Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,531 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
AgDad121619
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been digging on go hunt - well worth the investment - some really high success rates on some 0 point non resident tags - please tell me what I'm missing - would like to start building points but more interested in hunting 1st rifle and have found several units with 100% draw odds and +30% success rates. Y'all veterans tell me why I should take a chance on not getting one of these hunts to to build some points (I'm 57 so I'm starting late). And is the success rate listed on the site for either sex or bulls only?
BradMtn346
What state and units are you looking at?
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I've already been to the gym more this month than I did preparing for my 2019 hunt. Ready for a redo
LEJ
You've figured it out. Just go... hunt. Don't overthink this.
AgDad121619
AG
BradMtn346 said:

Colorado Units 54 , 60
angryocotillo
AG
Got drawn for unit 23 late season cow archery in Arizona. Went to 4B for an archery bull a couple years back on my first Western hunt. We got so close much closer than I ever expected we would. Any tips for late season cows? Most of what I read is about bulls.
meggy09
AG
AgDad121619 said:

BradMtn346 said:

Colorado Units 54 , 60

I don't know about those specific units, but private land and outfitters can skew those success numbers.
BradMtn346
AgDad121619 said:

BradMtn346 said:

Colorado Units 54 , 60

I can't help with 60. I used to archery hunt within sight of 54, so I know a little. There are about 350 elk tags in the first rifle, between bulls and cows. Good population of elk. Lots of public land, but it can be tough to access, especially on the east side of the unit. I know there are problems with elk piling into private subdivisions that don't allow hunting. I don't know if it happens that soon.

The west end has better access, but at a limited number of spots, so I'd expect 20-30 hunters accessing the forest at each of those points.

Meggy was right, the success rate can get skewed by a few private ranches. A lot of those elk are probably coming out of wilderness hunts.
AgDad121619
AG
meggy09 said:

AgDad121619 said:

BradMtn346 said:

Colorado Units 54 , 60

I don't know about those specific units, but private land and outfitters can skew those success numbers.
. Thanks - I will take that into account when I choose my unit. Will look at amount of public land and layout before choosing a unit.
AgDad121619
AG
BradMtn346 said:

AgDad121619 said:

BradMtn346 said:

Colorado Units 54 , 60

I can't help with 60. I used to archery hunt within sight of 54, so I know a little. There are about 350 elk tags in the first rifle, between bulls and cows. Good population of elk. Lots of public land, but it can be tough to access, especially on the east side of the unit. I know there are problems with elk piling into private subdivisions that don't allow hunting. I don't know if it happens that soon.

The west end has better access, but at a limited number of spots, so I'd expect 20-30 hunters accessing the forest at each of those points.

Meggy was right, the success rate can get skewed by a few private ranches. A lot of those elk are probably coming out of wilderness hunts.
. Thanks - good info.
CTGilley
AG
You can do both. Just put in for a point as your first choice and you can still apply for hunts. According to the annual it does not hurt your odds.
meggy09
AG
CTGilley said:

You can do both. Just put in for a point as your first choice and you can still apply for hunts. According to the annual it does not hurt your odds.

Not sure exactly where you're going with that last sentence, but a non-resident, zero point, second choice is going to really limit the options compared to a first choice.
BradMtn346
meggy09 said:

CTGilley said:

Not sure exactly where you're going with that last sentence, but a non-resident, zero point, second choice is going to really limit the options compared to a first choice.

What she said. I looked at 54, because it is next door and I know some of the country. Some nonresidents drew it as a second choice, but not many. If you really want to hunt, it has to be your first choice. If you want to build points and maybe hunt at no point cost, put it as your second choice.
CTGilley
AG
I was trying to say is you can build points every year and hunt first rifle by putting in for a point as your first choice and putting a high percentage unit as second choice.
lazuras_dc
AG
CTGilley said:

I was trying to say is you can build points every year and hunt first rifle by putting in for a point as your first choice and putting a high percentage unit as second choice.

I did this last year. Worked wonderfully.
BullSprig07
AG
I've done this the last couple years and has worked wonderfully for me too except for the part where you kill an elk
meggy09
AG
CTGilley said:

Obviously that's an option, but like I said, it will greatly limit your unit and season option. So I don't know how that doesn't hurt your "odds," per your last sentence. There are tags out there that are 100% draw second choice, so I guess your odds of hunting in general aren't affected, but quality of hunt is.
lazuras_dc
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

I've done this the last couple years and has worked wonderfully for me too except for the part where you kill an elk

#metoo
CTGilley
AG
My thought was you wanted to rack up points for a particular unit but still have a chance to hunt. The other option would be to put in for the unit you really want as first choice. You get a point if you do not get your first choice even if you get one of your others.

