Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,693 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
AgEng06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hmm, so maybe just unzipping my 15deg and using it as a cover, or just zipping it up when necessary would be best. That would keep me from having to buy new stuff.
AgEng06
AG
Additionally, any recs on sleeping pads? I have a Cabelas version that works well, but I'm always looking for an excuse to upgrade.
stdeb11
AG
Yep. That's what my buddy does with his 15 and my plan is too..

I use the klymit static V insulated sleeping pad. A bit overkill at times but it's bomb proof..
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
dude late august/all september at 10k could bring almost literally any weather. I would wait until the day before then use the weather forecast to decide between 0 degree bag (unlikely), 15 degree bag, or 40 degree bag/blanket of some sort. You can always toss in fleece pants and a puffy jacket if you want to carry the lighter bag. Not with the wife though. Carry the one that is guaranteed to be comfortable.

My favorite sleeping pad system for hunting is a full length closed cell foam pad (iso-mat, ridge rest, etc) for insulation and lounging around camp, lean against a log while cooking, etc, and a 3/4 length lightweight inflatable air mattress on top of it for sleeping

anybody received their paper CO elk tags yet? Mine haven't arrived and i thought they would by now
harge57
AG
I would not risk anything lighter than a 15 degree bag. I have spent a week in 2 foot of snow in early September. I had a 0 degree and my brother was cold all week in a 15 degree.

I have been happy with my klymit insulated pad.
mneisch
AG
If you are in the Houston area, I have a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite you can borrow.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks, and that's what I was thinking in regards to the weather. I will take my 15deg bag for sure.

I have not received my paper tags yet either.
Log
AG
Klymit insulated pads and a 15 degree bag should be fine. Just unzip and use as a blanket if you get too warm.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks for the offer. I'm in the Austin area and will probably go ahead and buy a second sleeping pad anyway. The one I have is great, but another would be useful at the deer lease when kids go with me (we sleep on cots).

I'll look at the Klymit pads.
arrow
AG
I use an EE 0* quilt and Thermarest Max pad for every hunt now. Your current 15* bag will be fine for Colorado archery. I used one for years with an Alps Outfitter pad.

I've been caught in a white out snow storm on opening day before. Last year was as mild of a first week as I can remember. We still got sleeted on the first evening.
AgDad121619
AG
As mentioned before , this will be my 1st elk hunt - got units 41/42/411/52/521 1st rifle

Been looking at google earth and have a few questions/ request for advice:

Is there a way to drop the unit boundaries on google earth?

Any way to show public land boundaries? Ie National Forest / blm/ state lands?

What maps do you you recommend for pre scouting period and the best place to go order the maps?
harge57
AG
You should go ahead and buy ONX maps. 30% off right now.

You can search for kmz/.kml files for the things you mentioned but you should just jump right to ONX as that is where you will end up.

You can download and use those maps on the hunt vs paper maps.
AgEng06
AG
harge57 said:

You should go ahead and buy ONX maps. 30% off right now.

You can search for kmz/.kml files for the things you mentioned but you should just jump right to ONX as that is where you will end up.

You can download and use those maps on the hunt vs paper maps.
This. Go ahead and get OnX maps.

For your GE question, you can download unit boundary maps from https://www.toprut.com/maps/
arrow
AG
You should be able to download everything you need for Google Earth here for free:

https://www.toprut.com/maps/

onX is great too. Especially in the field.
mneisch
AG
+1 for OnX, though you can download KMZ files of the unit boundaries online.

I hunted last year without OnX, but then jumped on a deal for it to use this year. Google Earth worked well enough for me but misses some of the conveniences of OnX.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
you guys are aware that the CO DOW has awesome webmap resources, right? Including winter range, etc?
https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas
JeremiahJohnson
AG
So does OnX but on a more usable interface.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'm just saying that the CO Hunting Atlas is free (well, paid for by your tax dollars)
meggy09
AG
OnX species maps for CO are pretty lacking. They were pulling it straight from the CPW Atlas but were asked to stop, took them a year or so to get their own up and it's just not as good.
meggy09
AG
WY sucks ass. All I wanted was a pronghorn for tag. Put in for a tag that last year had 83% odds, was 8% this year. Saw some others that had 10x the number of applicants.

