Outdoors
Sponsored by

Gunfight at the Twin Peaks [Staff Warning on page 47]

320,392 Views | 1928 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by rather be fishing
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
9 dead. 18 injured. Tons of suspects. I wish Sheriff Andy was there to sort things out, but he wasn't. I cannot think of any better way the Waco PD could have handled things, and I've yet to read of any better ideas from all the Monday morning quarterbacks, IMO.

Now, million dollar bails and months to get hearings are a separate issue. Sucks, but it is what it is.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
I cannot think of any better way the Waco PD could have handled things, and I've yet to read of any better ideas from all the Monday morning quarterbacks, IMO.
How about this:

1. Arrest everyone.

2. Work everyone in the dept overtime and take the help of the Rangers, DPS, FBI, ATF, etc to gather and analyze evidence.

3. For everyone that you have proper evidence on, you write a proper probable cause affidavit that specifically says what probable cause you have for arresting that person and submit that to the Justice of the Peace.

4. For everyone you do not have probable cause to arrest in 72 hours, you let them go, but keep their name and contact information on file.

5. The Justice of the Peace looks at those affidavits and assigns a reasonable bail that is meant to ensure that the defendants will show up for trial.

****ing ground breaking, isn't it?

quote:
Now, million dollar bails and months to get hearings are a separate issue. Sucks, but it is what it is.
Civil rights violations aren't just "Whatever, bros, sucks to be you!"
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
quote:
Sorry, I still disagree.

And like I said, given time, if WPD and the JP were way out of line, things will correct themselves. It's just the 24 hour news cycle has helped make us incredibly impatient about these things.
un-tsss, un-tsss, un-tsss . . . you're wrong.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
quote:
9 dead. 18 injured. Tons of suspects. I wish Sheriff Andy was there to sort things out, but he wasn't. I cannot think of any better way the Waco PD could have handled things, and I've yet to read of any better ideas from all the Monday morning quarterbacks, IMO.

You may not be able to think of any better way to handle things, but I would wager a guess that thousands of other people (at least a couple of which are on this thread) are able to do so.

Going in with bullsh PC affidavits and trumped up charges was brash and wrong when they did it (as several of us pointed out when this first happened), and it's wrong now. Detain everyone? Sure. Keep them all in jail on bogus bond and (allegedly) prevent them from meeting with attorneys? Absolutely not. Once again, this is two weeks later. If they haven't been able to do enough investigation by now to confirm that at least some of the 170 citizens they arrested are being held for no good reason, they've failed in their duties or they will actually get 170 convictions . . . and I know which side I'm betting on.
BoerneGator
AG
quote:
Sorry, I still disagree.

And like I said, given time, if WPD and the JP were way out of line, things will correct themselves. It's just the 24 hour news cycle has helped make us incredibly impatient about these things.
You are being condescending with that dismissal. Two or three days would be incredibly patient, if one were innocent of everything charged with. Ten days is Mother Teresa territory! You haven't the right to disregard the basic fundamental rights of others the way they're being trampled on here!
AggieOO
haven't been keeping up with the thread for a while, but the co-worker is now one of only 2 people who have posted bond. they basically realized he didn't have involvement, so they reduced his bond and moved up his hearing. he's not in the clear, but most likely won't face any charges.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
quote:
haven't been keeping up with the thread for a while, but the co-worker is now one of only 2 people who have posted bond. they basically realized he didn't have involvement, so they reduced his bond and moved up his hearing. he's not in the clear, but most likely won't face any charges.
That can't be, Aggie00! We've been assured that the cops and JP did everything right, so he's an arch-criminal who got what he deserved. Trust us. TexAgs: We Know Stuff.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
quote:

Reduced his bond? Moved up his hearing? But I thought after reading a thread full of speculation that wasn't happening for anyone?
SteveBott
AG
I posted this link in the thread but some might read it.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/6e28f92baa504b2393cabb66d2090ddd/wife-biker-inmate-some-arrested-texas-are-innocent

Basically they have video surveillance of the interior of the restaurant showing many people completely innocent. When I read this I really started to feel a bunch of folks are getting the short shaft. Not everyone in the building might not be able to identify but I bet many, many could. Yet they sit in jail.
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
quote:
quote:

Reduced his bond? Moved up his hearing? But I thought after reading a thread full of speculation that wasn't happening for anyone?
Guess you missed the part about it being two weeks later . . . and him being 1 of 2 out of a total of 170.