I hunt with a buddy so we want to hunt the same unit or neighboring units. Therefore we save our points and put in for a high percentage draw.
BradMtn346
CTGilley said:

My thought was you wanted to rack up points for a particular unit but still have a chance to hunt. The other option would be to put in for the unit you really want as first choice. You get a point if you do not get your first choice even if you get one of your others.

I hunt with a buddy so we want to hunt the same unit or neighboring units. Therefore we save our points and put in for a high percentage draw.

If you are hunting bulls, and can pull a limited tag on a second choice, your odds are not going to be much higher than an OTC hunt.
CTGilley
AG
Second choice does not lower your odds of draw. All choices are put in at the same time and drawn together. If you get a prior choice hunt excluding point draw you get the higher priority draw and they draw someone else for your lower priority. I verified this with CPW.

In other words if you make a unit as first choice and I mark it as third, we have the same chance to hunt the unit unless I get one of my first or second choice.

CPW has a whole write up about how people lose out because they do not select multiple choices. I will look for it in the morning.

Got a Bull last year so it worked out.
BradMtn346
CTGilley said:

Second choice does not lower your odds of draw. All choices are put in at the same time and drawn together. If you get a prior choice hunt excluding point draw you get the higher priority draw and they draw someone else for your lower priority. I verified this with CPW.

In other words if you make a unit as first choice and I mark it as third, we have the same chance to hunt the unit unless I get one of my first or second choice.

CPW has a whole write up about how people lose out because they do not select multiple choices. I will look for it in the morning.

Got a Bull last year so it worked out.

You are wrong. Everyone draws their first choice before anyone draws a second choice.
BradMtn346
Congrats on your bull!
LEJ
Yeah man. Brad is right. You are wrong. He's attractive. You're.... not so good looking.

No homo.
CTGilley
AG
Well then I was told wrong when I called a couple weeks ago. They told me what you are explaining is a common misconception.

That wouldn't be the first time a government agency told me something incorrect.

Edit. And based on a quick search I am believing you more than the CPW employee.
AgDad121619
AG
CTGilley said:

So far I haven't found a unit that has much better odds than ~30% as 2nd choice but I still have a lot of work to do looking through the units. My son is going to support the hunt but I think he should apply the same as me as even some of these 100% hunts are guaranteed as the stats are 2 years old and allocation and/or application numbers can change. Is 1st rifle a bull only tag or are all drawn tags either sex?
BullSprig07
AG
In 2018 I drew and hunted 1st rifle in unit 24 as a second choice. Of course they give away so many tags for that hunt that it may as well be OTC. Several others on here have hunted that unit.
AgLA06
AG
Water Turkey07 said:

In 2018 I drew and hunted 1st rifle in unit 24 as a second choice. Of course they give away so many tags for that hunt that it may as well be OTC. Several others on here have hunted that unit.

And that's probably only worthwhile if you hunt up to (by horses). Otherwise OTC 2nd or 3rd season is probably better.
LEJ
There ain't no easy way here fellas. It's hard. That's why it's so damn good.
CTGilley
AG
So we have put in as a group and gotten drawn.

Some one explain the process to me. I have got a few different answers.

1. Everyone must get drawn or no one gets a tag.
2. If one person gets drawn everyone gets a tag if there are enough tags left.
3. Group is entered as one person and if the group gets drawn everyone gets a tag if there are enough left.

#3 is how it was explained to me by the guy selling me a off road vehicle tag last year. It also sounds most logical.
AgEng06
AG
I'm pretty certain it's #3. They are not going to over-allocate tags in order to give everyone in the group a tag (per #2).

But, I'm also ready to be wrong.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Correct on #3 and they draw the group based on the lowest number of points person in the group, so choose your friends wisely
BradMtn346
#3, kind of. Actually, you are still put in individually, but if any one of you do not draw, the others get kicked out too.

Only do a group draw if you will only hunt if you all draw.
CTGilley
AG
BradMtn346 said:

#3, kind of. Actually, you are still put in individually, but if any one of you do not draw, the others get kicked out too.

So #1?
BradMtn346
CTGilley said:

BradMtn346 said:

So #1?

Actually yes. Sorry, I was distracted.

The lowest point person defines the draw odds in Colorado. In Wyoming, they average the groups' points.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.