Anybody have any strategy for crap like that? Dunno if there is anyway to predict it, just makes going off last years results pointless.
harge57
AG
meggy09 said:

WY sucks ass. All I wanted was a pronghorn for tag. Put in for a tag that last year had 83% odds, was 8% this year. Saw some others that had 10x the number of applicants.

Anybody have any strategy for crap like that? Dunno if there is anyway to predict it, just makes going off last years results pointless.
Harder to predict with the smaller allotment units, but you can get a general trend from the past few years on all the general stuff and be pretty close.

Point creep is alive and well in WY. Most general units have been .5 to .75 point creep every year.

You definitely can't go off of gohunt draw odds as those are just last years.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
Interesting. I have had good luck with the Colorado data on my end.
BackPocket
No luck in WY.

0-4 this year.

NM - X
UT - X
CO - X
WY - X

harge57
AG
Drew Region H Mule Deer in WY. Took 3 points in the special draw. Will be my only tag this year unless I do a last minute OTC Colorado tag.
stdeb11
AG
Drew WY antelope doe tag! Should be a fun meat hunt with some friends
agenjake
We had good luck in the Wyoming draw this year. Our party of 3 drew Region J deer tags (antlered mule deer or any whitetail) and Unit 103 antelope tags (buck/doe/fawn). Low point units so we got we were expecting, but still relieving to get the results.

agenjake
Which unit?
AgEng06
AG
Awesome. Sounds like a lot of fun. Are y'all hunting both tags in one big trip?
AgLA06
AG
NRD09 said:

I'm just saying that the CO Hunting Atlas is free (well, paid for by your tax dollars)

Doesn't help if it's on your computer back home when you're in the field.
arrow
AG
I took a small buck hunting Region J out of Wheatland a few years ago. My hunt was cut to two days due to a death in the family, so I didn't get real picky. It's a cool area. I've never experienced wind like we had there!

The local biologist was very helpful with access information. I can collect my notes for that area if you are interested.
CTGilley
AG
AgDad121619 said:

As mentioned before , this will be my 1st elk hunt - got units 41/42/411/52/521 1st rifle

Been looking at google earth and have a few questions/ request for advice:

Is there a way to drop the unit boundaries on google earth?

Any way to show public land boundaries? Ie National Forest / blm/ state lands?

What maps do you you recommend for pre scouting period and the best place to go order the maps?
Everything on OnX is publicly available. Look for .kmz files then load them into Google Earth. The same method can be used if you have a gps devise. The file format may need to be converted.

OnX is the easiest way to get land owner boundaries but not the only way
stdeb11
AG

Turns out only me and one other guy out of the 8 of us drew. Hopefully get it done on a weekend trip up from CO.
FrontPorchAg
harge57 said:

Mtn_Guide said:

Let me know if y'all are going to be looking for lodging. I'm thinking about renting my house out during the hunting season. If the dates work I'll make y'all a deal.

2 bed 1 bath on 22 acres with barn and loafing sheds. Backs up to elk unit 84 and deer unit 152
What is your contact info? Would like to get more info.
alpinejb "at" gmail
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
FrontPorchAg
harge57 said:

meggy09 said:

Harder to predict with the smaller allotment units, but you can get a general trend from the past few years on all the general stuff and be pretty close.

Point creep is alive and well in WY. Most general units have been .5 to .75 point creep every year.

You definitely can't go off of gohunt draw odds as those are just last years.
This.

Wyoming can be hell. I went in for Unit 83 and was supposed to have 100% odds and ended up with Unit 71. No one puts in there because it's so much private land
FrontPorchAg
arrow said:

I took a small buck hunting Region J out of Wheatland a few years ago. My hunt was cut to two days due to a death in the family, so I didn't get real picky. It's a cool area. I've never experienced wind like we had there!

The local biologist was very helpful with access information. I can collect my notes for that area if you are interested.
If you ever are out there hunting again. The goose hunting is phenomenal. I haven't done it in years but if you can link up a deer hunt and a goose field hunt that makes a for a great trip

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.