But you're right, it's all good now!
techno-ag
AG
And don't forget, after one of their worst mass shootings (not counting the Branch Davidians), they had reports of bikers streaming into town from all over the state.

Absolutely they were going to lock everybody up and hope things cool down. Y'all are being unrealistic in expecting a measured, Mayberry like response to this massive shootout.
Guitarsoup
AG
I hate being so unrealistic in believing that the police and the judges should follow the law and not violate the civil rights of American citizens.
SteveBott
AG
tech is 7 days with the videos reasonable? I would think a review of those tapes would take 2-3 days at most.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
tech is 7 days with the videos reasonable? I would think a review of those tapes would take 2-3 days at most.
The whole shootout/fight happened in a matter of minutes.

So maybe an hour of tape on nine cameras are relevant. Doesn't take forever to review that and throw relevant parts on one tape so it can all be reviewed together.

This isn't CSI where they can zoom in to tiny little things in the reflections of the spoon to see around the corner.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
"I'll uh, just check with the boys down at the Crime Lab. They uh, got uh, four more detectives working on the case. They've got us working in shifts"
EMY92
AG
They just finished processing the crime scene yesterday.
Post removed:
by user
maverick2076
quote:
And don't forget, after one of their worst mass shootings (not counting the Branch Davidians), they had reports of bikers streaming into town from all over the state.

Absolutely they were going to lock everybody up and hope things cool down. Y'all are being unrealistic in expecting a measured, Mayberry like response to this massive shootout.
"Bikers streaming into town" were the rest of the people attending the COC meeting that wasn't scheduled to start for another 45 minutes after the shooting occurred.
carpe vinum
AG
Waco: where you are guilty until proven innocent.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Even if the cops let 99% of those men walk, they could still build their cases and seek warrants.

Of these guys are smart, none of them are talking at all.
maverick2076
^
This. Plus, out of 200+ people there, how many do you think actually saw anything useful?
maverick2076
http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/SA-man-caught-up-in-Waco-melee-has-lost-his-job-6290515.php

This guy doesn't even own a motorcycle, yet he is still sitting in jail.
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
Hernden said McLennan County officials won't let Hernden post Diego Obledo's $1 million bond because Hernden is from out of town. Hernden said he is certified in Bexar County to post up to $2 million in bail.

"They won't let me sign the bond," Hernden said. "The county...will only take (bonds from) local bondsmen."

Wow.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Wow is right
SteveBott
AG
Cannot understand posters who still support this case. Wow.
MookieBlaylock
AG
That statement by bott is not surprising
Same mentality of the police
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
quote:
http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/SA-man-caught-up-in-Waco-melee-has-lost-his-job-6290515.php

This guy doesn't even own a motorcycle, yet he is still sitting in jail.
Wrong. He's a scum of the earth thug who deserves to be killed by the police and is lucky he's only been jailed for the last two weeks![/TexAgs]
Swarely
I honestly thought I was on the politics board. Really, I had to go back and check.

I typically look to the OB to be the board that you can get a straight, well thought answer on. Yea, you may get a little razzing, but I am shocked by what I am reading. Anyone that doesn't see this as a gross violation of rights... I... I just don't know what to say to you.
SteveBott
AG
quote:
That statement by bott is not surprising
Same mentality of the police

Mook I have no idea of what your point is please explain.
eric76
AG
quote:
I honestly thought I was on the politics board. Really, I had to go back and check.

I typically look to the OB to be the board that you can get a straight, well thought answer on. Yea, you may get a little razzing, but I am shocked by what I am reading. Anyone that doesn't see this as a gross violation of rights... I... I just don't know what to say to you.
Jails are full of people wanting to go outdoors.
MookieBlaylock
AG
You are throwing out a blanket judgement just like the cops and judge have done

Thats all
Potlicker
AG
quote:

Swarely
What's my blanket judgement?
maverick2076
http://www.kcentv.com/story/29175036/bikers-plan-massive-protest-and-rally-at-mclennan-county-courthouse

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.