Chinese Spy Balloon

94,612 Views | 1075 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by lb3
91Challenger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Several unanswered questions, as far as I know.

What kind of sensors did it have? Optical? IR? SIGINT? (If so, what systems/wavelengths was it looking to exploit?) COMINT? (Again, what systems were they trying to exploit?). LIDAR/ground mapping? Radar? Ground-penetrating radar? These are all very important questions to ask.

Next, what did it do with the data collected? Was it sent off board immediately or was the data only stored on board? If the payload was not transmitting, then no reason to worry. However, given the volatile nature of data recovery from a balloon, I assume the system was actively transmitting data.

So, if it was actively transmitting, did we intercept the signals it was sending? And if we did, could we break their encryption to see what they know? orrrr were we able to jam their signal?

Finally, on destruction, did they hit the balloon or the payload? I'm sure you would attempt to hit the balloon in hopes of retrieving and exploiting the payload. So, what optimizes your chances of payload recovery? A water landing or hitting the ground?

Lots to ponder, and these are the questions our press should be asking, and I'm sure this was the discussion going on inside the DOD.
"A is A”
fka ftc
Trump would have returned the balloon to sender via a Minuteman III to Beijing. We all know it, and even Xi knew it which is why he save balloon for Biden.

Now quit trolling.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Rapier108
fka ftc said:

You know the story is over target on a Biden issue when the first response from DemLibs is... "but but, mean ol Trump made double bad doodee balloon spy when he were prethudent".

If a Chinese spy balloon with a sensor array the size of a school bus came floating through the US at 60,000ft from Jan 2017 to Jan 2021, you can bet Don Lemon and Lester Holt would have chartered a Gulfstream and broadcast live 24/7.
The Democrats would have impeached him for it.
eric76
AG
fka ftc said:

Trump would have returned the balloon to sender via a Minuteman III to Beijing. We all know it, and even Xi knew it which is why he save balloon for Biden.

Now quit trolling.
LMAO. That's a great response. I must admit that I thought you were serous for a minute or two.
TAMU1990
AG
Not a Bot said:

agent-maroon said:

Quote:

I'm guessing we disabled it's surveillance capabilities before this hit the news.
One would certainly hope so. But what was it trying to accomplish with all the maneuvering? Did someone think it could run away somewhere and hide?
It was floating with the prevailing upper atmospheric winds.
Whatever - it meandered to practically every important nuke facility or base.
Gordo14
fka ftc said:

Now quit trolling.

Frankly, I am glad our leaders didn't fire an ICBM over this so I am not sure what point you're trying to make.

This balloon probably didn't have much intelligence significance in the satellite era. It's more about making a statement that they intend to compete with us on the global stage and as a bit of psychological warfare. I'm glad we shot it down, demonstrating our capability to do so as we see fit. And I think it's best for Americans, (presuming that's what y'all want) that you don't blow the significance of this balloon out of proportion... Just remember what's at stake and why it is so important to contain China. Foriegn policy unity no matter who is in the White House will be our most powerful response - just saying. There's plenty to ***** about from Biden, but I think you're just stretching to make everything a political failure if that's what you turn this into.
Bird Poo
AG
The leftists carrying the water for this inexcusable incursion are pathetic.

They are actually blaming the military.

What's next, spitting on soldiers?
reineraggie09
AG
J. Walter Weatherman
eric76 said:

fka ftc said:

Now quit trolling.
LMAO. That's a great response. I must admit that I thought you were serous for a minute or two.

Regardless, if trump had waited to shoot it down until there was a zero percent chance of civilian casualties the way we did today he would have been endlessly praised by most on here and the left would be the ones pissed about it.
eric76
AG
Gordo14 said:

fka ftc said:

Now quit trolling.

Frankly, I am glad our leaders didn't fire an ICBM over this so I am not sure what point you're trying to make.

This balloon probably didn't have much intelligence significance in the satellite era. It's more about making a statement that they intend to compete with us on the global stage and as a bit of psychological warfare. I'm glad we shot it down, demonstrating our capability to do so as we see fit. And I think it's best for Americans, (presuming that's what y'all want) that you don't blow the significance of this balloon out of proportion... Just remember what's at stake and why it is so important to contain China. Foriegn policy unity no matter who is in the White House will be our most powerful response - just saying. There's plenty to ***** about from Biden, but I think you're just stretching to make everything a political failure if that's what you turn this into.
If I was the Chinese, I'd be tempted to set up a fleet of cars with camera and electronic gear on top, mark them as "Google Street View" cars and send them out to gather intelligence. Instead of being mad about them, everyone would just be smiling for the camera.
richardag
B-1 83 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

We can't just shoot stuff down and endanger civilians. That debris can kill people and destroy property.
When it was over Montana, there are virtually nothing for it to fall on. Should have been blasted out of the sky right then and there.

