Outdoors
Sponsored by

Southern CO Elk Hunt (pic heavy)

5,926 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by cupofjoe04
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got back and settled from a very unique and truly epic elk hunt in Southern CO. This was not your traditional mountain hunt, not in the least. I selected this area because my Dad has a bad achilles tendon right now, so climbing and scrambling wasn't gonna happen for him. The whole goal of this hunt was to get my Old Man his first big bull. My brother-in-law and I joined in with cow tags.

This area looks like a huge flat scrub brush wasteland. Classic pronghorn looking country. It nestles up against some 12-14K peaks, and even an expanse of sand dunes. It doesn't look like it would hold an elk, but nothing could be further from the truth. There are innumerable little cuts, draws, hills, knolls, old roads, and even the odd irrigation canal that carve up this landscape. Just enough to hide a surprising number of elk, and even a group of hunters when needed.

I put in quite a bit of effort scouting and securing access. I found several key water sources, and some routine travel corridors that I wanted to target. This place is a dizzying patchwork of private, public, BLM, conservation, and park lands. Markers or decent fences were few and far between. Good maps, constant vigilance, and creative stalking were needed.

I went down to set up camp in an old house and scout. Dad & BIL arrived a day later. Looking at the sunset as they arrived, I knew this was going to be a special hunt.

DAY 1

The first morning, we hiked in to a knoll overlooking a spring and creek. This was the sunrise that greeted us.

As you can tell, this isn't your typical elk country. It felt like I was doing something REALLY wrong and stupid as we glassed they sandy scrub brush, and a promised my partners there were elk out there somewhere.

Shortly after sunrise, we heard our first bugle, somewhere out among the dunes. We tried to move to intercept, but ran into a boundary (this would be a common theme on our trip). We caught a brief glimpse of the bull at about 600 yards, pushing his cows across the sand. The only thing we could all agree on, he had hella-big whale tails. The guys were warming to this idea of hunting flatland elk.

The morning wained, and the sun grew hotter. We decided to head for another area. About 2 miles later, I caught glimpses of antlers above the brush. We finally found this bull pushing a decent sized herd, as they crested a hill.

The wind was in our favor, so we moved to intercept. We had to parallel them for about 1500 yards, not having a play to get closer. I spotted a small dip ahead, and theorized they would use it for cover. We pushed ahead, and set up over the dip, just as the elk rounded the corner.

While nice, this was not a Day 1 bull, so my Dad decided to pass. We quickly got my Brother-In-Law set up for a shot.

After a few minutes, a cow lagged behind enough for a clean shot. He got a little excited, and hit her just a bit back. A follow up shot quickly ended the stalk and began the blessed work of a hungry man. Smiles all around!

A short pack out to the truck was appreciated in the growing heat. After cow 1 rested safely in the coolers, we ate lunch and headed to another area to glass midday.
We were glassing a big area, and spotted a HUGE herd several miles out. The longer we looked, the more elk materialized. There were easily 75-100 head. We just weren't quite sure if they were on private land or the next section we could hunt.

So, we drove around to the public, and began hiking in. We constantly had to tack back and forth, as the winds and terrain changed often. We knew about where we thought they were, but it had taken a few hours to get there so we were going in blind.

We would carefully glass each knoll we topped, and pick our way to the next one. Finally, I spotted something white mixed in with the brush. I swore it was a bull's antler, so we stopped. Eventually, he materialized.

Picking apart the brush, we began to see an ear here, a leg there, the flick of a tail... then the elk began to stand a short while later. We were virtually surrounded on 3 sides. We had essentially walked into the middle of this herd, but could only really see about 20 at a time.

So we sat back-to-back-to-back, quietly analyzing and comparing our groups. In short order, we found the best bulls and focused on those.

My Dad debated this bull for a bit, until we all felt another one was bigger.

Then, the herd bull began making his way in front of us at 200 yards. He was a great 7x6. Real Wide, with decent mass. He had an enormous body, which made his antlers hard to judge. Ultimately, we decided he fronts weren't quite there, and his tops didn't finish enough to be a Day 1 bull. He got a pass. It was a tough choice for sure!

So, I decided to try and take a cow from the back of the herd. They were all slowly working away. I got set up and had 3 lanes to shoot, though they were all narrow. The elk were at 350-375 yards now, and I spent 11 minutes bouncing from lane to lane waiting for a perfect clean shot. (We have those shenanagins in video). Finally, a tasty looking cow stepped into a hole with no other elk behind her. She paused JUST long enough. I picked a hair behind her shoulder, took a breath, and began squeezing. The Bergara HMR broke crisp, and the 6.5 CM barked a loud report through the muzzle brake. I actually watched her hide ripple as the 143gr ELD-X flew true to its mark. She hunched, staggered about 12 yards, and that was it. Smiles and handshakes all around, then wondering how far from the truck we had wandered in the heat...

