Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,629 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
BradMtn346
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Email sent. I think. My phone isn't doing what it should.
AgLA06
AG
Well, we waved the white flag today. Hiked in Thursday evening to 10k' in northwest Colorado. The next 2 days were 40+mph wind. It sounded like jets going full throttle to take off when the wind came through the drainage. I've never seen so many trees go down.

Then the cold front hit and the next 3 nights were below zero. Then the snow started. It was thigh deep in places before we gave up and packed out. Saw next to nothing and what few tracks we saw were hauling ass to lower elevation.

We tried hunting lower this morning to similar results. First time not seeing an elk on a elk hunt. Pretty demoralizing. Brutal.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Hate that feeling! There's always next year...
stdeb11
AG
Well it was -5 out yesterday morning but got it done on a buck I spotted right at sunset Monday night. Found him again at sunrise yesterday and hiked across a canyon to get to him. Saw quite a few deer and passed on several smaller 3x4's but was set on shooting a 4x4....Was the coldest hunt I've ever been on.

Now on to find a cow for the next few days. Seen two bulls so far..

stdeb11
AG
Also, mil-surplus pant liners with some rain pants over the top are the cats meow for cold weather glassing on the cheap!
AgEng06
AG
Congrats man! Nice buck!
AgLA06
AG
Pack in compared to pack out

JeremiahJohnson
AG
Wow that snow even covered up your license plate! haha Looks like a good hunt
rather be fishing
AG
Coworker/neighbor want hunting this evening and shot a young bull about 500 yards from my house this evening. I showed up just in time to help quarter it up.
mneisch
AG
2 for 2 on mule deer again this year. Full trip recap with pictures when we're back home. Worked our tails off this year!
cupofjoe04
AG
Way to go guys! Deer season is yielding some OB results!!!
cupofjoe04
AG
Sorry for the rough hunt. That snow is always an odd ball. Sometimes it is just what you need, and they push right to you. Other times, it feels like they dig a hole to China and disappear.

Great pictures though!
AgLA06
AG
We almost sent you a message to see if you had any suggestions further south. In the end we were just worn down enough to head home.
K_P
AG
Just bought points for WY and was reading the website and had a question -
It says your points only count for your 1st choice, so is it possible to have say 5 points holding out for a tag that takes 8 points and to list a tag that takes 2 points as your second choice and get it every year for the nest 3 years while building points for the hard-to-get tag?

That's what it sounds like but it sounds too good to be true and non fair for the guy that wants to hunt the 2 point are as his first choice? What's the catch? What am I missing?
harge57
AG
No.
K_P
AG
So your second choice is only getting you into the 25% random draw pool? Or if the tag requires 0 pts?
K_P
AG
Or is second choice just like first choice of the leftover tags?
harge57
AG
Second tags are drawn after all first choices are drawn. You can only get a tag in the second draw if there are leftovers after all first choices draw.

I think most states operate this way except maybe NM. Who draws the name then looks at the first 3 choices.
K_P
AG
Got it. Thanks.
cupofjoe04
AG
AgLA06 said:

We almost sent you a message to see if you had any suggestions further south. In the end we were just worn down enough to head home.

It's tough down here this year, for sure. I've only put my hands on 3 bulls and 1 cow this year in my unit. Lots of groups only filling a tag or two. I was hoping that snow would really help some guys this season, but it didn't seem to pan out that way.

lazuras_dc
AG
Just got off the mountain and headed back to TX

GMU77 guided /camped.
From top down this hunting trip with San Juan Outfitters (SJO) was nothing short of incredible. After a DIY pack in trip last year I'm so spoiled now.

Thursday was dropping off our gear and meeting the guides. We had a great dinner and some beer at pagosa brewing and Joey (cupofjoe) joined us and let us borrow his INReach, gave us tips, and told us some cool stories. 4 of us friends from Texas we're on this hunt. We also had a solo hunter from Houston who hunted with SJO last year and a writer for Sporting Classics Magazine from South Carolina.

