Outdoors
Sponsored by

2020 Western States Draw Deadlines

107,476 Views | 1154 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lazuras_dc
Post removed:
by user
stdeb11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I live in the Denver area. Used to hunt near Steamboat, but wanted to change units this past year and 82 was on my short list due to dreams of some alpine. Ended up going elsewhere after scouting out another unit. Still have dreams of going back in there so may just go for the fun of it if I have a free weekend this summer.

82 is a steep SOB. Any notion of jumping down one major ridge and up to another with a pack of gear and all off trail just wasn't going to happen. Some serious elevation and some serious climbs. At least where I went over by the dunes. I'm fairly young, backpack pretty often, and in pretty good shape and thought I could power over and thru some stuff and it just want gonna happen. I will say finding and following water in that unit would be good if you go there. There wasn't nearly as much water as a lot of spots in CO which could help finding them.

If you want shoot me an email and I can tell ya more if I didn't scare you. I'm quite positive there's a lot of elk in there.
meggy09
AG
I haven't read the thread, but you might get something from it. https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/co-unit-82-looking-for-any-info.98432/
Post removed:
by user
BradMtn346
Bump. Colorado deadline is tomorrow. Tuesday the 7th
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thanks for the reminder! The application process seemed a little easier this year. Maybe that's because I knew I had to buy the small game license first.
Post removed:
by user
harge57
AG
Do you have to actually apply every so many years in CO so you don't lose your points?
LEJ
Thinking it's every 5 years
JeremiahJohnson
AG
harge57 said:

Do you have to actually apply every so many years in CO so you don't lose your points?
I forgot to apply last year and still have my points.
harge57
AG
Also, if you want a shot at a 2nd choice can you still enter the preference point only for your first choice?
JeremiahJohnson
AG
yeah..... most of the codes for preference points are = p - 999 - 99 - p
harge57
AG
Thanks for the quick answers. Just getting points for Elk, Deer, and Antelope.

Put a long shot 2nd choice for both Deer and Elk.

I do these apps every year, but still get nervous before I submit it that I am screwing something up.
AgEng06
AG
harge57 said:

I do these apps every year, but still get nervous before I submit it that I am screwing something up.
Boy, do I know that feeling.
LEJ
Got a receipt for my nieces account but not mine. I know mine went through. Same thing happened last year. Got my email days after it closed
AgLA06
AG
Not putting in for Colorado this year. Too much uncertainty.

I'll go OTC if things calm down.
lazuras_dc
AG
I put in for mule deer gmu77 rifle 2
And going otc for elk

If this virus things is still messing things up in October I think we're gunna have much bigger problems than a hunt to worry about.
BullSprig07
AG
I'm sure Carol and Holly will make room for you if you pay them a visit.

I'm playing the same strategy, points only, if I can get away in the fall then I'll pickup an OTC tag. Actually, better yet this will be the year I draw New Mexico.

Starting to wonder what affect this is going to have on the draw odds though. I'm sure we are far from the only hunters taking this strategy, many of whom would have applied.
LEJ
Your odds of drawing a tag are going to be better than last year
Post removed:
by user
LEJ
Probably not THAT much better
AgLA06
AG
Might be.

Resident hunter apps will probably be close to the same, but I wouldn't be surprised if non-resident apps weren't down 30%.

Economy crash, layoffs, money tight
Traveling restricted
No one worried about 6 months plus from now.
AgEng06
AG
GOOD
AgLA06
AG
Us out of staters are people too man!!!!
arrow
AG
Points for everything with some second choice long shots. (Just in case apps are low due to virus.)
Went ahead and applied for early rifle bear.
Log
AG
Got my points for everything except cougar and turkey. Put in for 2nd choice for MZ deer and pronghorn in a couple of units that I have a slight chance of drawing. Was considering burning my 6 PH points, but there are a few units I'm only a point or two away from being eligible for that have better success rates, populations, and public land. Figured I'd hit the TX panhandle again this year if NM doesn't pan out (which it hasn't ever for me besides a 1999 archery hunt).
AgLA06
AG
You laugh, but that's probably where I'm going. The problem is second season is over Halloween and the wife ain't going for that. And you know what happens if it snows for third up there.

This might be the year to look for some good left over draw tags.

A year like this and I might not see another person once I leave the trail head. Most resident hunters apparently stay with 2-3 hours of home. They don't know what it's like to normally drive 6+ hours to find a place you can afford to hunt like us Texans.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I'll probably hunt Eagles Nest again. Hard hard hunt not many elk but fun being above the tree line.
AgEng06
AG
I effed around and didn't get my dad's deer points early enough. He doesn't have hunter's ed because he doesn't need it in TX... but CO is a different story. You can take a test to opt-out.... but it takes 24 hrs to be applied.

F***
Post removed:
by user
JeremiahJohnson
AG
My receipt says $155.91
BullSprig07
AG
You may be right I'm curious to see the leftover tag list this year. Combine a larger than normal number leftover tags with it being the first year with a leftover draw and it could be interesting.
LEJ
$80 for small game license (have to have a "qualifying license" to even apply for points and this is one of those)

$10 for habitat stamp

$9 for each species for NR (except moose, sheep and goat... you'll be charged $100 for these PPs (after the draw) if you applied for them

My total was $137

Log
AG
What LEJ said. Just have to chose the PP code as first choice if you don't want to enter the draw, or select a hunt as your first choice. If you don't get drawn you get a point, if you draw, your points return to 0.
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.