to cupofjoe if he doesn't check in. I think he's got the muzzleloader thing figured out

Edit looks like a couple nice ones (white and t/c) have sold quick on there recently. May be something here worth looking at?
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/14966056/Searchpage/4/Main/998938/Words/Muzzleloader/Search/true/re-muzzleloader#Post14966056
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
not sure where you're located but here's a muzzleloader and all the stuff that just popped up
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3129094

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.