Not a bad backdrop for an elk hunt! Odd as it may be.

Something really odd- look at this cow's hooves. I guess from walking in the sand, instead of the rocks and mountains, they hooves don't get work down like normal. It looked like a horse in desperate need of a ferrier.

We headed back to camp to get the cow on ice, figuring 2 elk on day 1 was good enough. As we crossed back into our main hunting section, I noticed some brown patches to our right. We stopped the truck, and 40 heads popped up to look at us. A couple smaller bulls, nothing to get too excited about. As I was glassing them, a mammoth of a bull raised his head from the brush. All I could manage to utter was "big... bull. VERY... big... bull!!!!" He was tremendously wide, heavy, and dark horned. As he turned we could see he has unbelievable 4ths, easily 12+" 5ths, and wavy tails. His 3rds were longer than his head too. This was a day 1 shooter, without question.

The only problem, he was now taking his cows and kicking up dust as they ran. We drove up ahead of them, and piled out to try and find a spot to shoot where we thought they would cross. Though we couldn't see the elk, we could see the dust kick up where they were running. Then I felt a strong breeze on the back of my neck, blowing right to them. Sure enough, they stopped short of the hill a couple hundred yards away, and turned hard left and crossed the 2 tracker we were driving on. A couple hundred yards later, they crossed a boundary we could not hunt.

They kept an eye on them, and I feverishly looked on the map. There was one other section that way which we could hunt, and I knew a spot that had trees and water. They seemed to be heading in that general direction, so we got in the truck and hauled buns over there. It felt so odd leaving sight of this massive bull, but we had no other choice.

We parked, and hikes in as quietly and quickly as possible. We bounced a group of pronghorn, but thankfully they went the opposite way. We got to a little knoll with about 45 minutes of shooting light left. There was a dry irrigation ditch that ran about 600 yards to an open field, and I knew there was a small spring on the far side of that ditch, about 400 yards down.

I peeked around the corner, and I could see elk down towards the water. I didn't know for sure, bu figured it had to be the group we were chasing. We crept down the irrigation ditch, until there was a little break in the cover. We could see the elk now, 350 yards. But, we could only see their heads and antlers, everything from the chin down was covered in brush. But there he was, in all his glory- every bit of a 350" 6x6 if I've ever seen one. Truly massive animal. I spotted a little break in the brush, ahead of where they were moving, and got Dad set up on it. It was a tiny window, but if we could get the bull in it, we would have a shot. Finally, the bull worked to the hole. When he stepped into it, I gave a sweet little wine on my Elk Reel. That stopped him. I gave a quiet wimpy little bugle, and that got his attention. He turned into the hole, and faced right at us. The only problem, he was facing directly at us, and 4 other elk squeezed in beside him. No shot.

He gave a little chuckle, as if to remind everyone who is in charge. I decided to get aggressive, put on my big boy pants, and mustered the nastiest growling bugle I've ever thrown in the woods. I followed that with a few cow calls. That got his FULL attention. It was so cool to watch his neck almost turn black as his hair stood on end, and he screamed a response. I slid down the hill behind my Dad (where they couldn't see), and scooted to my right while giving another kind of broken bugle. I wanted him to think I was going to round the corner looking for a fight.

It worked, he stormed through the brush, knocked all kinds of crap down as he went. My Dad back down and we moved 40 yards down the ditch to another little opening and got set up. The elk were now 125-150 yards away.

The bull had all his cows down in that thick crap, and we couldn't get him to give a clear shot. It was MADDENING to be that close and not be able to shoot. He finally stopped in a little opening atop a small hill, I told Dad "Let me hit him again, and see if he will step down that incline below the cows. If he does, light him up."

I gave him a little bugle, and he stepped down the embankment. It was a tight shot, and he was only clear for about 2-3 seconds, but that's a shot my Dad can make. Just not that day. He leaned into the gun a little too much trying to follow the bull down, and pushed the shot right below him.

The bull and all the cows trotted off, and we had one other clear shot as they crossed the field. But it was at 400yds in fading light and be never came to a full stop. My Dad very wisely decided not to throw lead in desperate frustration.
Sadly, we weren't able to get any pics of this sequence, as it all went down so fast.