Actually, should have shot it down over the Aleutian Islands.
Why would we do that when we had disabled it's ability to gather and transmit data?

You can't predict where the debris will land. This isn't that simple.
With all the brilliant minds we have in this country, computers, etc…….we couldn't have popped that damn thing in Eastern Washington and predicted where it would fall within 20 miles in the vast expanses of Montana or the Rocky Mountains?
They're not being transparent. Or, they were afraid it might land on Sasquatch.
Among the latter, under pretence of governing they have divided their nations into two classes, wolves and sheep.”
Thomas Jefferson, Letter to Edward Carrington, January 16, 1787
Maroon Dawn
AG
J. Walter Weatherman said:

eric76 said:

fka ftc said:

Now quit trolling.

Regardless, if trump had waited to shoot it down until there was a zero percent chance of civilian casualties the way we did today he would have been endlessly praised by most on here and the left would be the ones pissed about it.

What civilian casualties? Especially in rural Montana
agent-maroon
AG
Trump hasn't been president for over two years. Why is he being drug into the conversation about an incident that we all just witnessed in real time? Whataboutisms are pathetic at best
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
J. Walter Weatherman said:

eric76 said:

fka ftc said:

Now quit trolling.

The surface of the earth is something like 70% water. If he shot down ten balloons over Montana, seven of them would have landed in the ocean.
reineraggie09
AG
This. My whole family is from Eastern Montana. Whole new definition of rural
The Dirty Sock
All of our secrets must have been in the Atlantic
TexAgs91
AG
agent-maroon said:

Trump hasn't been president for over two years. Why is he being drug into the conversation about an incident that we all just witnessed in real time? Whataboutisms are pathetic at best
Because he won the last election, should be president now and he may win again?
"Freedom is never more than one election away from extinction"
Fight! Fight! Fight!
agent-maroon
AG
richardag said:

B-1 83 said:

redcrayon said:

Rapier108 said:

redcrayon said:

We can't just shoot stuff down and endanger civilians. That debris can kill people and destroy property.
When it was over Montana, there are virtually nothing for it to fall on. Should have been blasted out of the sky right then and there.

Actually, should have shot it down over the Aleutian Islands.
Why would we do that when we had disabled it's ability to gather and transmit data?

You can't predict where the debris will land. This isn't that simple.
With all the brilliant minds we have in this country, computers, etc…….we couldn't have popped that damn thing in Eastern Washington and predicted where it would fall within 20 miles in the vast expanses of Montana or the Rocky Mountains?
They're not being transparent. Or, they were afraid it might land on Sasquatch.
Occam's Razor - they're lying
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
mike0305
Because several people keep saying "Well ya know this would never have happened if Trump was in power!" And attempting to politicize it as a Dem v Rep thing. Except that it did happen previously when Reps held office.

It doesn't change the fact that I think the Biden admin was wrong for not shooting it down before it got over US airspace or that to attack him for not taking action is out of bounds.

Speaking to this as someone who has posted multiple times on this thread and never voted Dem. I just don't like hypocrisy or the fact that everything is a political op. Things have become too polarized.

Just want to get to truth and not be sheep.
Maroon Dawn
AG
mike0305 said:

Because several people keep saying "Well ya know this would never have happened if Trump was in power!" And attempting to politicize it as a Dem v Rep thing. Except that it did happen previously when Reps held office.

It doesn't change the fact that I think the Biden admin was wrong for not shooting it down before it got over US airspace or that to attack him for not taking action is out of bounds.

Speaking to this as someone who has posted multiple times on this thread and never voted Dem. I just don't like hypocrisy or the fact that everything is a political op. Things have become too polarized.

Just want to get to truth and not be sheep.

It's a sickening display of Biden's weakness in front of the entire world

There's no debate about that
mike0305
Also, the irony is that while not a huge Trump fan, my fav thing about is presidency was that someone finally stood up and took it to China.

Even if he overlooked balloons, as supposedly we have been spying on China by aircraft w/o recourse for years.
Pooh Ah
AG
https://www.facebook.com/groups/murrellsinlet/permalink/1703234273451243/

Turn on sound and enjoy!

