aginlakeway said:
I thought that the women in that match were retired older players. And that the men were active professionals.
But I may be wrong.
Still, it was a slaughter ...
It was a mix, but I don't know the number. you can watch the higlights and see several of the men are older. the women were some kind of team but I don't know their real make up as far as current or older players. For sure some were current players of some capacity.
I know one Wrexham player was a 19 year old developmental team player - not the main team - but he was certainly not retired either.
The women's captain was Heather O'Reilly of the US women's team but it was a year after she last played for national team. She did still play professionally for 5 more years after the match.
And she notoriously told the owners Reynolds and McIlhenny that Wrexham was "about to go down!!!!!" in the pre match interview.
One of the commentators for the entire match who was mic'ed up was the Wrexham goalie. He was not seen on the broadcast until the hand shake at the end of the match.