That was one hell of a day of elk hunting. We were on elk all day, passed on 2 very nice bulls, had a shot at the bull of a lifetime, and killed 2 cows in the process.

cupofjoe04
AG
DAY 2

The second morning found us glassing another water hole, were we thought the big bull might turn up. While we never saw Big Hank again, we saw several other 300"+ bulls. Probably another 75-100 elk that morning. Bulls were screaming all around us, just couldn't get to them because of terrain or boundaries.

Early in the am, we heard lots of grunting and movement behind us. A herd of bison was the culprit of all the noise. Amazing animals. And pretty darned cool to see them trapping across the western flatlands as they once did en mass.

Mid morning, we found a nice 6x6 that was stalkable with a favorable wind. 2 hours later, we were within range of this nice bull. Dad decided to pass, perhaps still dreaming of finding Big Hank again.

The rest of day 2 resulted in 2 failed stalks due to swirling winds, and more bison encounters than elk. We finished the day watching 150 elk play on the sand dunes, 1000 yards past our boundary (Which we weren't really near anyway). There were 2 HUGE elk in there, one we suspected was the bull from last night. There were at least 12 bulls over 300" in view. It was unreal, and out of reach.

But day 2 did provide one of the most iconic pictures I've ever taken. This massive bull plodded by us, and we followed it to a whole herd. It was pretty cool.

Day 2 did not disappoint.
HalifaxAg
AG
Great story. One of my biggest regrets in life was not making something like this happen for my Dad before I lost him. Good luck tomorrow!
cupofjoe04
AG
DAY 3

The morning was "slow", as we only saw 2 groups of elk, neither of which had a shooter bull. I know, cry me a river... what a hard hunt...

Mid-day, we spotted a pair of nice bulls on the horizon. We found a little creek bed, and followed it FOREVER. While we never tuned up the bigger bulls, we were able to get within 35 yards of this little guy and a couple cows. We obviously passed on him.

That afternoon, we were standing atop a knoll glassing and I spotted a herd of elk about 2 miles out. I thought there was a bull, but couldn't be sure. We set off to find out.

We were sticking down low, trying to sneak closer without being seen. You can't go in a straight line, so we covered a couple miles getting there. As we popped up to another hill, we spotted them. The were working upwind of us, and away. There was a very nice bull, and my Dad decided he was a shooter.

As I looked past the elk, I saw a wall of rain on the horizon. The closer I looked, the more I realized it wasn't rain, it was a freaking sand storm. It was rolling down the valley, right to us. We backed out, and went way around the elk as fast as we could. They slowed down as the wind picked up, and we were about 600 yards away. We could just see their heads above the brush every now and then. The wind was HOWLING at 35+mph, no long shots would be had in this.

My Dad said "we better find a place to hunker down, before this sand storm hits us". Then I got a crazy idea. I suggested the elk might do the same thing, and we could use the storm to mask our approach. There was almost no cover between us, save for a patch of brush about 200 yards from the elk. There was no way we could traverse the wide open without being seen, and it was WAY to far to go around and catch up to them.

So, we packed everything non-essential into my bag, and buttoned it down right. We covered scopes, binos, and range finders was best we could. The wall of sand came SCREAMING at us, way faster than I expected. When we couldn't see the elk, we started across the open space. We had to look straight down at our toes to keep from getting blinded, so navigating was guesswork at best.

Finally, after what felt like an hour (but was more like 10 minuets), it started kicking scrub brush at my feet again. We ducked down into the brush, and waited out the storm, just hoping it was the right brush line to put us within shot of the elk.

About 5 mins later, and an old barn began materializing in view. We were short and right of where I wanted to be. But the elk were on the other side of the barn. We used it as cover, and finally found the elk standing back up after the storm passed. The dice roll had worked, they had all hunkered down just like we thought of doing. We were shaking sand out of every conceivable pocket and crevice, but we were 300 yards away.

We belly crawled another 75 yards, and all that separated us from the elk was 225 yards of open flat sand and grass. We got Dad set up for a shot, and waited for the bull to present. He was busy running off a 280" 5x5, and tending his cows. We finally caught him in between the two, and I stopped him with a cow call. Dad shot the .300WM true this time, and his 180gr GMX did a splendid job- double lung and DRT. Bull down. All smiles, hugs, and sandy knives from there on out!

This picture of me and my Dad was right after the shot- and is worth the entire trip for me. This, gents, is what it's ALL about!

The 3 amigos- 3 days and 3 elk. Not a bad hunt!!!

Dad finally getting his hands on a big bull, after 30 years of waiting. Cherished moment

The pack out was a bit long, but so flat no one minded. Very nice bull, and great way to end the trip!

Jason C.
AG
Fantastic post.