This count as an air-to-air victory?

Paint a balloon on the F-22 fuselage?
dustin999
AG
eric76 said:

Gordo14 said:

fka ftc said:

Now quit trolling.

If I was the Chinese, I'd be tempted to set up a fleet of cars with camera and electronic gear on top, mark them as "Google Street View" cars and send them out to gather intelligence. Instead of being mad about them, everyone would just be smiling for the camera.

Why go through all that trouble when Google would just give it to them.
TyHolden
AG
Chinese are looking at taking over Yellowstone ranch....
Stat Monitor Repairman

aggiehawg
AG
What? NORAD covers Canada. WTH?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-tracked-suspected-chinese-spy-balloon-over-canadian-airspace-since-last-weekend-sources-1.6259770
Rapier108
aggiehawg said:

What? NORAD covers Canada. WTH?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-tracked-suspected-chinese-spy-balloon-over-canadian-airspace-since-last-weekend-sources-1.6259770
NORAD has always been a combined command with Canada as it was originally created to defend North America against a Soviet nuclear attack. Whether it was the threat of Soviet heavy bombers, or intercontinental ballistic missiles, the threat would come from over the North Pole, thus having Canada involved.
fka ftc
Amazing NORAD is nails tracking Santa each year but giant Chinese spy balloon taking a week to cross the ocean on way to US is way too much to expect.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Burdizzo
AG
Bird Poo said:

UntoldSpirit said:

My thoughts are that letting Chinese balloons wander around over the Continental US is a REALLY BAD IDEA, regardless if we think its just collecting data that we aren't that worried about.

I don't think we can know China's intentions with perfect knowledge. EMP weapons? Biological weapons? Nuclear weapons or radiation bombs? Who knows? How can we take this kind of risk just because we THINK we know what the balloon is doing and its relatively harmless?

Seems incredibly ignorant to me. It should have been taken out in Alaska, but any future balloons need to be taken out as soon as we detect them in our airspace. This seems obvious to me and its hard to understand the rationale for letting them do this.

The rationale is 10% to the big guy.

Those chickens are coming home to roost.

This isn't just the idiot in the oval office. When we allow stuff like this to happen I cannot help but think we have a significant number of people high in command who are compromised.

In short, we are China's btch

Just wait. We will give all that stuff back to them to avoid an international incident.
Krazykat
AG
Oh Good Grief. US Military Fears China May Reach Balloon Wreckage Before They Can Get There - Proper Salvage Vessel Won't Be There For Days

https://tiny.iavian.net/1t7dc
TyHolden
AG
Big Money Aggie said:

Oh Good Grief. US Military Fears China May Reach Balloon Wreckage Before They Can Get There - Proper Salvage Vessel Won't Be There For Days

I'd say somebody go get it but our military is probably guarding it
Stat Monitor Repairman
Big Money Aggie said:

Elephant Ghost
The Pentagon was giving the balloon an opportunity to identify itself as a Goodyear blimp while it was drifting over the continent
cbr
AG
Burdizzo said:

Bird Poo said:

UntoldSpirit said:

My thoughts are that letting Chinese balloons wander around over the Continental US is a REALLY BAD IDEA, regardless if we think its just collecting data that we aren't that worried about.

I don't think we can know China's intentions with perfect knowledge. EMP weapons? Biological weapons? Nuclear weapons or radiation bombs? Who knows? How can we take this kind of risk just because we THINK we know what the balloon is doing and its relatively harmless?

Seems incredibly ignorant to me. It should have been taken out in Alaska, but any future balloons need to be taken out as soon as we detect them in our airspace. This seems obvious to me and its hard to understand the rationale for letting them do this.

The rationale is 10% to the big guy.

Those chickens are coming home to roost.

This isn't just the idiot in the oval office. When we allow stuff like this to happen I cannot help but think we have a significant number of people high in command who are compromised.

In short, we are China's btch

Just wait. We will give all that stuff back to them to avoid an international incident.
You understand that obama's main agenda was decimating the senior military of any real americans, and i doubt trump could halt that process given it was already largely done. Certainly its accellerated again under biden and i am pretty well convinced the process may have started as early as w, if nit hw.

If there are any real americans left in the senior military its by accident or keeping heads down against a strong anti american leftist tide.
Stat Monitor Repairman
2023 is a wild place.

We out here talkin' spy balloons.

Who would've thought?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.