Friday we packed out On horseback. We met our guides Dusty, Brian, and Jake. We wouldn't know it yet but they would be full of gut busting stories , tons of hunting knowledge and tips, and just all around great guys. Salt of the earth.
Sara was our amazing cook and wrangler. We never went hungry or without a hot beverage. She was only 18 but was great with the horses and dealing with all us old guys and had incredible maturity and life experience (including surviving an avalanche that destroyed her home with her in it !!)
Opening day we hiked about 8 miles in total and scouted meadows, water holes, and trails for sign. It was so dry we couldn't tell how old any of the sign was. The afternoon hunt we go back up to a meadow where we noticed the most sign and sat. We got in about 5PM and got set up under a set of trees. I was on the left , my hunting partner John in the middle and Dusty our guide to the right. I was set up for a long 300yard shot up the meadow to the tree line where the elk normally come down.
Well at 530 a cow and a calf walk out to our right at about 80yards. They fart around a bit and look like they are going to leave the way they came so dusty hits em with a cow call and they stay put. About 5minutes later we hear a little rustle and out comes a bull. It was my turn to shoot so I got ready. There was a little mound between us so I could swing around unseen. Grabbed my shooting sticks and get on my knees to face them but the mound was too high so I ended up having to adjust my sticks and stand and there they were. The cows must've seen me pop up and they took off. The bull started to follow but a timely cow call from dusty froze him. I quickly assessed his head gear to ensure he was legal then put the cross hairs on his shoulders and squeezed. He ran off. We all have high fives as we waited about 30min. It all happened so fast I was just worried I rushed the shot or shot over him since he was only at 80 and all the anxiety driven post shot thoughts I always have.
We check out the scene and there's no blood, confirming my anxiety. But then we look the direction he ran and he was like there 20yards away. Drilled him! We got him quartered up and headed back to camp for a celebratory Old forester 1920.

The rest of the trip was TOUGH. It snowed on us and got down to about 0 degrees on day3 and we hiked our butts off. (I still had a Muley tag). Saw so much sign it was unbelievable. These things were ninjas this week. Only saw one doe all week.

Second to last day had the most action. John has two young bulls beeline it to him in a meadow but we're of questionable legality. They got within 100 yards of him before busting him.
We had some of our hunters hear ripping bugles. A herd of about 50 came into the meadow 300yards of camp. Then got busted out of a different meadow when other hunters were returning to camp after shooting light. Last day consisted of busting two bulls out of the brush and seeing a few cows but nobody got a shot off.

Needless to say for me, Getting my first bull and top notch accommodation from the wall tent with stove, great cook, great friends (old and new), it was an unforgettable adventure.

Riding horses is also a blast !

arrow
AG
Congrats! I've always wanted to hunt with SJO. Sounds like a great time!
lazuras_dc
AG
arrow said:

Congrats! I've always wanted to hunt with SJO. Sounds like a great time!

Great people. Can't recommend enough. Sounds like archery through rifle 1 is a lonnnng horse ride up high and tough hunting. Rifle 2 is about a 1.5hr horse ride and easier hunting but very weather dependent since it's in a migration corridor.
Rifle 3/4 are day hunts out of town. So they pick you up at your hotel or home and drive to a trailhead. Hike up hard and glass and spot/stall.

I may try and do rifle3 with them at some point.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Congrats! Way to get it done!
stdeb11
AG
Congrats man!
bkf0005
AG
Congrats!
aggie0959
We had a Slow hunt. The dry mountain had the elk mostly moved out except up the valleys. Dad and I hiked 3-5 miles a day up the mountain to try and find elk or at least find fresh sign. We finally found some track in the snow but they were moving during the night. After 8 days of scouting and hunting, we decided to head home a day early and gain some points with the wives so we can go again.

cupofjoe04
AG
Congrats brother!!! Nothing like your first bull, what a cherished memory!

Glad you guys enjoyed SJO. They really are a great group. Jake and Brian are great guys. I'm glad you guys got to meet Sarah too, I didn't know she was up last week. Life has been hard for her to say the least. She and her sister stayed with a family in our church after their house in Lake City got swept away in the avalanche. Some of you may remember me posting the story here on TexAgs, and a few of you even donated to help the family out. Sarah has come a A LONG way, healing physically, emotionally, and spiritually.

Congrats again on the hunt! You guys definitely stuck it out during a very hard and cold week. That wall tent stove sure makes it more bearable!
cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks for sharing the story and great pics! Sorry y'all struck out, but glad you enjoyed it and made the best!
lazuras_dc
AG
Yeah insane story. I feel like I'm indoctrinated into the pagosa hunting brotherhood if only a Little bit now. Already planning my next trip !
cupofjoe04
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Yeah insane story. I feel like I'm indoctrinated into the pagosa hunting brotherhood if only a Little bit now. Already planning my next trip !

Hey, you got a Pagosa OTC bull, that ain't an easy thing to do! Just make sure when you tell all your friends in TX where you went hunting, the proper way to pronounce Pagosa Springs is "D-U-R-A-N-G-O"
BradMtn346
Put a decent meat buck in the barn last night. Didn't fill my first rifle elk because I was more concerned with helping my kids. Killed my B list cow in late September so meat wasn't a big issue. That is a wrap for me. My kids have 3rd rifle deer tags. It will be fun to concentrate on them.

lazuras_dc
AG
Nice buck! What area you hunt out of ?
BrazosBQ
BradMtn346
lazuras_dc said:

Nice buck! What area you hunt out of ?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.