Also, I know I spend too much time on the Politics board when I see "BLM" and instinctively recoil.
Wodanaz
AG
Congrats on another year and another round of solid elk hunting posts. Looking forward to getting back to hunting next weekend.
bkag9824
AG
Outstanding!

Coworker from NW CO grew up in Wyoming, and he swears some of the biggest bulls he's ever seen/hunted lived in similar flat/sand dune type country in Wyoming. Locals know about those herds, but so many out of state hunters never think the areas hold any elk and head to the aforementioned "iconic" elk terrain. Said the sand dune herds are damn tough to hunt though.

Side question - were those privately owned buffalo or randoms on BLM/public?
cupofjoe04
AG
bkag9824 said:

Outstanding!

Coworker from NW CO grew up in Wyoming, and he swears some of the biggest bulls he's ever seen/hunted lived in similar flat/sand dune type country in Wyoming. Locals know about those herds, but so many out of state hunters never think the areas hold any elk and head to the aforementioned "iconic" elk terrain. Said the sand dune herds are damn tough to hunt though.

Side question - were those privately owned buffalo or randoms on BLM/public?

You are 1000% correct. I am still trying to figure out why I ever climb mountains for a week to get 1 chance at a bull...
I'm not sure how long I'll be able to access these elk, but you can be dang sure I'll be going every year I possibly can. And not saying a freaking word about where!

The bison were a mix. They all started as a conservation herd. But I think over time some get out. Poorly maintained fences + bison is not a winning combo.
COSciAG
Great write up! Hope to do the same for my dad one day.
bkag9824
AG
Gotcha - my understanding from GW in GMU 21/22 area is that buffalo sans ear tag on public land = free shooting. Modern day smoke signals go up around the area if any are spotted, and he's the one often calling some of the folks to find them to be taken.

But I'm guessing the rules may be a little different if it was a conservation herd the state started. But the buffalo up NW come across from the Utah book cliff area.
rock08
AG
Awesome post and pics! Way to capture the moment!
shalackin
AG
Wow!!!! Awesome!!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Awesome job!
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Don't forget that elk were plains critters until 200 or so years ago...

Awesome elk, great pics and write up, congrats!
CW2011
AG
Hell yea. Awesome write up! Damn good memories made! Heck of a bull to boot.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Really? I need to do more reading. I have never heard that before but haven't been chasing elk that long.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Lewis and Clark described herds of elk on the prairies, as i understand it we chased them into the mountains
cupofjoe04
AG
ttha_aggie_09 said:

Really? I need to do more reading. I have never heard that before but haven't been chasing elk that long.

Absolutely. This is one of the reasons I was excited to do this hunt. Hunting them in more of their historic environment, a truly unique opportunity.

While not a physically demanding as the mountians, these elk are not easy to kill. 100 ways to mess up every stalk. Constantly swirling winds, not predictable thermals. They can see forever, and I feel they can see right through brush that we can't. Having to blindly move and stalk a herd constantly on the move, in seemingly random directions. It's tougher than it sounds.
Whaler
AG
Fantastic write-up, great pictures... Congrats on a great hunt, and thank you for sharing it with us.
ttha_aggie_09
KALALL
AG
Awesome report. How the heck can I get a rifle tag for September in Colorado?
3RDGNAg05
AG
Awesome story I hope to get my chance one day! Congrats to you and your dad!
japantiger
S
Great writeup and pictures...wish I could still hunt with my Dad.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Congrats! Great hunt, write up and pics!
Gig 'em! '90
cupofjoe04
AG
kaleb_allison said:

Awesome report. How the heck can I get a rifle tag for September in Colorado?
Depredation tags.

Being owed by the right person, being lucky, and investing hella sweat equity. Hopefully earned the right to return someday.

SanAntoneAg
AG
Joe that bull your dad killed is an absolute stud. Those two he passed up were shooters for 95% percent of us. Very impressive!
Gig 'em! '90
tmkbdd
Congrats to all. Great story and pic's, thanks for sharing!
giddings_ag_06
BrazosBQ
Aggietaco
AG
Thanks for spending the time to share your story with us. Great write up and pictures.
daniel00
AG
Amazing trip. Thanks for sharing.
Log
AG
Are those bison free range? Didn't think there was a herd in SO CO.
Aggieangler93
AG
Loved reading this. You write well and are a saint for getting your Dad onto that fine animal.
rootube
AG
Epic post!
cupofjoe04
AG
Thank you. I appreciate it.

It's been something we've been working on for 6 years now. FINALLY made it happen for him! Got him a B&C pronghorn last year, and an epic bull this year. Trying to take advantage and do this stuff while we are all still young enough to appreciate (and do) it.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.